Battery powered chainsaws.

Own a Stihl electric & use it for small stuff around the yard including cutting up the occasional large sweetgum branch that has fallen. Works great. Good battery performance. Only thing I don’t like about it is the little micro chain, but it cuts great.

Yeah I've read that the first thing you should do on the Dewalt is replace the o-ring on the bar oil cap.

$250 for one 10Ah battery :oops:
I have other dewalt tools so it's easier to swallow the price...I was getting 2 days worth of firewood for the stove in 30-40 degree weather on a battery this year during my elk hunt. I have some 5ah batteries too...they don't like to spend the night in the cold..lol
Extra chain is a good idea too...

Anyone have the Dewalt 20v saw? Got it for Christmas and wondering what batteries to get for it. Looks like it's usually paired with the 5ah. The cost/ah really seems to jump up above that. I'm just using it for moderate forest road clearing and the occasional camp fire

I have this saw and with limited use the 5ah batt has been great.

(2) 5 Ah = $150

(2) 6I Ah = $260

Rich M

WKR
I have a Ryobi 18 inch, 40 w i think.

It is a good light duty option and pretty quiet.

It sucks for taking down a large maple. I get about 12-14 inches per battery and feel like a beaver working on that tree. Took the top off nicely, just not made for big stuff. Some saw dust on left side of base.

If you are trying to down a real tree, gas is the way to go.
9248BAF7-91FB-4142-BEDE-74556A6FFF21.jpeg

Im in the dewalt tool ecosystem at home so I got one of their chainsaws. It’s excellent for yard work tasks. If you’re invested in a particular tool brand (and their batteries), then go with that. Tools alone don’t cost a whole lot.

twall13

WKR
I got the Milwaukee electric chainsaw for Christmas. No experience with it yet but I already have that battery platform with other tools so it made sense. It won't be for having use so I'm pretty confident it's going to work great for my needs around the yard or clearing trails.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Not a chainsaw, but I have a DeWalt 60 volt angle grinder, I can start with 4 charged batteries (three 9 amp hr and one 6 amp hr) and with dropping a battery on a fast charger every time one dies (I have 3 fast chargers) still end up with down time because I don't have a charged battery.

So, for small jobs, great, for bigger jobs, get a gas saw.

The only drawback I have seen is that at least on the dwalt the smaller kerf is prone to pinching . You have to either keep wedges handy or be cautious in cutting. I did have someone that they put a differant bar on one and the bigger chain. I can't remember if it was a milwaukee or a stihl.

Anyone have the Dewalt 20v saw? Got it for Christmas and wondering what batteries to get for it. Looks like it's usually paired with the 5ah. The cost/ah really seems to jump up above that. I'm just using it for moderate forest road clearing and the occasional camp firewood.

(2) 5 Ah = $150
(2) 6 Ah = $260
Let me give you at least some of MY insight/experience on the Dewalt saw…

For what it is, it is awesome. As some have said, replace the O ring almost immediately, but even doing so, it will still leak some oil. I would recommend throwing a small wedge in with you while you are out in about. I’ve used it to cut some 24” logs. Just have to take it in pieces and cut all four sides. I have seen some videos of some people changing the bar to a longer one (16” I think) and still having plenty of power.

Lastly, as for the batteries…I went with the “knock offs” version off Amazon. These:

You get two of these batteries for $70 and they work very well. Again, maybe not up to par with the “official” Dewalt batteries, but I can buy 4 of these for the price of one of the others. And I would say they are probably 80% of what a Dewalt one is. Anyway, I’ve been super happy with them.

Overall this has been one of the best purchases I’ve made in a while. Throw it in the back of my ranger along with a battery powered hedge trimmer and I can pretty much clear any trail that I go down.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Ryobi 18 inch, 40 w i think.

It is a good light duty option and pretty quiet.

It sucks for taking down a large maple. I get about 12-14 inches per battery and feel like a beaver working on that tree. Took the top off nicely, just not made for big stuff. Some saw dust on left side of base.

If you are trying to down a real tree, gas is the way to go.
View attachment 494007
I’ve got some electric Ryobi tools and have been looking at one of these just to have in the truck. I might just stick with my gas saw. Thanks for the information.

Jauwater

WKR
I have the Milwaukee with a 12.0 and I love it.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Anyone have experience with Atlas (Harbor Freight)? Been a while since I looked, but I think the saws got pretty good reviews. I have one of their string trimmers, charger, and battery already, so have been considering the saw and hedge trimmer.

I do have a bunch of Milwaukee M18, so that would be my other consideration, but the HF stuff is significantly cheaper.

Shraggs

WKR
I have the Stihl msa220 16”. It’s the equal to their gas, for 35/40 minutes. I have cleared a ton of trees diced them up, I left anything over 8” to the guys using the big gas to fall. Ap300+ battery and charges very fast

It’s so pricey, but worth it for my occasional heavier use. I felt with small penalty in size and weight might as well cry once with broader capability vs the smaller bars and power you listed.