BaseMap Vs. OnX, My Review

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
what information are we not pulling that you are looking for?

i like how you have the property address listed, but you don’t list tax address or GMU. It’s also incredibly slow to load the data and a bit clunky/busy.

Interesting to see different acreages reported here between you and OnX too. This is the property where my office/warehouse is located. Same property in both screenshots.

DD853C04-55D4-4AD3-A3D8-5B2B69D397CC.png

ABCB0BDC-CB68-414D-B2B4-C90A5A2CA11E.png

BaseMap

i like how you have the property address listed, but you don’t list tax address or GMU. It’s also incredibly slow to load the data and a bit clunky/busy.

Interesting to see different acreages reported here between you and OnX too. This is the property where my office/warehouse is located. Same property in both screenshots.

View attachment 201587

View attachment 201588

Do you have the particular species turned on for the GMU?

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have the particular species turned on for the GMU?

To be honest, I’m not sure. I strongly dislike that “feature” in general. I don’t want to have to choose a species to get the GMU of an area and I don’t like how when the GMU is selected it overlays it all over the entire map

BaseMap

To be honest, I’m not sure. I strongly dislike that “feature” in general. I don’t want to have to choose a species to get the GMU of an area and I don’t like how when the GMU is selected it overlays it all over the entire map

For reference, our competitor does the same thing. It is required as each species may or may not have a different unit boundary. It keeps you legal if you have a unit specific tag.

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
For reference, our competitor does the same thing. It is required as each species may or may not have a different unit boundary. It keeps you legal if you have a unit specific tag.

I’m fine with species information and detail, when I want it. However, I hunt in lots of places in my state and if I choose Rocky Mtn Elk then I don’t see any GMU listings for the west side of the state that has Roosevelt Elk. Also, maybe I want to hunt other species. I don’t like having to select a particular species. I don’t believe I have anything species specific selected in OnX.

BaseMap

I’m fine with species information and detail, when I want it. However, I hunt in lots of places in my state and if I choose Rocky Mtn Elk then I don’t see any GMU listings for the west side of the state that has Roosevelt Elk. Also, maybe I want to hunt other species. I don’t like having to select a particular species. I don’t believe I have anything species specific selected in OnX.

onX does require you to select a species. Again, not every animal has the same GMU boundary or unit number.

Logan80

Lil-Rokslider
onX does require you to select a species. Again, not every animal has the same GMU boundary or unit number.

From what I can find in the app, it will allow you to select from a few species, or just list GMU in general. I’ve never heard of different species having different GMUs. That’s not a thing in Washington State as far as I know.

99548EE8-0B42-4D72-A388-330970FC2B46.png

BaseMap

From what I can find in the app, it will allow you to select from a few species, or just list GMU in general. I’ve never heard of different species having different GMUs. That’s not a thing in Washington State as far as I know.

View attachment 201774

Where I hunt in WY, deer and elk have different boundaries and unit numbers. Just don't focus on what it is like in WA as each state is different.

JoeDirt

WKR
Hey BaseMap, If you add Google Terrain to be available offline next year i'll re up my subscription ;);););)

I hunt thick forest and with Google Terrain you can see old forestry roads cut into hillsides!

Also my maps do not seem to download in the background? I need the app open and my screen on for faster downloading and that kill my battery (n)

4ester

WKR
I also agree with the maps downloading in the background. Some of the maps are quite large and i cannot do anything on my phone without interrupting.

wapitibob

WKR
.... and I don’t like how when the GMU is selected it overlays it all over the entire map

^^ this
Basemap shows the gmu name in seemingly every section. Turn the outline on for the gmu and use a single number or name designation once zoomed to the gmu extents, depending on the states common practices (OR/UT use names, WY/MT use numbers).

BaseMap

Hey BaseMap, If you add Google Terrain to be available offline next year i'll re up my subscription ;);););)

I hunt thick forest and with Google Terrain you can see old forestry roads cut into hillsides!

Also my maps do not seem to download in the background? I need the app open and my screen on for faster downloading and that kill my battery (n)

Watch for a future update on downloading offline maps in the background

BaseMap

Just want to say thanks to basemap for having an open dialog with your customers and potential customers. It is refreshing to see a business (and sponsor) interact and accept advice/criticism. Wish you the best and will look at giving you a go!

We really do appreciate the comment. It is our pleasure to interact with our current and hopefully future customers. We have no problem answering any questions that anybody has. Thank you for your support.

Reviving this thread as I think there’s been several updates to both apps. Any experiences good/bad with the newer versions of these apps? Also curios on any experience using the Eastman Hunting research layer in BaseMap

bfuda

FNG
Great info, I've used OnX for years and it's a very useful tool but I find that when you start to add lines, waypoints, boundaries, it gets very buggy with things not turning on/off as they should. I'll have to give BaseMap a try.

Cntrmass

FNG
Thanks for the review, hopefully they get the issues worked out. Competition is good for all of us.
I have an extra CO chip if anyone needs it.