BC Early September Goat Hunt Gear List Questions

I was planning on going on my first goat hunt in 2020, however, I just lucked into a BC goat hunt and am leaving in just over a month. I have a fairly decent gear inventory, and will lay out below what I'm thinking about bringing. I'm seeking guidance from the guys who have been there and done that on a few items as well.

Tops:
-Light weight merino QZ base layer
-Lt. wt. mountain hardware fleece QZ midlayer
-Kuiu Kutana Hybrid jacket outerlayer
-Kuiu Ultra down hooded jacket
-Kuiu Kutana storm shell

Bottoms *questions below*
-lt. wt. base layer
-really torn here. I love my sitka timberlines but also love my prana brions. Worried about the durability of both, and whether or not the timberlines are too heavy. Which of the two would you bring? Would you recommend something else?
-KUIU kutana or chugach rain pants
-gaiters
-crocs for creek crossings/camp shoes
-wright socks (my personal favorites)
-Kenetrek's

Misc. Gear *questions below*
-stone glacier pack
-sleeping bag. I currently don't own a good cool weather sleeping bag and am torn between a 0* or 20*. Any and all recommendations (brand, type, degree, etc.) would be appreciated.
-walking sticks
-tikka t3x 30-06 w/ scope
-gohunt rifle cover
-beanie
-gloves
-extra socks/boxers
-maven b.2s in marsupial gear pouch
-vortex rangefinder

Anything i'm missing?

I was planning on going on my first goat hunt in 2020, however, I just lucked into a BC goat hunt and am leaving in just over a month. I have a fairly decent gear inventory, and will lay out below what I'm thinking about bringing. I'm seeking guidance from the guys who have been there and done that on a few items as well.

Tops:
-Kuiu Kutana storm shell

-lt. wt. base layer
-really torn here. I love my sitka timberlines but also love my prana brions. Worried about the durability of both, and whether or not the timberlines are too heavy. Which of the two would you bring? Would you recommend something else?
-gaiters
-Kenetrek's

-stone glacier pack
-sleeping bag. I currently don't own a good cool weather sleeping bag and am torn between a 0* or 20*. Any and all recommendations (brand, type, degree, etc.) would be appreciated.
-walking sticks
-gohunt rifle cover
-beanie
-gloves
-extra socks/boxers
-vortex rangefinder

Anything i'm missing?

I’ll preface this by saying that I’ve never been on a BC goat hunt, but I live to hunt goats. That said, ditch the MH fleece, Kutana hybrid jacket, and Kutana storm shell. Go with the other stuff you have listed and either a full set of Chugach or Yukon rain gear. I’d also bring some light weight merino pants and puffy pants. Use your rain pants as your daily pants, coupled with the merino pants if needed. For a bag, I’d take a 20-30° treated down, quilt (leaning towards the 30), and supplement the puffy jacket and pants along with the beanie, for add warmth when sleeping. That and a good pad (Xtherm), will be plenty. Also ditch the rifle cover. Only two extra pair of socks and only 1-2 extra pair of underwear. Ask your guide if he’s bringing a rangefinder and if so, leave yours at home. Also, make sure he’s bringing a spotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

Kootenay Hunter

Where in BC? It's big and covers a lot of latitudes/climate zones

I'd go timberlines with the foam knee pads

as.ks.ak

WKR

Tops:
-Kuiu Kutana storm shell

-lt. wt. base layer
-gaiters
-Kenetrek's

-stone glacier pack
-walking sticks
-gohunt rifle cover
-beanie
-gloves
-extra socks/boxers
-vortex rangefinder

Anything i'm missing?

I pretty much echo what Troutbum said. He’s been on more goat hunt than me, and he knows what he’s talking about. FOR SURE, proofs in the puddin’.

I’d add that you should hop on enlightened equipments website and see if you can snag a quilt off the shelf they already have made. It’ll help you drop a bunch of oz.

There are a few killer threads on this forums discussing quilts and why people like/dislike them. Surf through that, it’ll help you make up your mind. I personally have a down and synthetic quilts, for different scenarios.

Good luck on the hunt, share pics when you get back! Safe travels and happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

Kootenay Hunter

35 days until my first goat hunt and it’s in southern BC. Definitely following..

