Battle of the small binos-Zeiss conquest hd 8x32 vs victory pocket 8x25 vs maven b3 8x30

TomM

FNG
Nice review. I also like the conquest compared to others in full size 42’s. I have been thinking about getting some 30’s for eastern hunting, and will probably be checking out the conquests. The 30/32 size just seems about right for Appalachian hardwoods, or even archery hunting in an area with antler restrictions. For western spot and stock, I believe it would be hard to give up 42’s for their stability. We’ll see I guess.

OP
willfrye027
I had the mavens out in the turkey woods today and I’m very pleased with them. 8s are so much easier to hand hold. I don’t feel like I’m missing anything with the 30mm objective.

OP
willfrye027
Nice review. I also like the conquest compared to others in full size 42’s. I have been thinking about getting some 30’s for eastern hunting, and will probably be checking out the conquests. The 30/32 size just seems about right for Appalachian hardwoods, or even archery hunting in an area with antler restrictions. For western spot and stock, I believe it would be hard to give up 42’s for their stability. We’ll see I guess.

I would definitely check out the mavens alongside the conquests. But I don’t think you could go wrong with either one.

WestNE

WKR
Sorry to hijack but this might help... Has anyone compared the Euro HD 8x32's to the Maven B3? Mainly looking for comparison on handling of glare, apparent FOV, eyecup design, and focus speed. I am sure that apparent sharpness is good enough on both that I couldn't tell the difference.

Thanks,
Nick

OP
willfrye027
Sorry to hijack but this might help... Has anyone compared the Euro HD 8x32's to the Maven B3? Mainly looking for comparison on handling of glare, apparent FOV, eyecup design, and focus speed. I am sure that apparent sharpness is good enough on both that I couldn't tell the difference.

Thanks,
Nick

Some of the birdforum guys had talked about them. My impression after reading them was that the mavens were quite a bit better. Keep in mind the mavens under report the FOV specs for some odd reason.

NJMS

FNG
I've just read this. Thanks for the comparison. Very helpful as I'm looking at the B3's as a small upgrade to my Monarch 7 8x30's which suffer from glare issues at low light angles.

Really like my old 2005 Leica Ultravid 8x32 non-HD I bought new. Great tight country binos for archery hunting. I also like them for casual day hiking. And as the original poster says, the 8x30 or 32 is easier to get behind than the mini. Nice there are quite a few choices these days.

brsnow

WKR
I recommend looking through the 8x30 companion CL. I am beyond impressed and they have quickly became my go to binos.

Reactions: ZDR

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks for the comprehensive report! I'm also in the market for a 8x30-ish bino for dark timber elk hunting

Santa was good to me! :)

1hJyzV1.jpg

OP
willfrye027

fwafwow

WKR
If I was to make one frivolous purchase it would be those 8x25s. They were sweet for how tiny they are.
You guys are killing me! In the span of just an hour or two, I went from "keep carrying the Victory 10x42s but just hang them on a peg" to "those pocket binos would be sweet" to "just use the RF and leave the binos at home" and now back to considering those 8x25s - or a monocular! (I'm not complaining really - I love the review and research process.)