BaseMap Vs. OnX, My Review

I have had BaseMap for about 5 months now and had Onx for 2 years and thought I would do an unbiased review of my experience with both thus far. Im a 34 year old hunter who typically spends 30 plus days a year big game hunting and another 30 plus shed hunting and hiking/scouting.

First off I was very excited to see something to compete with OnX as I hunt multiple states so I end up paying almost $100 for OnX a year and BaseMap was available for $30. I was pretty quick to buy it after discovering it and figured at the very least it would make my wife happy, so I paid my $30 and thought if BaseMap was the real deal, I would be saving $70 a year and appeasing a wife who thinks I spend way too much on hunting stuff (Probably just find something else to spend it on but she doesn't need to know that).

First thing I noticed was the sheer number of different maps on BaseMap compared to OnX. BaseMap has way more and it's not even close. Onx has 3 basic maps with multiple overlays and BaseMap according to my count is 14 maps! I will say it's easier to switch between maps on OnX as it's right on the main screen and to switch on BaseMap you have to open a "Layer" menu to change it. But there is tons of maps and an almost endless number of "layers" to display over the maps. Love all the maps on BaseMap. By far my favorite layer is 3D earth and one of the main reasons I wanted to try BaseMap to begin with. It didn't disappoint, it's awesome. The ability to drag and look at the map in a 3D way is awesome. Very cool and a major advantage over OnX in my opinion. I was a little disappointed to learn that you can NOT download the 3D maps for use in offline mode but still cool to look at when I'm at home. And only available on Apple operating systems. Speaking of offline mode, BaseMap has a lot of work to do in this area. To use BaseMap in offline mode you have to choose which map that you previously downloaded you want to view. So if you downloaded multiple maps the night before you have to try and remember which one it is. Furthermore, if you hike/move outside that map area, you have to then go back in to your downloaded maps and pick the new map that is for that area you hiked into. Very clunky and downright annoying when you have to switch between multiple maps all in one day of hiking. OnX clearly wins out in this area as it's seamless to use your offline maps and uses your downloaded maps automatically when you put it in offline mode.

Search functions works very well. I was able to find most areas I knew the name of without having to manually find them on both apps. This is a big time saver for me and very helpful. Gps tracking seems to be spot on when I use both Onx and BaseMap. Never have I had a problem with either so I have never been in want of a "backup" gps. One word of warning about BaseMap is you do NOT have the option of orientating the map to move around the direction you're facing like you do on Onx. BaseMap will show you what direction your facing on your location dot but will not move the map at all to orientate the direction you are facing. Quite frankly this drove me nuts. I thought I was doing something wrong but after researching it and talking to another buddy (who was also a beta tester for BaseMap) I was able to confirm this is correct. This seems stupid to me and was very annoying.

Lastly, I had a problem with BaseMap refusing to open at all yesterday when I was going on a scouting trip. The BaseMap home screen would come up and then shut the app down after anywhere from 1 second to 10 seconds later. I tried manually closing all apps on my phone, restarting my phone and even tried it again when I got back home on my WIFI. Nothing. Would not work. This made me very mad and I was forced to use OnX in its basic mode since I have let my Premium membership expire in the last few weeks. I sent an email to BaseMap and have not heard back yet as of the time of this review. I'm trying to not let this cloud my review but it's honestly tough because if that had happened when I was out hunting on a backpack trip, I would have been extremely upset. I have never had an issue with OnX not working for me. Reliability is very important to me in a GPS app so OnX is better for me in this area.

Overall I would have to say I like some features of both apps. OnX is more user friendly and more reliable but BaseMap has a few features I like and is much less expensive. Based on my experience with both apps, Ill be reactivating my OnX and not renewing/recommending BaseMap. If BaseMap fixes a few things on its app and reliability improves, I'll switch to BaseMap.

What do you guys think? What has been your experience? Hopefully my review was helpful to anyone looking at OnX or BaseMap. Any questions for me don't hesitate to ask. Good luck this Fall!