Where is your hunt? North and south can have drastically different conditions, especially in September. It can be in the 80's in September in southern BC, definitely wouldn't want to be packing 3 different jackets and base layers when all you'll be wearing is light pants and a t shirt!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kootenay Hunter

Good point. I'll be in Northern BC.

Cool. Your kit sounds pretty good then, iffy on the down jacket, but might be nice to have when not hunting.

If you want an idea of the weather you might experience (other than your guide's info) here is a weather site with historic weather, this is for Terrace, but you can change to the nearest weather station. Obviously alpine will be cooler.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...r=1840&EndYear=2019&Day=23&Year=2018&Month=9#

Dzel777

FNG
Kootenay hunter- we are headed out of Williams lake area... I think that’s considered southern bc still. Looks like highs in low 70s, so definitely no heavy jackets! Can’t wait though!

K

Kootenay Hunter

Yeah, not really north or south in our books, definitely not considered the north...more central BC or Caribou-Chilcotin.

OP
carsonkeys
Cool. Your kit sounds pretty good then, iffy on the down jacket, but might be nice to have when not hunting.

If you want an idea of the weather you might experience (other than your guide's info) here is a weather site with historic weather, this is for Terrace, but you can change to the nearest weather station. Obviously alpine will be cooler.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...r=1840&EndYear=2019&Day=23&Year=2018&Month=9#
Thanks sir. Iffy as in questionable if I should bring it?

K

Kootenay Hunter

Thanks sir. Iffy as in questionable if I should bring it?

Yeah, if you're going north, probably better to bring it along and figure it out when you're there.

Personally, I like a additive layering system without 'either-or' pieces in it, Eg. Everything layer on top of each other start with every thing on for coldest situation and take off layers as needed, if a down jacket fits into that, then great.

Of course if you have the, luxury of weight and space and can decide each day what to pack (guide base camp), why not take everything you can.

I’d add a pair of KUIU zip-off long johns. Creek crossings can be done with your Chugach rain gear taped firmly or laces wrapped around your boots. Snow seal (whatever treatment you prefer) the heck out of your boots. Decent durable gloves as you will frequently touch the rocks with your hands on a goat hunt....KUIU guide gloves are good.

I like a 15* F treated down bag from now through mid-Oct. I just add layers as required of my usual hunting clothes. I love the KUIU zip off puffy pants around camp, in the bag if it is super cold etc. also glassing. Take a 3 or 4 section piece of a Thermarest Z-lite pad for a glassing pad and to kneel on around camp. Good luck!

OFFHNTN

WKR
Yessir, I forgot to mention a 3L platypus. Curious about the grayl bottle's. Do you have any experience with them?

Yes, I used one all of last year and it's my favorite filter system. I'd carry 2-3 other bottles, when I came to a stream I'd filter into the Grayl, pour it into the empty bottles/jugs and fill them up, fill the Grayl one more time and put the cap on, good to go. I could filter in a fraction of the amount of time it took others with their filter systems and hoses and pumps, etc. Simple, fast, and effective.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Yes, I used one all of last year and it's my favorite filter system. I'd carry 2-3 other bottles, when I came to a stream I'd filter into the Grayl, pour it into the empty bottles/jugs and fill them up, fill the Grayl one more time and put the cap on, good to go. I could filter in a fraction of the amount of time it took others with their filter systems and hoses and pumps, etc. Simple, fast, and effective.

A lot of reviews about the filter clogging up after a few uses and becoming increasingly hard to push down. Any experience with that?

OFFHNTN

WKR
A lot of reviews about the filter clogging up after a few uses and becoming increasingly hard to push down. Any experience with that?

No, not really for me. It did seem to get a little harder to push down by the end of the season, but not bad. I guess when I bought mine I didn't see hardly any negative reviews. I can only assume the longevity of the filter would have a lot to do with the cleanliness of the water. I almost always filled and filtered mine in a stream where there was fast moving water, or where it boiled over a rock, etc where water is typically more "clean". If you filled and filtered in a stagnant dirty puddle, or a muddy stock pond full of algae, I can see it clogging pretty quick. For the convenience and price, I have no problem just buying a new filter every year.