BaseMap App Review for 2020, By Jim Carr

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
So after using Basemaps my honest feedback is mixed. Map quality is indeed much better then OnX, but with that its slower to load both on the app and the desktop. The quality of the map however that has the Topo lines is not good at all and when you do a side by side with OnX it only shows a fraction of the topo lines which is a big downside. As I noted above, i get all these annoying grid lines in 40 acre blocks no matter the size of the property which is a big pain. Then this is specific to WI, but BaseMaps doesnt have a MFL layer(managed forest land) which is private land but open to public hunting- that is a huge miss IMO.

The basics such as line distance, adding waypoints, etc all work fine.

BaseMap

So after using Basemaps my honest feedback is mixed. Map quality is indeed much better then OnX, but with that its slower to load both on the app and the desktop. The quality of the map however that has the Topo lines is not good at all and when you do a side by side with OnX it only shows a fraction of the topo lines which is a big downside. As I noted above, i get all these annoying grid lines in 40 acre blocks no matter the size of the property which is a big pain. Then this is specific to WI, but BaseMaps doesnt have a MFL layer(managed forest land) which is private land but open to public hunting- that is a huge miss IMO.

The basics such as line distance, adding waypoints, etc all work fine.

Thank you for the feedback. We are looking into the MFL land in WI as I personally live here and am pushing for it. But the WI DNR does not make it easy for us to get the information in a format that we can use. But please know that we are looking into it at this time. As for the 40 acre blocks, that is going to be removed in a future update that is coming soon.

Yeah the WI DNR only has a centroid point file per 40 acres. I know of some 40's that have multiple MFL properties but only on point shows on the biggest piece of land.

When will the 3d be available for everyone else. I don't have an i phone. I would at least like it on my desktop.

Any new opinions on this app? I just downloaded it and am playing around with it as my Onx expired now. Testing both apps so far, Onx was much slower and the trail I was scouting was much smaller, and less detailed on Onx.

However, Basemaps seem to have less features available for the free version, one of them making it harder and more time consuming to find the trail I was after.

Would love to hear more reviews from those who have used BM for a few months

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any new opinions on this app? I just downloaded it and am playing around with it as my Onx expired now. Testing both apps so far, Onx was much slower and the trail I was scouting was much smaller, and less detailed on Onx.

However, Basemaps seem to have less features available for the free version, one of them making it harder and more time consuming to find the trail I was after.

Would love to hear more reviews from those who have used BM for a few months
I have the new Pro app they have done some upgrades recently. I'll start a thread on it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great job [mention]Jim Carr [/mention]

Can you or [mention]BaseMap [/mention] verify that I read a comment correctly?

Are you saying that yes, you CAN use 3D while offline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great job [mention]Jim Carr [/mention]

Can you or [mention]BaseMap [/mention] verify that I read a comment correctly?

Are you saying that yes, you CAN use 3D while offline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can NOT use 3d off line on Android atlest I've never been able too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Ive been using the free version of BaseMap lately while we search for mountain property. I really like the property boundaries and it seems the location icon is very close to true. I want to try it on some hiking trails and am wondering if it details known trails like COTREX, Guthook, or Gaia does.
How did you get the property boundaries on the free version? I thought you needed pro for that?

CO-AJ

WKR
How did you get the property boundaries on the free version? I thought you needed pro for that?
Nope. I haven't used it for a while now, this was a pretty old post. But it would put property boundaries on while I had the app online.