Basic Gear List Advice

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey all,
Over this last winter, I've been slowly assembling my backpacking setup for the coming year. I usually road hunt, or have my side by side with me, so weight isn't an issue. I want to do some backpacking trips this year and need some advice. My pack is already at 32lbs and that's without water, weapon, clothes, and fuel. I know I need to downsize my heavy sleeping pad. I'm looking at an Xtherm for that. Not sure what else I can do. I know my pack is heavy, but I love my Badlands Vario pack...as much as it's hated, I just love it. I know I'm missing a bunch of other stuff on here as well, but this is just my starter kit. Still missing game bags, kill kit, etc. That's why I'm concerned about weight. Any other advice, please fire away!
Thanks!
021 items522.75 oz
Hexpeak XL TentLuxe Hiking34.08 oz
🔲3W Tent StoveLuxe Hiking64.10 oz
🔲Half Hex Inner TentLuxe Hiking20.80 oz
🔲Tyvek Tent FloorLuxe Hiking4.40 oz
🔲Shelter PoleLuxe Hiking10.40 oz
🔲Nemo Disco 1545 oz
🔲Cabelas Instinct Sleeping Pad43.50 oz
🔲Trekology Pillow2.80 oz
🔲Jetboil MiniMo14 oz
🔲Grayl Purifier Bottle10.90 oz
🔲Toaks 650ml Pot2.80 oz
🔲Toaks Spork0.63 oz
🔲Resmed AirMini17.26 oz
🔲Goal Zero Sherpa 100AC32 oz
🔲High Country TripodVortex 35.20 oz
🔲Diamondback HD 10x50Vortex30 oz
🔲Razor HD 4000 Rangefinder Vortex9.90 oz
🔲Vario FrameBadlands84 oz
🔲Vario 50 OSBadlands37 oz
🔲Adventure Medical Kit6.70 oz
🔲Surviveware Wipes 17.28 oz

clint6760

FNG
If that was my gear I would ditch the inner tent and try to use a trekking pole for the tent. If you are needing a stove there shouldn’t be any bug or tick issues. The sleeping pad and bag both combined are a really heavy combo. I would look at upgrading both of those and you could go from 90 oz to 50 oz pretty easy. Do these changes drops about 4 pounds.

Shelter wipes and 2nd back pack look at some lighter options. Is there a CPAP machine in there also lighter pad

OP
Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
If that was my gear I would ditch the inner tent and try to use a trekking pole for the tent. If you are needing a stove there shouldn’t be any bug or tick issues. The sleeping pad and bag both combined are a really heavy combo. I would look at upgrading both of those and you could go from 90 oz to 50 oz pretty easy. Do these changes drops about 4 pounds.

I thought about using a trekking pole. I just already had this setup, so I didn’t really modify that. I figured it’s drop some oz if I did. And any recommendations on bag? Already planned on getting a new pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about using a trekking pole. I just already had this setup, so I didn’t really modify that. I figured it’s drop some oz if I did. And any recommendations on bag? Already planned on getting a new pad.

That's a heavy pack. With dropping weight it's all about budget. Lots of good sleeping bag s out there but they can be pretty pricey. I'm down to 19lb base weight but it's taken me a few years to accumulate everything and hone my gear down. You're not bringing lots of stuff you don't need which is a big plus just have to upgrade

OP
Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
So far, I'm looking at trading in my sleeping pad for an Xtherm and my sleeping bag for an EE Revelation...I'm *close* to being convinced of another pack...but I love my Badlands. I'm sort of eyeing a SG Evo.

So far, I'm looking at trading in my sleeping pad for an Xtherm and my sleeping bag for an EE Revelation...I'm *close* to being convinced of another pack...but I love my Badlands. I'm sort of eyeing a SG Evo.
Look at seek outside packs also you can pick them up here from Time to time super light and very comfortable. Sounds like you are well on your way to lighten up your kit. Let me know how you like the quilt I have been eyeing one for awhile

OP
Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Look at seek outside packs also you can pick them up here from Time to time super light and very comfortable. Sounds like you are well on your way to lighten up your kit. Let me know how you like the quilt I have been eyeing one for awhile
I'm very up in the air about one. I have the Disco 15...and I'm in AK, and try to get everything to match up with the winter weather here because you never know.....except I end up never going camping/hunting in the winter. So I'm so torn on a 0 degree or a 10 degree quilt...

I'm very up in the air about one. I have the Disco 15...and I'm in AK, and try to get everything to match up with the winter weather here because you never know.....except I end up never going camping/hunting in the winter. So I'm so torn on a 0 degree or a 10 degree quilt...
Yeah I'm also skeptical figured I would try a 20 or 30 this summer and see if I like it. What part of Alaska are you in I was born in kenia and I'm headed to Healy in August for a sheep hunt can't wait

OP
Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah I'm also skeptical figured I would try a 20 or 30 this summer and see if I like it. What part of Alaska are you in I was born in kenia and I'm headed to Healy in August for a sheep hunt can't wait

I'm in Anchorage, but am all over for fishing, Sutton and Fairbanks for Moose, Denali for 'bou, and all over for predators. So that's why it's difficult to find a common denominator. So if you're looking at a 20-30...a 10 should suffice anywhere. Especially if I have a stove in my tent.

