Battle of the Single Stage Press

dla

WKR
I am wondering "why a single stage?".

Personally, I Craigslisted my RockChucker years ago and went with the Lee Classic Turret - but that's just me. I reload 270Win, 30-30, 30-06, 308W and 45-70 on the LCT. I use a Dillon SDB for 9mm, 45acp & 44mag.

I started out with a Hornady LNL press, and recently switched to the Mec Marksman. The price was half of the Coax, and many YouTube reviews had it producing even better runout numbers than the Coax. I put the Hornady bushing kit in it, so die changes are very fast and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Lee Classic as well and have been using it for rifle and revolver handloads for several years now. It has always seemed like the high-end of equipment in my opinion but I have not handloaded on anything else.

I have been very impressed with the accurate ammo it creates in my 25 year old 30-06 which started out as $300 rifle. I load it with Barnes 130 gr bullets (for reduced recoil) and it places very tight groups at 100 and 200 yards with a budget scope.

Looking at the negative complaints right now on it with Midway, users do not like the priming feed function of it. I prefer to prime with a RCBS hand tool anyways for complete control of that process. I really like how you can feel each primer properly seat into the primer pocket, but I digress.

Midway has the Lee Classic right now for $116.99 and free shipping.

I hope this is not a double post. I just had a power hit.

as I said "few reloaders will have a use for a hood"

my lyman c press is 54 years old and goin strong. a lyman would be a good starter.

rcbs makes an O press that is small called the partner I think - they make good starters. I had one once and it worked great.

the lee works and makes good ammo but I would not give a high recommendation -mine get used often but for odd jobs [ like pulling bullets or using the small base sizer]
Rayporter - how are you pulling bullets? I have purchased the Lyman Magnum Impact Bullet Puller (hammer) but could not get it to work on any of the bullets I wanted to pull. Not sure why that thing gets 4.5 stars in reviews actually. I guess I may just need to spend more time with it and may have given up too quickly on it.

Axlrod

WKR
Rayporter - how are you pulling bullets? I have purchased the Lyman Magnum Impact Bullet Puller (hammer) but could not get it to work on any of the bullets I wanted to pull. Not sure why that thing gets 4.5 stars in reviews actually. I guess I may just need to spend more time with it and may have given up too quickly on it.
There is kind of a trick to using them. Need to let it be loose between your thumb and index finger so it can bounce. If you grip it tight like a hammer it doesn't work.

rayporter

WKR
for match loads I use this gizzy it is a copy of the one Charlie hood made.
for tight stuff I use hornady collet type that I keep installed in one side of a hood press. one press has sizing and seating dies and the other has a bullet puller and a small base die always ready to go.
the pulled bullets are used for fireforming cause they may be damaged. the hammer type probably does less damage but is slower. when I had one press the hammer got used a lot. the hornady lock and load system allows you to switch out dies and bullet pullers real fast.
z5RvCUd.jpg

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
Having only one reloading press is like having only one gun. Not going to happen at my house. At this moment, I have three presses mounted on my loading bench. A Hornady Pro-Jector progressive used primarily for pistol projects. A Forster Co-Ax for rifle loads, and a Lyman Crusher for grunt work. I have additional presses hanging overhead than can be swapped out via a threaded aluminum plate inletted into my loading bench.

Concentricity- Higher end Redding or Co-Ax
Strength and concentricity- RCBS RC
Value- Hornady

There was an online blog that looked at several measurements to determine the best in several catergories. I'm sure its floating around somewhere on the interwebz.

Tacos

FNG
Forester Co-Ax. Easy setup, quick and east die changes. Floating dies are a really nice function as well.