Battle of the 7's - 7mm-08 vs. .284 Win vs. 7x57

Rob5589

WKR
I think an OEM needs to step up and put out a modern rifle for the 284 Win. Perhaps Ruger would take a chance and chamber the Ruger American for the 284 Win. A $470 short action with some punch, another choice over the 7mm-08. I looked and Lapua brass is available for the 284 Win and its cheaper than the 7 SAUM. Don't know if Winchester or Browning would do it because of the WSM's and new 6.8 Western.
The 284 rocks but, you really need to hand load and have a proper chamber cut to make it worth while. And if one doesn't hand load, factory offerings are slim and aren't loaded to it's potential.

OP
Newtosavage
I think an OEM needs to step up and put out a modern rifle for the 284 Win. Perhaps Ruger would take a chance and chamber the Ruger American for the 284 Win. A $470 short action with some punch, another choice over the 7mm-08. I looked and Lapua brass is available for the 284 Win and its cheaper than the 7 SAUM. Don't know if Winchester or Browning would do it because of the WSM's and new 6.8 Western.
Yea but here's the thing... if you're gonna put it in a short action, you need a magazine that's 3.00"

Short actions like the Remington that limit you to 2.80" steal too much from the .284 Win. They force you to seat the bullets well into the powder space.

But something like the Savage short action works very well with it's full 3.00" box.

I'm seating my 160 Speers right at 3.00" and my Barnes 139 and 145 LRX's were seated at 3.10" I think 120 TTSX's would be around 3.00" as well, but I haven't worked up a load for those yet. I'm very happy with how those 160 bonded Speers are shooting, and I have hundreds of them, so that will be my load for this rifle for the time being.

OP
Newtosavage
I missed the details on your 284 build. Did you have it throated long? I just picked up my 30-284 rebarrel from the smith and loaded some last night. I told him I wanted to shoot 200gr bullets out of it and it essentially has zero throat. A 200gr would eat up so much case capacity with this throat. Kinda defeats the purpose of deciding to do a 30-284 on Tikka action
I had them use the .284 Win "GAP" reamer, which is designed for folks who want to build a .284 Win on a long action and seat the really long Berger 168's and heavier bullets.

I'm not going to shoot bullets that heavy. My 160 Speers or a 160 Accubond or Partition is the heaviest bullet I plan to shoot. Because of the shape of that bullet, they touched the lands at 3.070" (if I'm remembering this right) and I settled on 3.00" for now. They shoot fine. I might play with them further out but I'm not unhappy with what I see right now.

In your situation I'd send it back and ask them to ream a longer throat. No sense eating up that case capacity.

OP
Newtosavage
I'm rechambering my semi custom HCA 7/08 to 284 this week. No real reason other than my pard is building one and it'll be fun to tinker with two rifles at the same time. Looking forward to seeing what itll do with 154 hammers and 162 eldms. Glad to here the recoil is mild. I can post up my results between 7/08 and 284 once I do some development.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'd like to see those results and I'm sure others would too.

I was really strongly considering having my Tikka 7mm-08 reamed to .284 Win a few years ago. But it shot so darn well as a 7mm-08, and honestly I was never in love with that rifle AND my buddy wanted it pretty bad so I just sold it to him. I like tinkering with Savages and these new LW Storms have great stocks and very light actions. They are super easy to build on too.

So far (and I've owned two now) these new Savage stocks just really seem to soak up the recoil. So I'm not sure if its the .284 or the stock or both. But I'm certainly not complaining.

OP
Newtosavage
The 284 rocks but, you really need to hand load and have a proper chamber cut to make it worth while. And if one doesn't hand load, factory offerings are slim and aren't loaded to it's potential.
Very true. It's a hand-loader's cartridge for now. But boy it's a good one if you're a serious western hunter looking for a lightweight build.

Levi95

FNG
So glad I found this thread just started considering getting a 284 win just last week from NULA and this has definitely made my mind up

Petersen

FNG
Love the 7-300win, 7mm08ackley, and I recent 280. The 280 isn't really performance based. Just something for a kid to hunt with and will
Be capable of taking elk down.

Jon Boy

WKR
Haven't had much time at all to do load development and comparison for my newly rechambered 284. My buddy did me a favor and found a sub Moa load with the 150 eldx, h4350, and lapua brass at 3170 fps. Pretty pleased with it so far. Antelope this weekend to test it out.

KU_Geo

WKR
Haven't had much time at all to do load development and comparison for my newly rechambered 284. My buddy did me a favor and found a sub Moa load with the 150 eldx, h4350, and lapua brass at 3170 fps. Pretty pleased with it so far. Antelope this weekend to test it out.

What’s are the specs on the rifle? That seems faster than I would expect in a 284win

Jon Boy

WKR
What’s are the specs on the rifle? That seems faster than I would expect in a 284win
Sorry just seeing this. It's a Tikka with a HCA summit cut at 23.5. The rechamber was done by a hobby smith that I trust very much and he said he used a match reamer he had on hand and it has quite the throat on it. Seating those 162s to nearly factory mag box length.

Update- running a 162 eldm at 3006 fps with h4350. My buddy is getting 2900 with his and a standard chamber. I belive his barrel is 22in.

49ereric

WKR
So many 7mm’s today that it seems odd to me cuz the 7x57 been doing it around the world for damn near ever.
always funny what catches on and what gets bypassed.