BaseMap Staff Review Thread

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Figured out I just had to many layers on for it to load at any reasonable rate. Little disappointing but understandable. I’ve messed around with it some more and really like the 3D tilt. I am having issues on my iPad. I like to do a lot of scouting on my iPad for the bigger screen and none of the layers will work will on 3D earth. I tried with just state boundaries and just unit boundaries, nothing comes up. Not sure if this is known of iPad app has different limitations than iPhone? I still think it’s worth $30 though!

Yes the 3-D Google Earth does not work in off-line mode. I don’t know if that’s because it’s proprietary to Google earth or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaseMap

When adding Markers to the map and setting the Privacy to public the only way they show up on my follower's map (I'm following them also) is if I share the location through text message or email.

Is this intended workflow or am I missing a step so anything that's public will automatically show on my followers map?

Are you talking about the journal or sharing waypoints with friends? If you are referring to the journal, anybody that follows you can see the waypoint if you marked it as public. However, if that isn’t the case you must text or email the waypoint to another user in order fo them to be able to see it and add it to their map. This will require cell or WiFi service.

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
Sharing, thank you for verifying. Just making sure this is the process, makes sense.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Are you talking about the journal or sharing waypoints with friends? If you are referring to the journal, anybody that follows you can see the waypoint if you marked it as public. However, if that isn’t the case you must text or email the waypoint to another user in order fo them to be able to see it and add it to their map. This will require cell or WiFi service.
I'm so glad you clarified that. I didn't really understand the journal. So, if I put it public in my journal, can someone who follows me see it WHILE WE'RE BOTH IN OFF-LINE MODE?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well I'm way past my halfway point for fall hunts. I still give the Basemap a thumbs up. I've used all the main functions (markers, tracks, offline mode/maps, lines, share, edit) with good success.

I didn't use the journal function

Only issues:

1) as already mentioned, I had to delete/reload the app on or about the first use, just became unresponsive. That was in July and no hint of the problem since
2) I need more of my hunt buddies/clients to adopt the system so I can send them markers/tracks
3) I had one track (out of the dozen or so I made) stop recording. I was in offline mode with no service but traveled off my offline map, so that is likely my fault.

Upsides:
1) price, price, price
2) tilt option
3) graphic qualities

Hope that helps, I'm here for questions if needed.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been comparing this with ONX on all of my hunts this fall and its hard to believe they are so similar other than cost.
The only down side I have found is the offline mode explained below-
I like the fact you can download HUGE offline maps but with that comes downsides. I found the map isn't detailed enough showing small lakes, trails, etc.. I found myself favoring ONX on a hunt where i downloaded offline maps with both and didn't have service to try and download smaller maps on Basemap. I also found the map layers were very limited in offline use (might be user error)

Overall, I find it a tad bit harder to navigate within the layers of the app than ONX partly because Im used to ONX and partly because there are more layers with basemap.

upsides for me-
1-price
2-season dates/ draw info
3-layers
4- imagery
5- ease of importing/exporting waypoints

downsides-
1-navigating layers
2- offline use

@robby denning - you are more than welcome to send me waypoints and tracks :)

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've been comparing this with ONX on all of my hunts this fall and its hard to believe they are so similar other than cost.
The only down side I have found is the offline mode explained below-
I like the fact you can download HUGE offline maps but with that comes downsides. I found the map isn't detailed enough showing small lakes, trails, etc.. I found myself favoring ONX on a hunt where i downloaded offline maps with both and didn't have service to try and download smaller maps on Basemap. I also found the map layers were very limited in offline use (might be user error)

Overall, I find it a tad bit harder to navigate within the layers of the app than ONX partly because Im used to ONX and partly because there are more layers with basemap.

upsides for me-
1-price
2-season dates/ draw info
3-layers
4- imagery
5- ease of importing/exporting waypoints

downsides-
1-navigating layers
2- offline use

@robby denning - you are more than welcome to send me waypoints and tracks :)

Will do. I just saw a giant buck in an OTC unit that I won’t be hunting. Watch for it!

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I used the BaseMap exclusively for my Colorado archery deer hunt and I was impressed.
I liked the tilt function, it was s new unit for me and it helped me learn the area better than a flat Ariel view.
There were some trails that were not on the maps but you get that with any mapping software.
Overall I was happy with how it performed. For the cost it’s a steal.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all, I'm headed to a new area next week for a muzzlelaoder mule deer hunt. I'm loading my maps today so I'll let you know how it rolls.

In the meantime, they're running a "Gear Drop" promo. They tell you where they've hid some gear (this week it's in the Bob Marshall Wilderness) and you open the app and try to guess where. If your dropped pin is closest to the actual cache, you win. The way I understand it, you don't have to have a @BaseMap subscription, you can play for free. More info at the link here. Post questions over there or hit me up.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/introducing-geardrop-from-basemap.147156/

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just did my gear drop. Anyone wanting to win should drop near mine for their best chances! (Just kidding)
c1d97607daaa8102cfeb66bc2219bae6.jpg

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using BaseMap a ton this year and it's been exclusively in the offline mode. I've not had any issues with layers, imagery, or crashing in the 3 states I've been using it in. The first time out with it I realized the maps I downloaded were a touch too small and didn't cover all the places the bugling bulls beckoned me. Now I load giant areas with high detail with the only drawback being a longer download time.

Overall I've been really happy with the software. It is really nice to have everything synced between my phone and my home PC.

BaseMap

I've been using BaseMap a ton this year and it's been exclusively in the offline mode. I've not had any issues with layers, imagery, or crashing in the 3 states I've been using it in. The first time out with it I realized the maps I downloaded were a touch too small and didn't cover all the places the bugling bulls beckoned me. Now I load giant areas with high detail with the only drawback being a longer download time.

Overall I've been really happy with the software. It is really nice to have everything synced between my phone and my home PC.

Thank you for the endorsement, Josh!

voodoo

FNG
What I really wish is I could set up a given unit with the layers I want and then hit "Download everything in this unit for offline use, damn file size" button. Warn me if I approach 95% of disk usage.

BaseMap

What I really wish is I could set up a given unit with the layers I want and then hit "Download everything in this unit for offline use, damn file size" button. Warn me if I approach 95% of disk usage.

We appreciate that feedback and it is actually something we are looking into. This has been requested a few times by other users.