Battle of the Single Stage Press

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
Whats up Rokslide.
I have been looking into getting a single stage press for a while now and after looking and doing some research I'm at a stand still. In your opinion what single stage press is the best and why?

tdhanses

WKR
I can’t say what is the best, haven’t used them all but the best I have owned is the MEC Marksman. Super stable and built like a tank, produces very straight loads. There are some good videos of it on you tube. Have only had mine 3 months or a tad longer but I don’t see ever replacing it.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Forster Co-Ax Press is amazing. As mentioned above everyone will have opinions on different presses. The Co-Ax is great because of how the case head is held and centers with ease. Many other small features that shooters will enjoy but this is my favorite!!

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
The Co-ax is in deed nice. The reasons I don’t like it are personal.

I use a Redding Big-boss 2 and have no complaints. It has loaded thousands of match quality rounds. I use it for decapping and sizing. For bullet seating I use a KM arbor press for seating

tdhanses

WKR
The Co-ax is in deed nice. The reasons I don’t like it are personal.

I use a Redding Big-boss 2 and have no complaints. It has loaded thousands of match quality rounds. I use it for decapping and sizing. For bullet seating I use a KM arbor press for seating

I do the exact same in my reloading.

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you who have used a co-ax and prefer another press why is that?

have several including an rcbs summit, they all work. So does my dillon 550 with a single stage shell holder installed and a one hole die holder installed. It has one of the strongest ram/frames going. When done loading single stage can go right back to pistol reloading as a progressive.

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to have my dies threaded into the press. I use a lock ring made by PMA that allows me to adjust shoulder bump with a micrometer and do not want to give that up. It’s too valuable when forming wildcats. In my mind it would be a pain with the coax.

What about the Forster intrigues you? They are twice the cost of a standard O press. That kind of extra dough buys a lot of stuff that may benifit you more in the long run.

For those of you who have used a co-ax and prefer another press why is that?

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
Do not take my opinion offensive. I’m all for you buying the coax if that’s what you desire. Reloading equipment is definitely a buy once cry once hobby

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Redding Big Boss II here as well. It will handle most anything you can throw at it. It's easy to think you won't ever be shooting large size cases. Next thing you know, you are building a 300 Norma Mag or something.

It was the 1st press I ever bought. I now have two of them.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
Any of the single stage presses can produce good results. I use a rcbs rockchucker. I am a fan of the Hornady lock and load die system. I changed out the bushing in my press to use them. Once I find a load for a gun I never have to readjust a die. Consistent results.

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to have my dies threaded into the press. I use a lock ring made by PMA that allows me to adjust shoulder bump with a micrometer and do not want to give that up. It’s too valuable when forming wildcats. In my mind it would be a pain with the coax.

What about the Forster intrigues you? They are twice the cost of a standard O press. That kind of extra dough buys a lot of stuff that may benifit you more in the long run.
Honestly it doesn't I just see a lot of guys run it and swear it's the best and it made me wonder if the extra money is worth it. I think the same way as you, the extra money can go towards more important things.

rayporter

WKR
the pma lock ring that adjusts dies is a sweet gizzie to have.

I have a carstensen clicker on my hood press and love it too, I loaded hundreds of rounds with this set up last week at a match. few reloaders will have a use for the hood - but if you do it is sweet.

the lock and load system has its merits. I change out between a small base die and a bullet puller often on a lee press that I keep set on my portable loading table right beside the hood.

I have 2 lyman c presses that do get the heavy stuff.

https://bulletcentral.com/product/hood-double-ram-press-with-jlc-insert/

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
the pma lock ring that adjusts dies is a sweet gizzie to have.

I have a carstensen clicker on my hood press and love it too, I loaded hundreds of rounds with this set up last week at a match. few reloaders will have a use for the hood - but if you do it is sweet.

the lock and load system has its merits. I change out between a small base die and a bullet puller often on a lee press that I keep set on my portable loading table right beside the hood.

I have 2 lyman c presses that do get the heavy stuff.

https://bulletcentral.com/product/hood-double-ram-press-with-jlc-insert/
That's a pricey press and starting out I don't think i would need something like that. When i get more comfortable in my reloading abilities I might look into this.