Basic peep install question

Kimi

FNG
I've watched so many tutorials on installing peep's, but no one has addressed this (probably stupid) question I have.

I bought a new bow (mail, wasnt a local store), and asked the them to install the peep and not tie it down, since I wanted to adjust height myself before tying it down properly.

It's actually quite a bit off right now, needs to be raised about an inch (maybe more). After placing a bow into a press, is the normal practise to just slide the peep up (which would tighten the twist tension on the string above the peep, and lower it below the peep). Or it is to slide the peep up and follow the twist in the string, which would end up with less twists above the peep and more below the peep relative to where the peep sits between the cams. I think the equivalent to this would be to remove the peep, and adjust the hole position by rotating the "hole" to allow it to move up the string, and reinstalling the peep.

Is one method more correct the the other?

I hope that makes sense...

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I just pull the peep out and put it in where you need it. Likely have to twist sting in order for it to line up anyway

OP
K

Kimi

FNG
I just pull the peep out and put it in where you need it. Likely have to twist sting in order for it to line up anyway
When you remove the peep, and then move the gap/hole up, do you just move it straight up with your finger, or do you rotate the strings around the gap, so that it winds the string below the peep and unwinds above the peep ?

For example, if you had a string silencer or speed nock above your peep. Do you decrease the number of twists between your peep and string silencer when moving it up, or do you keep the number of twists the same.

Rob5589

WKR
Keep the strand bundles even, pull the peep, split the bundles, install peep, check for height and alignment. If you just try to slide it an inch or more, it'll likely be 180 degrees or so out once you release tension on the string/limbs.

Yooper

WKR
Keep the strand bundles even, pull the peep, split the bundles, install peep, check for height and alignment. If you just try to slide it an inch or more, it'll likely be 180 degrees or so out once you release tension on the string/limbs.
This is exactly what I would do, too.

I agree with the advice to remove it and re-insert it where you need it, otherwise you are messing a lot with twists in the string and likely to end up fighting yourself getting it aligned correctly.

MattB

WKR
I would press it to take a little tension off the string, slide it up to the right height, tie it in, shoot it a few times to let everything settle, and then add/delete twists to get it straight if needed. Even if you set it at the right height and move strands to get it straight, tying it in can cause it to turn differently and result in you having to add/delete twists to get it straight. You can also turn your d-loop a bit around the string to align with the peep to fine tune the alignment.

sndmn11

WKR
Either press it and slide a piece of paracord or similar in between the two halves of the string and slide that up, or come to full draw, anchor, and have someone slide it up to the correct height, then adjust it by flipping it around and/or adding/subtracting twists.

You do not want to slide it in the sting while it is at brace.

sreal217

FNG
For being new to archery(have not shot my compound bow)would you say I can put in my peep sight or should I go to a shop to help me out with it.