BBQ Wild Turkey

gulicemo

Banned
Room mate shot a nice Tom this weekend. Shot a little low, but close enough for ranch work.

Plucked

Butchered in Halves

Brine. 2 cups salt to every 1 cup brown sugar dissolved in 1 Gallon water. I tripled this for the whole bird. Brine for at least 24 hours. I did this in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.

BBQ/ smoke. About 1.5 hours.

Tender Vittles.

unm1136

WKR
Beautiful. Going out next weekend with two tags to a watering hole where I have patterned three different flocks.

pat

• Banned
OP
gulicemo

gulicemo

Banned
Couldn't tell you... I was searching for my thermometer for about an hour and a half, couldn't find it. I started it out hot, probably 425+ and put the bird right over the coals/wood. Once it had good sear marks, I moved the bird to the opposite side of the grill and shut down the vents to build smoke. I kept rotating the bird to try and get it evenly cooked. As the fire got cooler, the smoke would lessen so I would briefly open the BBQ to catch the wood on fire, then shut her down again.

Used the force. When I felt it was done, pulled it off and wrapped it foil, let it rest for 10 minutes and then carved it up. Turned out killer.

• Banned
OP
gulicemo

gulicemo

Banned
Almond wood by the way. We have an abundance of Almond in Northern CA, and it produces a great smokey flavor. Fairly mild and not too sweet in my opinion.