Ac338

WKR
Thanks for the review. You just "saved" me $18 on camofire to spend on other stuff, think I'll just stick with ONX because of the reliability issue.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Great review. Funny you've had reliability problems with Basemap and not OnX. My experience has been complete opposite where OnX has failed me in the field and never an issue with Basemap. I will add OnX customer service has been very quick (no later than next day) to reply and help fix the issues. Although I like some of the additional features Basemap offers, OnX is still my go-to as I find it more user friendly/easy to navigate.

wapitibob

WKR
E Scout with google earth pro then transfer appropriate data to the phone app before the hunt. GE is far superior to any of the “web map” offerings.
I have never had issues with BaseMap hanging on either android or iPhone.

Greg Beck

WKR
OnX has treated me well. I have been using Basemap lately and I'll admit it has things that frustrate me. Mine also wouldn't work the other day. Hit the app and nothing. Just looked like it was starting to open and than bam! Back to my phone home screen. Also the offline mode isn't as easy for me to navigate. I'm going to keep trying it for a while though.

OP
BeaverHunter
OnX has treated me well. I have been using Basemap lately and I'll admit it has things that frustrate me. Mine also wouldn't work the other day. Hit the app and nothing. Just looked like it was starting to open and than bam! Back to my phone home screen. Also the offline mode isn't as easy for me to navigate. I'm going to keep trying it for a while though.
Exactly what mine was doing. I’ve received an email back from BaseMap and they said it was a problem with that version. They have since updated it and it shouldn’t happen anymore per BaseMap. Makes me wonder what if I wasn’t in cell phone range for awhile, probably wouldn’t have worked for the entire time. I agree BaseMap’s offline maps really need some work. Not easy to use at all.

BaseMap

Thank you for the review. Since this was posted, we have had a few performance updates. This included making the app more reliable, faster, and updated to allow multiple offline map downloads. Please update the app and try it again. If you are having problems, please email us at [email protected]

Brianb3

WKR
Confessions:

I started seeing BaseMap and I am in love. It’s a new partnership and a few things have been rocky but to be expected. Im going to go slow but the future looks good. It’s hot and stable. “Most of the time”

I hate to admit though I’m still seeing OnX. I feel like I’m in a bad relationship that I can’t get out but I’m creating solid boundaries to give me and basemap a chance. I keep OnX still out of comfort not what’s best for me.

Gaia is my one true love. Please don’t judge me. In topo it has always been there for me and when ever I’ve left a trail I can always get back. Super reliable but not the prettiest.

I’m a GPS whore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Block

WKR
I’m in offline mode 80% of the time I’m using OnX so I really have no interest in BaseMap unless they make the 3D mode work offline,,,

For me OnX worked absolutely flawless for 2 years then went threw a period where it was shutting off a lot,,, or every time I’d put the phone in my pocket I’d have to reOpen the app,,, but that seems to have been fixed lately and hasn’t given me any issues for 6 months or so... absolutely love OnX and use it constantly while hunting/scouting.

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
Very interesting review. I've never had a problem with base map and prefer it to onx mapping is way better imo

BaseMap

I’m in offline mode 80% of the time I’m using OnX so I really have no interest in BaseMap unless they make the 3D mode work offline,,,

For me OnX worked absolutely flawless for 2 years then went threw a period where it was shutting off a lot,,, or every time I’d put the phone in my pocket I’d have to reOpen the app,,, but that seems to have been fixed lately and hasn’t given me any issues for 6 months or so... absolutely love OnX and use it constantly while hunting/scouting.

I don’t know that 3D mapping will ever be available offline as that would require a lot of data and info to be stored on your phone.

JRMiller

WKR
Deal breaker for me on BaseMap is minor, but a bit too annoying to deal with.
It takes several steps to toggle back and forth between topo or Sat image.
OnX is one touch

BaseMap

Deal breaker for me on BaseMap is minor, but a bit too annoying to deal with.
It takes several steps to toggle back and forth between topo or Sat image.
OnX is one touch

We appreciate that feedback. I will tell you that it is something that we are currently looking to change within our app. We want all of our users to have the best experience when using BaseMap and this is one thing we are looking to do to make the experience better.

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I really like about OnX is that it's very fast to pull up landowner info. Basemap seems to be real slow and can't/doesn't pull all of the same information.