Battle of the 30s

archp625

WKR
Can't wait to see the outcome. I just bought my first 300 WM a year ago and am still trying to figure out hat ammo to shoot out of it. This weekend its going to get some 180 Accubonds through her.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Can't wait to see the outcome. I just bought my first 300 WM a year ago and am still trying to figure out hat ammo to shoot out of it. This weekend its going to get some 180 Accubonds through her.
What did you get?

archp625

WKR
What did you get?
Steyr Prohunter. I have wanted one for a long time and pulled the trigger when i found out they quit making them last year. Now that I have it I'm not in love as much as i wish I was. Its a 10 lb rifle with scope. Now i want to sell and buy a lighter weight 300 WM.

Steyr Prohunter. I have wanted one for a long time and pulled the trigger when i found out they quit making them last year. Now that I have it I'm not in love as much as i wish I was. Its a 10 lb rifle with scope. Now i want to sell and buy a lighter weight 300 WM.

10 pounders sure are nice to shoot though. Especially in the magnums

tdhanses

WKR
I’d like to be able to load 215’s in my 300wsm, but I’m hobbled by the short mag box on my CA Ridgeline @ 2.90” oal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should read up on bergers recommended load testing for seating depth of the vld’s. I’m getting really tight groups out of my 270wsm shooting the 170’s 0.09 off the lands with an avg coal of 2.85. I know everyone likes to be no more then .02 off the lands but that wasn’t where the accuracy was for me.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
How’s the battle coming along?

Slow. Kansas weather is crap. It will not stay warm enough to dry or cold enough to stay frozen so I can not get to my range. I am still waiting on the 300 PRC. When it arrives I will go get some data and groups with factory ammo on my short range.

deadwolf

WKR
You should read up on bergers recommended load testing for seating depth of the vld’s. I’m getting really tight groups out of my 270wsm shooting the 170’s 0.09 off the lands with an avg coal of 2.85. I know everyone likes to be no more then .02 off the lands but that wasn’t where the accuracy was for me.

I hear you, and maybe I’ll dig further, but the problem is that the 200s and bigger, in the CA Ridgeline, have to be seated so deep that you...

1. End up with compressed loads and/or can’t even get the bullet seated if you put in a near max load.

2. The long vlds are nearing or in some cases past the ogive when seated to fit in the mag.

In my opinion, Saami specs for the WSMs were likely created prior to these heavy and long vlds were in the mix, and now in order to take advantage of them in a short mag you will need to either build a custom or get a tikka which are all built on the same action.

The 200 eldx will work in my Ridgeline, as Hornady makes factory ammo for it. But that’s likely to be the biggest and longest I can fit. Having learned my lesson, the rifle I’m having built now is on a medium action : )

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
The 300 Win and 30 Nosler brass gains about 2 grains of H20 capacity after firing. Nosler makes the most voluminous 300 Win brass. Bertram is about a 1 grain more than Nosler 30 Nosler brass and ADG is about 2 grains more.
JnfmS3Qm.jpg

GUUFX2Em.jpg

ZNgrmMqm.jpg

JD5521

FNG
The 300 Win and 30 Nosler brass gains about 2 grains of H20 capacity after firing. Nosler makes the most voluminous 300 Win brass. Bertram is about a 1 grain more than Nosler 30 Nosler brass and ADG is about 2 grains more.
JnfmS3Qm.jpg

GUUFX2Em.jpg

ZNgrmMqm.jpg
Can’t wait for your results! I’m having a 300 prc spun up as we speak.

This is going t help determine what I get for an elk rifle. I told my wife that some serious research was being completed and I would soon need another rifle. She asked what was wrong with the other rifles I have. I told her nothing but this one would be better! She then used some 4 letter words about engineers (I am one), and then asked how much money could she get after I'm gone by selling them...lol. My boys chimed in that no selling mom those are our rifles!!!!!!!!!!

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I have weighed a lot of brass. I have had companies tell me weighing the cases was not an accurate method of determining capacity variances. In every case I have found this to be false until I weighed the Bertram 300 PRC brass. It had an 8 grain es on the 50 I weighed yet only a little over 1 grain variance in H20 capacity. On the other hand the Hornady followed suit with my past tests. The H20 was roughly the same in variance as the cases. All but 5 of the Hornady cases in my box were within 1 grain H20. The other five were about 3 grains less H20.
VudmOQXm.jpg
PCs4tUum.jpg

QcXXqvQm.jpg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
When I tested the Bertram 28 Nosler brass. Weighing all 100 pieces it had 5 grains of variance. The H2O volume was 1.5 grains of variance. The average ES with hundreds of rounds shot over a LabRadar was 9.

DISCLAIMER. I sell Bertram brass.