Battle of the 7's - 7mm-08 vs. .284 Win vs. 7x57

You need a long action magnum 7mm like a STW, RUM or 7-300 Winchester I suppose the vanilla 7mm Rem Mag is worthy of consideration. In fact it is arguably my favorite 7mm cartridge and I have a soft sot for most of them.

I have a 7mm-08, 7x57, 280, and 7mm Rem Mag. I figure if I can get a 7mm WBY, 7mm STW, and a 7mm RUM, I could then project 150gr 7mm bullets in 50 fps increments from 2750 to 3350

Oldffemt

WKR
I have an old 110E action in the safe that my father in law gave me years ago. You all may have just helped me decide what to chamber it in. What speeds are you hoping to get out of a 160 accubond with the longer throat?

OP
Newtosavage
I finally have some data for an update...

Essentially, the 7x57 is duplicating the 7mm-08. 3k with 120's, 2850 with 139/140's, and 2650 with 160's out of a 21" tube. That's stopping before pressure signs show up. I could probably safely eek another 50 fps out of each load, but I don't see the point.

Now, the .284 Win, seating out to 3.10" with the 139 Barnes LRX is giving me 3000 fps. and with the 160 Speers, 2850 fps. over Ramshot Hunter powder.

So, essentially, the .284 Win is like stepping up one bullet size at the same velocity over the 7x57 and 7mm-08. That's what I was hoping for, and that's what I'm getting. In addition, the felt recoil of the .284 Win on my Savage LW Storm action and stock is very mild. I can barely tell the difference between it and the 7x57. Even though it's matching the performance of the Ruger .280 Remington I used to own, it kicks a whole lot less.

2850 fps. with a 160 grain bullet is very close to what my best '06 load was doing with 165's, but I can tell you this gun is much more pleasant to shoot.

OP
Newtosavage
I have an old 110E action in the safe that my father in law gave me years ago. You all may have just helped me decide what to chamber it in. What speeds are you hoping to get out of a 160 accubond with the longer throat?
2800 easily. I'm getting that out of a 21" barrel with 55 grains of Hunter.

I built my 7x57 on a vintage Savage 110 (the original configuration) and it's smooth as silk and looks fantastic. If you have a spare 110 long action laying around, I wouldn't hesitate to throw a long-throated .284 Win barrel on it.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting data. Looks like your having alot of fun with your 7mm ocd...lol. I have an older M77 tang safety in 7x57, 22" bbl. It has an extremely long throat, built for the traditional 175's of the day. So, I load 140 accubonds out to 3.1 and 52 gr. of R19 behind them, no pressure but it shoots good there. Its a little above that 2900 fps level, according to the book, but I've never put in over a chrono. Always been a fan of the 7x57, the 7mm-08 had been a standardized cartridge for less then a decade when I got mine. I've always found it ironic that reloading manuals always have to show a 24" or 26" barrel with the 7mm-08 so its performance eeks by the 7x57 with a 22". If all the barrels are equal length in the 3 calibers the .284 should really be far and above since it has almost a 12 gr. more capacity than a 7mm-08 and 9 gr. more than the 7x57 loaded at standard length, but it appeared to be a much less efficient cartridge more often than not. It would appear that loading the .284 Win to 3.1 or 3.2 in a long action you'd be able to stuff it with powder in the high 50 range. That should get you closer to a good 280 Remington load. I find your .284 Win data with a 160 accubond interesting because your matching Nosler book data with a barrel 3" shorter (21 vs 24) with the same powder quantity and matching velocities, that's a fast barrel you have.

OP
Newtosavage
Interesting data. Looks like your having alot of fun with your 7mm ocd...lol. I have an older M77 tang safety in 7x57, 22" bbl. It has an extremely long throat, built for the traditional 175's of the day. So, I load 140 accubonds out to 3.1 and 52 gr. of R19 behind them, no pressure but it shoots good there. Its a little above that 2900 fps level, according to the book, but I've never put in over a chrono. Always been a fan of the 7x57, the 7mm-08 had been a standardized cartridge for less then a decade when I got mine. I've always found it ironic that reloading manuals always have to show a 24" or 26" barrel with the 7mm-08 so its performance eeks by the 7x57 with a 22". If all the barrels are equal length in the 3 calibers the .284 should really be far and above since it has almost a 12 gr. more capacity than a 7mm-08 and 9 gr. more than the 7x57 loaded at standard length, but it appeared to be a much less efficient cartridge more often than not. It would appear that loading the .284 Win to 3.1 or 3.2 in a long action you'd be able to stuff it with powder in the high 50 range. That should get you closer to a good 280 Remington load. I find your .284 Win data with a 160 accubond interesting because your matching Nosler book data with a barrel 3" shorter (21 vs 24) with the same powder quantity and matching velocities, that's a fast barrel you have.
I suppose that is a fast barrel now that you mention it. I hadn't thought of that. And it's new, so it should - in theory - get a little faster too.

