Battle of the Single Stage Press

Mosby

WKR
I have a number of presses. The Forster Co-Ax is my favorite. It is what I recommend to people. I believe my ammo is more accurate and consistent since I started using the press. I gave my nephew my Rockchucker because I hadn't used it since I got the Forster. If I couldn't have or get a Forster today, I would probably buy a Redding but Hornady, RCBS, Lee all produce quality ammo.

rayporter

WKR
as I said 'few reloaders will have a use for the hood'

there are other custom presses out there but they aim at a very limited market.

rayporter

WKR
I hope this is not a double post. I just had a power hit.

as I said "few reloaders will have a use for a hood"

my lyman c press is 54 years old and goin strong. a lyman would be a good starter.

rcbs makes an O press that is small called the partner I think - they make good starters. I had one once and it worked great.

the lee works and makes good ammo but I would not give a high recommendation -mine get used often but for odd jobs [ like pulling bullets or using the small base sizer]

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I hope this is not a double post. I just had a power hit.

as I said "few reloaders will have a use for a hood"

my lyman c press is 54 years old and goin strong. a lyman would be a good starter.

rcbs makes an O press that is small called the partner I think - they make good starters. I had one once and it worked great.

the lee works and makes good ammo but I would not give a high recommendation -mine get used often but for odd jobs [ like pulling bullets or using the small base sizer]
Have you been able to check out Lyman's newest line Brass Smith?

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Used an RCBS rockchucker up to this point and liked it well enough, but if I had it to do over again I think I'd go for the Co-ax

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Hornady. And you get a bunch of free lead for buying a press, dies, etc.

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
After a lot of research I went with the RCBS Summit. Now time to play with reloads.

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
RCBS Partner Press, and it works great! Biggest I have loaded for is 7mm Remington, and will admit the sizing step is pretty stiff! Certainly would be nice to have the added leverage of a larger press, but it works just fine. I have probably had it for close to 30 years, and never a problem.

RCBS Rockchucker has not left me wanting anything at all and according to the data it was on par or better than all the other presses.

I haven't used anything else so no first hand experience. I think they can all work well when used correctly.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
After a lot of research I went with the RCBS Summit. Now time to play with reloads.

That was a press I knew next to nothing about, but it came out very well in that test and I'm intrigued. Seems to be a great value as well, especially compared to the co-ax.

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
That was a press I knew next to nothing about, but it came out very well in that test and I'm intrigued. Seems to be a great value as well, especially compared to the co-ax.
I honestly just liked the huge 2" Ram and that the entire front of the press is open. After watching the tests as well I am feeling pretty confident in this press. Cant go wrong with RCBS anyways.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
I used a RCBS press handed down from my grandpa for years after I first got into reloading about 10 years ago. Once I got more serious into shooting and added a dedicated 'trainer' rifle to use alongside my 'match' gun (and my main hunting guns), switching out sizing and seating dies for different rifles all the time became more hassle than I wanted. I bought a Redding T7 and have been very happy with it for the past 4 or 5 years now. So nice not having to monkey with setting up dies each time I want to switch from sizing brass to seating bullets or from one rifle to the next.

TP151

FNG
I use a rcbs rockchucker for my bigger calibers and the rcbs partner presses for the smaller calibers. I also have a couple of the pma gizmos and like them a lot. Never had a problem with any of my presses.

rayporter

WKR
this is one dandy tool to have. it serves the purpose of the jlc insert for adjusting bump.

I prefer to have my dies threaded into the press. I use a lock ring made by PMA that allows me to adjust shoulder bump with a micrometer and do not want to give that up. It’s too valuable when forming wildcats. In my mind it would be a pain with the coax.

FURMAN

WKR
I think the Forster CoAx is the single best single stage press for many reasons. Die change outs are the fastest of any press. The mechanics of the press put very little stress on your bench. The mechanical advantage makes it easier when sizing hard to size cases. My second choice would be the Rock Chucker.