I'm in Anchorage, but am all over for fishing, Sutton and Fairbanks for Moose, Denali for 'bou, and all over for predators. So that's why it's difficult to find a common denominator. So if you're looking at a 20-30...a 10 should suffice anywhere. Especially if I have a stove in my tent.
I think there's a zero degree ee in the classified right now

Napperm4

WKR
Backpack hunting is going to be heavy because hunts can be gear intensive. For example on a sheep hunt I’m going to have a heavy tripod for stability, my 95mm swaro and a pair of ELs. That’s about 10 lbs of just optics alone. Add in my rifle (yes I’ve done lightweight and carbon) which is a custom tikka and comes in at hair over 9 lbs loaded and scoped. I also pack along an air mini, resmed pilot 24 lite and the resmed 50 solar panel. That’s already another 4 lbs that other guys aren’t carrying.

I take the extra weight because that gear is priceless on that hunt. I’m also packing a sturdier tent and a bag instead of a quilt. The extra gear, means a larger bag which also means more weight.

On an early season mountain elk hunt I’m going to be a lot lighter on glass, tripod, less insulated clothing, quilt instead of bag, no wood stove, tarp shelter, smaller bag etc.

If you’re just getting into backpack hunting - saving ounces can cost thousands upon thousands and you can spend a fortune in time and money researching, trying what’s recommended on gear lists or chasing a target base weight.

What I suggest to anyone new or contemplating backpacking or backpack hunting is the same as most with experience will tell you.

Get the most comfortable pack, boots and sleep system you can afford. Focus more on what is comfortable for you and matches your style of hunting and the terrain / climate. You can always upgrade later too.

If you’re happy with your badlands pack, is a pound or two of savings worth the $900 for a new pack set up?

Are you going to be good with just a tyto and some blades because it’s light or is 2 ounces worth it to have a fixed blade knife?

Total pack weight is worth some concern but it’s more important in my view to train with the weight you will be carrying. That makes the hunt so much easier.

If you can lose some weight from your body, focus on those weight savings too.

Look at guys like Aron Snyder that are packing super heavy loads. It’s doable and a light pack to him might be 65lbs.

Google Andrew Skurka ultralight hunting gear list and you can see the other extreme. I wouldn’t take on a mountain hunt with that little gear because I prefer a better comfort level.

When I started out my average hiking 1 week load out weight was 35 lbs with food and water. 55 when I did the west coast trail with my wife because I brought a lot of extras to keep her more comfortable.

I have done the cut the toothbrush handle off ultra light hiking where I had my big 3 (pack, tent, sleeping bag) under 8 lbs. 14 lbs with water and food for 3 days.

Even using that ultralight gear, I was above 40 for a hunting trip with the additional gear hunting requires.

These days for 4-5 day pack hunting I’m aiming to start at 50 - 60 lbs.

By comparison to that, you’re already on a great track.

Tips for your list:

I would look into a lighter pack if backpack hunting becomes something you will do more of. I am switching from mystery ranch guide lite to a Kuiu pro for the weight savings.

You can lighten up the wood stove and shelter. If you need a woodstove, you don’t need the nest.

I like a Sawyer mini in a gravity set up for my filter. It weighs about 4 oz and takes up little space.

Ditch the jetboil and get a compact stove like the etekcity or BRS budget stove on amazon, an msr pocket rocket or my personal favourite a Soto micro regulator. Use your Toaks Titanium pot for boiling water. If you have the woodstove, I use a snowpeak mug to boil water on mine and leave the gas stove home.

Get a lighter tripod. You aren’t packing (or at least listing) a spotter. Look for a vortex summit ss (ball head version) and remove the lowest leg segments. Or go with something carbon fibre like a slik 624 and benro 00 ball head.

If you can get into the quilt thing, look into one of them and you can find some weight savings there too.

Go through your first aid kit and take out the things that you don’t need. Mine is basically down to leukotape, steri strips, handful of bandaids, ibuprofen, Imodium, Zantac and Tylenol Pm as well as prescription meds.

Don’t over pack your clothes. One full set of layers and an extra pair of undies and socks.

For a kill kit, take a hard look at the argali outdoors option. I have the carbon knife and it’s great. Waiting for the game bags to arrive but they’re half the weight of my caribou high country predator bags and highly reviewed.

All of that advice will save you around 8-10 lbs but at a huge hit to your wallet.

Ultimately you’ll be best served picking the gear that fits your budget, needs and objectives, then train, train, train to get your body used to it. That extra weight in your wallet will probably feel better than 10 lbs less of budget is a concern.