I was planning to try H4831 in the .284 Win until I saw that the Hunter is doing just fine. Good velocity and good accuracy, and I have 4 lbs. of it to go with my 400 Speer 160's. Life is good. :D

OP
Newtosavage
My first 7x57 was a Ruger Hawkeye stainless RSI with the full length stock. It only had a 16.5" barrel though. But man it was a looker. Those blued red pad 77's in 7x57 are sweet looking too.

My old original Savage 110 has a dark walnut stock and smooth action. It reminds me of those older blued 77's actually.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
My first 7x57 was a Ruger Hawkeye stainless RSI with the full length stock. It only had a 16.5" barrel though. But man it was a looker. Those blued red pad 77's in 7x57 are sweet looking too.
Yes. Best part about my old M77 in 7x57 is I can carry 6 total rounds, 5 in the magazine + 1 in chamber when needed. Killed alot of elk with that rifle with a straight 6x scope, just kept within reasonable distances, core-loks & partitions. Kids are now shooting accubonds out of it.

OP
Newtosavage
Yes. Best part about my old M77 in 7x57 is I can carry 6 total rounds, 5 in the magazine + 1 in chamber when needed. Killed alot of elk with that rifle with a straight 6x scope, just kept within reasonable distances, core-loks & partitions. Kids are now shooting accubonds out of it.
funny, I'm going straight 6x on my vintage Savage too. Guess we think alike. It will hold 5 (4+1) and I'm shooting 160 grain bonded Speers from it. Some things just don't need fixing. ;)

when I had that Ruger RSI, the only thing that shot decent from it were 140 grain factory core-lokts. I never could duplicate that load with my handloads and I tried for quite a while.

Manakh

FNG
Call me boring but I am a 7mm rem mag fan. In my opinion, just great all around cartridge. Deer, bear, elk I usually reach for the 7 mag.

Manakh

FNG
Nothing wrong with that. I just don't like burning that much powder when I don't need to is all.

Nothing wrong with that either!!!

I've toyed with the idea of a 6.5 creedmoor for deer but then I just ask myself why? Lol I have a good stash of 7mag factory and handloads, ammo is hard to acquire, and honestly I just love my 7mag gun. Just beyond dreamy to shoot. Not dreamy to carry as it's a hmr and is like 12lbs but gold dang the gun is capable beyond what I am and just puts bullets inside bullet holes...

OP
Newtosavage
ha, ha. Well, it's good confirmation that I'm not crazy. :D

Ron laid it all out very well. I've read his writing on the .284 Win in other places. He wasn't wrong then, and he's not wrong now. I'm sure that knowing Lapua is now making brass for the .284 Win is a sort of vindication for his choices in the late 80's.

I've only run about 50 rounds through my .284 so far, but what I really appreciate about it is the moderate recoil in light rifles, considering the performance it produces.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
I think an OEM needs to step up and put out a modern rifle for the 284 Win. Perhaps Ruger would take a chance and chamber the Ruger American for the 284 Win. A $470 short action with some punch, another choice over the 7mm-08. I looked and Lapua brass is available for the 284 Win and its cheaper than the 7 SAUM. Don't know if Winchester or Browning would do it because of the WSM's and new 6.8 Western.

Last edited:
9 twist. 6 groove.
I missed the details on your 284 build. Did you have it throated long? I just picked up my 30-284 rebarrel from the smith and loaded some last night. I told him I wanted to shoot 200gr bullets out of it and it essentially has zero throat. A 200gr would eat up so much case capacity with this throat. Kinda defeats the purpose of deciding to do a 30-284 on Tikka action

Jon Boy

WKR
I'm rechambering my semi custom HCA 7/08 to 284 this week. No real reason other than my pard is building one and it'll be fun to tinker with two rifles at the same time. Looking forward to seeing what itll do with 154 hammers and 162 eldms. Glad to here the recoil is mild. I can post up my results between 7/08 and 284 once I do some development.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk