BaseMap vs OnX

I'm considering making the switch to BaseMap. The 3D tilt would be sweet.

Any reason why location data would be more accurate for one service versus the other? I really want to trust where I stand is reflected accurately on the map.

Also, Les took issue with the level of zoom for BaseMap topo maps. Anyone else have an issue with that? I can see why a tight zoom that Les desired would be necessary. I don't know what OnX is like.

Any other main items that push you own way or another?

I'm anxious to hear why guys are going with one or the other.

Thanks so much!

wapitibob

WKR
Both were within a cpl feet for me, android and iphone.
USGS Topo in Basemap goes away after 500 feet, OnX uses their own topo and shows to ground level. Detail looks to be about the same.
Unless it has changed, Basemap requires that I pick each offline map to display as I move from one map to another. I believe this is because you can mix/match map layers for each individual offline map tile. Onx downloads all 3 of their map types for each off line map so they can show them all seamlessly. That's my only real downside with Basemap and more a function of how I use the apps. If your hunt area is only a few offline maps it's not a big deal.

I believe all 3 vendors will provide a 7 day trial.

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
Basemaps was the worst thing I have spent money on is the last year. Nothing worked correctly and it was very frustrating. On X was a much better choice for me.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Basemaps was the worst thing I have spent money on is the last year. Nothing worked correctly and it was very frustrating. On X was a much better choice for me.

I've had the exact opposite experience. OnX is always glitched on my phone. But would like to see Basemap offline maps be seamless.

Have both. Like both for certain reasons. Never have “glitchy” issues with either. Couple things I don’t like with base map:
1. Having to switch between downloaded maps and pick the map style when you down load it. On onX it downloads the couple different maps they have and Switches between downloaded maps automatically.
2. No way to orientate the map to you and the direction you’re facing. Will only show a directional arrow the direction your facing. Might not be explaining that correctly but it’s very simple to do on onX.

All in all I love the price of basemap and feel with a couple tweaks, it would really disrupt onX’s business model(maybe just force them to bring their price down).

lawbu

FNG
I have onX and used it last year and it didn't always work for me...even offline.

cwegga

FNG
Once for me. It has problems, but the way Basemaps deals with offline maps is unacceptable. I usually don't hunt where there is good reception so offline maps are everything. Basemaps individual offline chunks provide a horrible experience. It needs to be seamless. With onx I download my whole state at low detail to have property boundary info and then get high detail where I'm hunting. Then I can just range wherever and the offline map follows me.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I use both as they each have their pros and cons. I feel OnX is easier and faster to navigate and they have a much better topo map. I also like the way the trails are displayed with steepness by color while Basemap seems to be missing trails that OnX shows. OnX does glitch for me and without service and the app doesn't work, man that will get your blood pressure up. One of my favorite features that Basemap has is the the picture attachment. If I get to a spring or up to a glassing point it's awesome to be able to snap a photo and it attaches right to that location.

kman87

FNG
I feel like OnX went through some growing pains a while back w the software and a few minor bugs, but to me it is the most streamline and effective tool out there. Give GAIA a look though, pretty cool product, and some buddies like it as well.

Gaia has added a ton of layers that Onx has, so when you look at cost vs what you get, I put Gaia number one on my list now as well. I got it originally as it had what I needed, which was just unit/property boundaries and a ton of different aerial and tops options, and it was cheaper than Onx. Now with the new layers such as roadless areas, timber sales, wildfire overlays, etc. it should be pushing things in the GPS mapping app industry to get better and better as companies look at ways to gain customers compared to the competition.

Ace531

FNG
Those that are using Gaia, how well does it work offline/airplane mode? Are the maps detailed enough with boundary lines and such? I'm heading to WY on an antelope hunt (first time) in a unit that has a fair amount of checker-boarding, and want to make sure we don't cross the wrong lines.

Gaia would be my pick. Onx was very glitchy for me. Lots of force closes and incorrect gps location. I tried to rely on it for way point marking when it counted, and the accuracy was not acceptable. Gaia works awesome in offline mode, and seems to be a lot faster updating and refreshing map info.

Those that are using Gaia, how well does it work offline/airplane mode? Are the maps detailed enough with boundary lines and such? I'm heading to WY on an antelope hunt (first time) in a unit that has a fair amount of checker-boarding, and want to make sure we don't cross the wrong lines.

I've not had an issue with no service up here in WNC mountains or trips to NW Missouri and the Sandhills of NE. You can save images just like Onx if need be as well. They have a good tutorial how to do so on the website. I took 3-4 screenshots of the NE unit I hunted, saved them and was able to access them if needed. Took all of 5-10 minutes to do.

Ace531

FNG
I've not had an issue with no service up here in WNC mountains or trips to NW Missouri and the Sandhills of NE. You can save images just like Onx if need be as well. They have a good tutorial how to do so on the website. I took 3-4 screenshots of the NE unit I hunted, saved them and was able to access them if needed. Took all of 5-10 minutes to do.
Thanks for the reply. I think I will give it a shot and play around with it.