Battle of the 30s

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I’m sheep hunting. If I haven’t fixed the link or answered in a week remind me. Happy new year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for this! A suggestion and a few questions:

1. Can you amend the first post to include a link to the review? I've read the article twice and each time scrolled to post 158 to get to the article. Might make it easier for others in the future.

2. I was very interested in the 300 PRC but am less so after this article. How much do you attribute your challenges to the particular barrel? Since I'm not a reloader, I'd be afraid of having a similar experience. Easy for me to say (), but if you ever get another 300 PRC barrel, could you re-run the test?

3. Anyone know of major manufacturers and semi-custom options on the horizon for the 300 PRC - ideally in CRF? (I expect the CRF is unrealistic given how few there are outside of a custom build.)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you’re on Tapatalk you should see page numbers at the bottom that allow you to jump to any post you want. If you’re on full-site mode you can pock a page number above lead post and jump to that page. You could also just go to our homepage and type in a search on the upper right hand side and find any article. Hope that helps We’ll see if we can get that link in that top one for you
( @Justin Crossley )
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
If you’re on Tapatalk you should see page numbers at the bottom that allow you to jump to any post you want. If you’re on full-site mode you can pock a page number above lead post and jump to that page. You could also just go to our homepage and type in a search on the upper right hand side and find any article. Hope that helps We’ll see if we can get that link in that top one for you
( @Justin Crossley )
Hey Robby - thank you. I was not aware that the review wasn't posted by a moderator. Anyway, each time I read the review I wasn't aware where it was in the thread, so skipping to a particular post or page would not have helped. I've read it twice now, and can find it again if needed.

Ycc33

FNG
Maybe it stems from fond memories of our fathers or grandfathers pulling the ol' 30-06 out of the cabinet with the faint aroma of Hoppe's No. 9 or from reading too many Jack O'Connor stories. Maybe it's another reason altogether. It seems as if most of us have a very strong opinion of what the best cartridge is. Over the next several months I will be testing an old warrior along side two of the newest and hottest 30 caliber cartridges. I will be testing the 300 Winchester Magnum, the 30 Nosler, and the new 300 PRC. The plan is to have three 26" barrels, using H1000, and Berger 215s to see how they compare. I will also be testing a few select factory ammo offerings in each. Will we have a clear winner? I guess we will see. Stay tuned.

qQaF5VLl.jpg

Left: 300 WM with 215 Berger seated with the boat tail junction at the neck shoulder junction
Middle: 300 prc factory 212 ELD-X
Right: 30 Nosler with a 215 Berger seated .030 off the lands of a SAAMI chamber.

Update 1/1/20. Here is the link to the final review: https://www.rokslide.com/battle-of-the-30-cals/
I own a 300 win mag custom from ga Precision but my vote is the new prc. Have done a fair amount myself. It will be interesting to see the results

What about the good ole .300 H & H Magnum?
Easy to reload with 4831 and 180 gr bullets,
Fairly low recoil compared to other .300 magnums.

I and my 2 hunting partners use the .300 H & H in Alaska for everything from Sitka Blacktails to Moose and Grizzlies.

My mentor killed 8 grizzlies and 4 grand slam sheep with the .300 H & H.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
What about the good ole .300 H & H Magnum?
Easy to reload with 4831 and 180 gr bullets,
Fairly low recoil compared to other .300 magnums.

I and my 2 hunting partners use the .300 H & H in Alaska for everything from Sitka Blacktails to Moose and Grizzlies.

My mentor killed 8 grizzlies and 4 grand slam sheep with the .300 H & H.

If I remember right, one of the biggest typical mule deer ever killed around here by (Ike Ellis)was taken with that caliber. Kind of made me like it just because of that.

He was a gun nut, owned the local gun shop for years and he liked that caliber.

Im to out dated,,, but I do enjoy the 30's...

I'm running a fake 30/06 Sherman long throat,,, basically we reamed out the throat to allow the bullet to seat long in the case,,, 3.835,,, the back of the bullet is above the shoulder taper...

We're getting fairly good velocities out of the 180gr 208gr bullets...

Old school cartridge,,, middle age dude,,, but more in line with the smaller 30's

Don

Considering my first .30 caliber rifle and had been debating between WM and PRC. Shooting mostly at the range and looking for more consistent 1000 yrd + performance over my 6.5 creedmore Tikka. I'm no further along in deciding. I don't reload, so whatever is the cheapest and most easily obtainable/performing factory ammo is what I will likely choose ultimately. Also I can get a Tikka in WM but no PRC Tikkas......:unsure:

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Considering my first .30 caliber rifle and had been debating between WM and PRC. Shooting mostly at the range and looking for more consistent 1000 yrd + performance over my 6.5 creedmore Tikka. I'm no further along in deciding. I don't reload, so whatever is the cheapest and most easily obtainable/performing factory ammo is what I will likely choose ultimately. Also I can get a Tikka in WM but no PRC Tikkas......:unsure:
The Tikka in 300 wm will not be even close to the best long range option. It will be limited to a mag of 3.4" and have a 1-11" twist barrel. If you are not reloading the choice is pretty clear to me but there is no guarantee it will shoot accurately. The reason there are no Tikka PRCs is because Tikka is stuck mid last century.

Last edited:

KClark

WKR
Tikkas decision to build the T3 shorter than a true magnum length action is regrettable, however it is very suitable base for a WSM or Sherman Short. If the handlers of TikkaSakoBeretta were to resurrect the M995 in some version it would be ideal for shooters limited to over the counter rifles and ammo as long as they updated the twist rates for current trends in LR hunting and shooting.

The Tikka in 300 wm will not be even close to the best long range option. It will be limited to a mag of 3.4" and have a 1-11" twist barrel. If you are not reloading the choice if pretty clear to me but there is no guarantee it will shoot accurately. The reason there are no Tikka PRCs is because Tikka is stuck mid last century.

In addition to the above, I doubt many folks are going to shoot a 6.5# 300wm as accurately at long range as a 6.5# 6.5 creedmoor regardless of any ballistic superiority.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
In addition to the above, I doubt many folks are going to shoot a 6.5# 300wm as accurately at long range as a 6.5# 6.5 creedmoor regardless of any ballistic superiority.

Agreed. At least not with no brake or a small brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great article! I'm personally a fan of the 300wsm, particularly when used with lighter for caliber bullets, like the 150s and 165s. Obviously not ideal for the long range crowd, but for the general hunting crowd it's going to equal, if not better, the 300wm. Get much heavier and you start eating up too much case capacity in the wsm. I'm not familiar with the other two 30s discussed. I enjoy the 270wsm for similar reasons, though when you get to 140 grains and above, the case capacity issue seems to come into play again and gains over the 270 start shrinking.

Modotman

FNG
I know the 30 Nosler will hold a little more powder but it’s the bases all other 30s compare to it’s a oldie but a goodie I shot a old rem ss factory 24 inch barrel for years till I shot the throat out killed many a whitetail with it I used a old lynn manual from 64 the brass didn’t last long I shot 80 grains of imr 4350 win mag primer and hornady 150 gr boattail spitzer it was max by the old manual and we chronographed it at 3505 FPS out of the 24 inch fac barrel it was a laser