OP
Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Backpack hunting is going to be heavy because hunts can be gear intensive. For example on a sheep hunt I’m going to have a heavy tripod for stability, my 95mm swaro and a pair of ELs. That’s about 10 lbs of just optics alone. Add in my rifle (yes I’ve done lightweight and carbon) which is a custom tikka and comes in at hair over 9 lbs loaded and scoped. I also pack along an air mini, resmed pilot 24 lite and the resmed 50 solar panel. That’s already another 4 lbs that other guys aren’t carrying.

I take the extra weight because that gear is priceless on that hunt. I’m also packing a sturdier tent and a bag instead of a quilt. The extra gear, means a larger bag which also means more weight.

On an early season mountain elk hunt I’m going to be a lot lighter on glass, tripod, less insulated clothing, quilt instead of bag, no wood stove, tarp shelter, smaller bag etc.

If you’re just getting into backpack hunting - saving ounces can cost thousands upon thousands and you can spend a fortune in time and money researching, trying what’s recommended on gear lists or chasing a target base weight.

What I suggest to anyone new or contemplating backpacking or backpack hunting is the same as most with experience will tell you.

Get the most comfortable pack, boots and sleep system you can afford. Focus more on what is comfortable for you and matches your style of hunting and the terrain / climate. You can always upgrade later too.

If you’re happy with your badlands pack, is a pound or two of savings worth the $900 for a new pack set up?

Are you going to be good with just a tyto and some blades because it’s light or is 2 ounces worth it to have a fixed blade knife?

Total pack weight is worth some concern but it’s more important in my view to train with the weight you will be carrying. That makes the hunt so much easier.

If you can lose some weight from your body, focus on those weight savings too.

Look at guys like Aron Snyder that are packing super heavy loads. It’s doable and a light pack to him might be 65lbs.

Google Andrew Skurka ultralight hunting gear list and you can see the other extreme. I wouldn’t take on a mountain hunt with that little gear because I prefer a better comfort level.

When I started out my average hiking 1 week load out weight was 35 lbs with food and water. 55 when I did the west coast trail with my wife because I brought a lot of extras to keep her more comfortable.

I have done the cut the toothbrush handle off ultra light hiking where I had my big 3 (pack, tent, sleeping bag) under 8 lbs. 14 lbs with water and food for 3 days.

Even using that ultralight gear, I was above 40 for a hunting trip with the additional gear hunting requires.

These days for 4-5 day pack hunting I’m aiming to start at 50 - 60 lbs.

By comparison to that, you’re already on a great track.

Tips for your list:

I would look into a lighter pack if backpack hunting becomes something you will do more of. I am switching from mystery ranch guide lite to a Kuiu pro for the weight savings.

You can lighten up the wood stove and shelter. If you need a woodstove, you don’t need the nest.

I like a Sawyer mini in a gravity set up for my filter. It weighs about 4 oz and takes up little space.

Ditch the jetboil and get a compact stove like the etekcity or BRS budget stove on amazon, an msr pocket rocket or my personal favourite a Soto micro regulator. Use your Toaks Titanium pot for boiling water. If you have the woodstove, I use a snowpeak mug to boil water on mine and leave the gas stove home.

Get a lighter tripod. You aren’t packing (or at least listing) a spotter. Look for a vortex summit ss (ball head version) and remove the lowest leg segments. Or go with something carbon fibre like a slik 624 and benro 00 ball head.

If you can get into the quilt thing, look into one of them and you can find some weight savings there too.

Go through your first aid kit and take out the things that you don’t need. Mine is basically down to leukotape, steri strips, handful of bandaids, ibuprofen, Imodium, Zantac and Tylenol Pm as well as prescription meds.

Don’t over pack your clothes. One full set of layers and an extra pair of undies and socks.

For a kill kit, take a hard look at the argali outdoors option. I have the carbon knife and it’s great. Waiting for the game bags to arrive but they’re half the weight of my caribou high country predator bags and highly reviewed.

All of that advice will save you around 8-10 lbs but at a huge hit to your wallet.

Ultimately you’ll be best served picking the gear that fits your budget, needs and objectives, then train, train, train to get your body used to it. That extra weight in your wallet will probably feel better than 10 lbs less of budget is a concern.

Thank you. Most informative post so far. I’m going to do some juggling around and see what I can come up with from this post. I’ve been thinking about all of this, I just needed someone to say it to push me to if.

Also, as far as the wood stove, I think I stated above, once spring/summer hit, I won’t need it. It’s just overkill for winter...except I never go out during winter lol.

Napperm4

WKR
Thank you. Most informative post so far. I’m going to do some juggling around and see what I can come up with from this post. I’ve been thinking about all of this, I just needed someone to say it to push me to if.

Also, as far as the wood stove, I think I stated above, once spring/summer hit, I won’t need it. It’s just overkill for winter...except I never go out during winter lol.

You might go out in winter once you use a stove. I get more use out of mine during the shoulder seasons than winter. It’s nice when the days are rainy or cool, great when the nights get long and the sun sets early. Awesome for drying gear and honestly tends to motivate me out of my bed on time because I’m not going to get that blast of cold air when I get up.

I forgot to mention, the best way to cut weight is to bring a partner and split the load