Basic Budget Point and Shoot Riflescope

My dad has only hunted shotgun zones for deer his whole life but I bought land in a rifle zone last year it's time to get him outfitted with a deer rifle. This will only be used on a 40 acre central MN property and shots are most likely to be 10-50 yards. No dialing or anything that, just looking for a bright, fairly reliable, point and shoot scope. The low magnification stuff typically has small objectives so I wonder how bright they are. Maybe you don't need more than 24mm objectives at lower power?

Anyway, the meopta optika5 2-10x42 is what looks most intriguing to me at this point and thats about the price point we probably want to stay at. If anyone has other options you'd recommend i'm all ears.

I'll probably avoid Leupold/vortex.

Motown

WKR
For the distances you listed I would go with the Burris FF2 3-9. You get a lot of scope for $150 or under.

sndmn11

WKR
My dad has only hunted shotgun zones for deer his whole life but I bought land in a rifle zone last year it's time to get him outfitted with a deer rifle. This will only be used on a 40 acre central MN property and shots are most likely to be 10-50 yards. No dialing or anything that, just looking for a bright, fairly reliable, point and shoot scope. The low magnification stuff typically has small objectives so I wonder how bright they are. Maybe you don't need more than 24mm objectives at lower power?

Anyway, the meopta optika5 2-10x42 is what looks most intriguing to me at this point and thats about the price point we probably want to stay at. If anyone has other options you'd recommend i'm all ears.

I'll probably avoid Leupold/vortex.
I'd order up a Maven C series as my first choice for those parameters.

My second choice would be this specific model https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1578249-REG/meopta_1032569_2_10x42_optika_5_riflescope.html

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Go with that optika 5. I just got the optika 6 and love that scope, not sure you can beat meopta prices for what you get.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
-Don't discount red dot scopes. 50 yard shots don't need magnified aiming devices, imo.
-Don't discount fixed power scopes in 2, 3 or 4X mag. Fewer moving parts means fewer things to potentially break, lower production cost, and lower retail cost.
-You really don't need more than 4X for anything under 100 yards.
-Regarding objective diameter and scope "brightness": The exit pupil of the optic is the important thing here. A 9 power scope with a 42mm obj lens will be dimmer to your eye than a 4 power scope with a 24mm objective, for example. Read up on exit pupil here.

The optika5 is a serious step above Burris FF2. I have both, and wouldn't buy another Burris for the price difference.

Much better eye relief, actual eye box, better useable glass at the edges.