BaseMap vs OnX

BaseMap

Once for me. It has problems, but the way Basemaps deals with offline maps is unacceptable. I usually don't hunt where there is good reception so offline maps are everything. Basemaps individual offline chunks provide a horrible experience. It needs to be seamless. With onx I download my whole state at low detail to have property boundary info and then get high detail where I'm hunting. Then I can just range wherever and the offline map follows me.

BaseMap has updated their app and you can now have and use unlimited offline maps. You no longer have to select which map is active at anyone time. They are all active at once. Hope that helps.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
BaseMap has updated their app and you can now have and use unlimited offline maps. You no longer have to select which map is active at anyone time. They are all active at once. Hope that helps.

That was really my only complaint. Nice work guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaseMap

That was really my only complaint. Nice work guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are working on some other great features right now! Have you downloaded the most recent update? It now has what we are calling "smart markers." Any waypoint you add after the update will show you current weather info, sunset time, sunrise time, etc.

kiddogy

WKR
so , from an old tech ignorant how do you get base maps on your cell phone???

I did at least upgrade from a flip to a galaxy smartphone this year.

brous8732

FNG
I just started using Gaia GPS and so far it has been awesome. Right now it's my goto for hunting and backcountry skiing. Very easy to use and more versatile than OnX in my opinion. All of the necessary hunting map layers and it's got the slope angle contour shading layer from CalTopo which is incredibly useful for evaluating terrain difficulty and avoiding avalanches in winter.

BCD

WKR
I have never seen basemap. I like a lot of things about On X but the topo detail is horrible.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Following. Used onx this year. Happy at first then I discovered how much better it works on my friends android, that bummed me out on it. I’ve used Gaia in the past and will probably switch back to that.

gburk

WKR
for $18 i'm trying it! not a fan of onX on iOS, sucks battery when phone offline, horrible screen re-draw performance even with saved maps, overall clumsy interface. Will let you how much i don't like Basemap too, just give me a little while lol

OnX on IPhone / iOS is weak. Drains battery and just drops when I have two bars with out warning.. Map saving is good for offline ahead of time. But for a day hunt using OnX I must bring a battery pack to keep charged. We might have the worst cell coverage in the lower 48 and because of that I still carry paper maps and a Garmin Rino GPS to be safe

Onx has already auto-renewed for me but I may still try Basemap since they have people active here. Do they ever run an x day trail period or something along those lines so I could check it out? Are you able to navigate to a waypoint like you can in Onx? Onx shows my position on the map and indicators turns/move when I move.

BaseMap

Onx has already auto-renewed for me but I may still try Basemap since they have people active here. Do they ever run an x day trail period or something along those lines so I could check it out? Are you able to navigate to a waypoint like you can in Onx? Onx shows my position on the map and indicators turns/move when I move.

You are able to navigate to a saved waypoint just like in other mapping apps. We do not have a trial period, but we do have a free membership option. It provides some limited functions, but does not include any of the landowner information.

You are able to navigate to a saved waypoint just like in other mapping apps. We do not have a trial period, but we do have a free membership option. It provides some limited functions, but does not include any of the landowner information.

Ok, thanks. I will check it out.

excaliber

WKR
Never had any issues with On-X but I don't use it on my cell phone. I use it on my Garmin Montana 650T
A friend uses On-X on his Android phone and I hate the way it works on it. Much better on the GPS

Newmanj40

FNG
If you are using gaia you can actually put your phone in airplane mode and it will still work

Brooks

WKR
I had on x and Gaia at the same time and thought Gaia was a better bang for your buck.... both really good but you get so much more for so much less with Gaia GPS

wapitibob

WKR
OnX on IPhone / iOS is weak. Drains battery and just drops when I have two bars with out warning.. Map saving is good for offline ahead of time. But for a day hunt using OnX I must bring a battery pack to keep charged. We might have the worst cell coverage in the lower 48 and because of that I still carry paper maps and a Garmin Rino GPS to be safe

The battery drains because the phone is searching for service and constantly updating the map display via the data connection. Don't use a data connection when in the field, ever, and your problems will go away.