Baselayers

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
I currently wear Patagonia Capilene 4 baselayers on any hunt that’s say below 45 degrees. I’m a fairly cold natured person, and most of my hunting is sitting still in a tree. I’ve been wondering if I would get any benefits by switching over to merino wool? I’ve read people rave over First Lite’s baselayers and am wondering if they are something I should look into or any other brands for that matter....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
If I was sitting in a tree I would just get some fleece sweats, top and bottom, and a puffy jacket and pants to put over the top.

Merino wool actually isn't very warm.. it has other benefits like being able to wear multiple days & dissipate sweat without stinking very much.
Check out the Pnuma Iconx heated base layers if you're just sitting in a stand

Bcleck90

WKR
I agree with the posts above. Merino socks and underwear otherwise I like synthetic base layers. I can’t speak to days without a shower or being able to wash them but for what you’re describing I don’t see any benefits.

I’m sure a heavyweight merino like the furnace from First Lite is comfortable. I’m not sure it’s going to be any warmer than a heavyweight set of synthetic.

dtrkyman

WKR
Goose down and thinsulate are great for sitting still.

Cabelas makes base layers in both.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, I haven't found merino to be all that warm.......even the 400gm heavy weight stuff. But for active non-stationary hunting while sweating, especially for days on end......it's great. (y)

OP
Southernhunters

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies guys....I was always under the impression merino would be warmer than my synthetics. Back to the drawing board!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies guys....I was always under the impression merino would be warmer than my synthetics. Back to the drawing board!

Sort of. It retains more warmth when wet and doesn’t dry as fast as polyester. Essentially if you sweat up a merino shirt then a breeze hits you your likely to stay a little warmer. On the other hand polyester will dry and then become warm again. Another benefit to merino is that it’s not as reflective or shiny as a synthetic so it’s more ideal for bow hunting. What worked best for me was a thin ss merino under a synthetic midlayer.