Battery Replacement for ACR ResQLink PLB?

Loghog

FNG
I have faithfully carried an ACR ResQLink personal locator beacon for the last 5 years and never needed to use it. The manual states that it needs a battery replacement every 5 years to ensure it has enough charge for prime time as needed.

Any of you have one of these and sent them for battery replacement? There look to be many options and I would like the best quality choice, not too worried about price.

Also, if a quality service is 120 bucks, should I just bite the bullet and get a new one (270).

Thanks!

Loghog

jmez

WKR
I sent mine in and had battery replaced last year. Cost about $150. Cheaper than a new one. I don't think it makes any difference where you send it, they are all authorized to do the replacement. Prices do differ so call around.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
L

Loghog

FNG
Thanks guys - I don't think the manufacturer does this service, which I find frustrating, so I will go with your advice. The challenge with this device is that you can't test it, at least not without draining the battery half way where it is almost useless again.

One upside of keeping the device and not replacing it is that it remains registered under your name.

Best,

Loghog

Rokwiia

WKR
I will have to make the same decision....replace the batteries or buy a new unit. If the batteries are replaced for $150, how do we know the unit itself will still perform during this 2nd, 5-year period? Is there any warranty by the company?

I'm not sure which way to go. Any further insights would be appreciated.

Rokwiia

WKR
I think I've decided to get the new ResQLink View. The advantage is you can see battery level without having to test it which, while reassuring, drains the battery. I'll also have a new battery put in the old one as well. I don't mind redundancy especially when it comes to live-saving equipment.