Battle of the 30s

It says a lot when the group they made that round for passed on it. I wouldn't want to carry the extra weight of the extra large action and those rounds, when a 300 PRC will do almost the same thing, or a 30 Nos.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What group did they make the round for? I thought it was just a wildcat that caught on and people created a demand for.

Im pretty sure you can get a .585 boltface on a standard long action.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What group did they make the round for? I thought it was just a wildcat that caught on and people created a demand for.

Im pretty sure you can get a .585 boltface on a standard long action.
The 300 Norma was developed for the sniping community. Their tier 1 groups have essentially glossed over it in favor of other rounds. It wasn't the huge success they were thinking it was going to be.

Danny1788

FNG
Can get a Defiance Deviant Hunter Long Action Lapua Bolt Face weighs pretty much the same as magnum bolt face action. That's what I built the one I made off and used a wyatts mag box & regular BDL bottom metal, it feed great. Its not going to take some crazy heavy custom action to build one.

Defiance Deviant Hunter Long Action Lapua Bolt Face

sneaky

"DADDY"
Can get a Defiance Deviant Hunter Long Action Lapua Bolt Face weighs pretty much the same as magnum bolt face action. That's what I built the one I made off and used a wyatts mag box & regular BDL bottom metal, it feed great. Its not going to take some crazy heavy custom action to build one.

That's great if you want to limit what calibers you rebarrel to with that bolt face. 300 WM, 30 Nos and 300 PRC all use the same bolt face and action length. Not bad on the weight of that Defiance, but that's a custom action, lots of standard non custom actions around to build the other calibers off of.

There are so many great 30s.

I’m rooting for the 30 Nosler, as that is my “do everything” NA rifle. With reloads, you don’t have to be a slave to available ammo.

The 300 Norma was developed for the sniping community. Their tier 1 groups have essentially glossed over it in favor of other rounds. It wasn't the huge success they were thinking it was going to be.

I wasn’t aware of that. Do you have a link a guy could read about it?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

All that work and you could have just built a mag fed 300 RUM:)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Unless he ordered an additional bolt it doesn’t sound like any additional work was required?

Just being a smart ass. Built two 300 Nancy’s... Norma’s, super unimpressed with the it. Like the 300 PRC, lots of hype in the 300 NM too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny1788

FNG
Ryan what didn't you like about it? The rifle wasn't for me it was for a friend I only shot it a few times breaking in the barrel with factory 230gr ammo and it was stacking holes. The recoil was much less then I figured it would be.

All that said I do have a 300WM reamer setup for 215 bergers, That is a go to as its much cheaper to reload for and not much loss in velocity.

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for letting me know about this thread rfurman. Having a 30 Nosler build starting next month. Tagging on

mtmuley

WKR
Just being a smart ass. Built two 300 Nancy’s... Norma’s, super unimpressed with the it. Like the 300 PRC, lots of hype in the 300 NM too.

Love the RUM too Ryan. Almost 20 years into it. The new fads will fade. mtmuley

I’m in the market for a big .30 caliber and will pull the trigger sometime this summer.

It’s going to take some “vodoo magic” results to steer me away from the .300 Win Mag as of right now.

Looking forward to the results.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Love the RUM too Ryan. Almost 20 years into it. The new fads will fade. mtmuley

The fact is I have shot all of the bigger 30 Mags, outside of the 300 PRC. The rum really doesn’t have much more felt recoil. But it has a big advantage in velocity. Yes it has around 1000 shot barrel life. Which is plenty of life for most. It’s absolutely a LR hammer.

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
I just sent a private message asking the same thing I thought it was just me

jeffpg

WKR
This is going to be very interesting, heck it already is!

These are 3 great 30's.

I love the 300 RUM too, and feel it is the only other player worthy of making this test.

lintond

WKR
Maybe it stems from fond memories of our fathers or grandfathers pulling the ol' 30-06 out of the cabinet with the faint aroma of Hoppe's No. 9 or from reading too many Jack O'Connor stories. Maybe it's another reason altogether. It seems as if most of us have a very strong opinion of what the best cartridge is. Over the next several months I will be testing an old warrior along side two of the newest and hottest 30 caliber cartridges. I will be testing the 300 Winchester Magnum, the 30 Nosler, and the new 300 PRC. The plan is to have three 26" barrels, using H1000, and Berger 215s to see how they compare. I will also be testing a few select factory ammo offerings in each. Will we have a clear winner? I guess we will see. Stay tuned.

qQaF5VLl.jpg

Left: 300 WM with 215 Berger seated with the boat tail junction at the neck shoulder junction
Middle: 300 prc factory 212 ELD-X
Right: 30 Nosler with a 215 Berger seated .030 off the lands of a SAAMI chamber.

Any updates or teasers on the comparisons. Looking at a 30 cal soon.