BC Goat Hunt Gear List and Prep.

Sitting here I am 92 days out from my BC Goat hunt. I booked the hunt in Feb of 2015. I was pretty out of shape when I booked. Not big but just out of shape. I was 25, 5'11" and 195 LBS. I instantly started a rigorous workout routine and made some big diet changes. Currently I am now 162 lbs. I went from barely able to run 1/2 mile to now running 10 miles. I will run through my gear list as well as what I am doing to prepare for the hunt. Please give remarks on advice.

Gear List.
Base Layer
Sitka merino boxer (3)
First lite merino bottom
Sitka core lightweight bottom
First lite llano merino top
Sitka merino top

Sitka kelvin lite hoody
Sitka Jetstream Jacket (may drop)
Sitka Cloudburst jacket

Bottom
Sitka timberline pant
Sitka cloudburst pant

Headwear
Sitka cap
Sitka Beanie

Feet
Smarkwool hiker socks (4pr)
Kenetrek Mtn extreme uninsulated
Crocs

Gloves
sitka Shooter
Sitka cloudburst gtx

Sleep system
Mtn Hardwear lamina 0 synthetic
Therma rest trail pro pad

Rifle
7mm Rem mag
1 box federal 160 gr nosler partition (will carry 8 shells or so)

Optics
Vortex viper 10x binos
Vortex razor spotter 16x48
Vortex ranger 1000 rangefinder
Triopod
Phone skope adaptor
Bino harness

Misc. / Personal items
Knife
Petzl Tikka headlamp
Black diamond carbon Z poles
Point and shoot digital camera
Stone glacier Sky 5100 pack
Stone glacier pack cover
32 oz water bottle
meat bags
Go Pro Hero 5
Small pack alcohol free wet wipes
Leukotape
lip balm
small tooth brush / paste
monkey butt
2 small dry bags for electronics / personal items

20170621_140517.jpg

OP
Nickziegler
My workout Routine has been pretty consistent. I lift weights 2-3 times per week. I do typically 1 long run each week 7-10 miles (I am trying to work up more throughout summer). 2-3 days a week I will do short runs of 2-3 miles prior to weight training. Also 1 day a week I will strap 35 lbs to my pack and put the treadmill at a 30% incline and climb to 2000-2500 vertical feet gain. 1 day I will do the same but only climb 1500 feet. Come July 1 I will increase the weight to 45 lbs. August I will increase to 55 lbs. about 2 weeks out from the hunt I will start to cut back on weight lifting and long runs. I will just focus on shorter runs and stretching to avoid injury.

OP
Nickziegler
Background on the Hunt.

The outfitter conducts his hunts a little different than normal goat hunts from what I understand. Not every day we will be utilizing spike camps. He has comfortable base camp that at times will be going back to. Some days we will be using spike camps and I prefer to use them, but will be nice to be able to go back to a nice place instead of staying a night in miserable weather. The location is SE BC.

daddie63

WKR
I haven't been on a goat hunt yet but I always like to see what and how people physically prepare for such a hunt. Best of luck to you and look forward to reading your story when you return.

colomark

FNG
I would add the stepmill to your routine, if you have one available at your gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would add the stepmill to your routine, if you have one available at your gym.

Agree. I find that if I'm unable to get out and train in the mountains, with a pack, the stair stepper is a good alternative. In the winter months I'll typically throw my hunting pack on with a moderate amount of wt. in it, and jump on the stair stepper for an hour, 3-5 times/week.

When I first read your clothing list I was thinking way too many clothes, but I guess if you're leaving them at base camp it should be OK. Just curious, I didn't see any food or stove, water treatment system, etc., listed. Is your outfitter handling all of that?

OP
Nickziegler
Outfitter is handling all the food water and shelter. However I will divide with him. I'm not about making 1 guy carry that. Unfortunately I don't have a stepper...i workout at a work gym that has about everything but. However putting the incline to 30% under a loaded pack and getting flex in my boots / ankles I think will be ok instead of flat footed on a stepper?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think your gear list looks pretty good. Clothing wise I would ditch the soft shell and the core lightweight bottoms. And honestly the first lite bottoms too as long was it wasn't likely to get below like 40 degrees during the day.

As far as the outfitter and food, I would strongly encourage bringing some kind of protein bar that you like. I've filmed a lot of these style hunts where the outfitter was prepping the food and there's usually not much during the day besides a couple candy bars and a sandwich. Which with high physical activity makes me hangry after about the second day. I go grab some Pro Bar Meal bars for one a day and some Justins Peanut/Almond butter packets.

Decker9

WKR
Your gear list looks good. Iv always found, goat mountain weather changes by day, take extra clothing with you to base camp, and pack your pack from there, depending on how the weather looks.
Good on ya for getting into goat shape!! But there is absolutely nothing that helps as much as, putting the pack on, and getting off tail. Alders devil clubs and blowdown, will break some of the most fit guys, if available to you, get out of the gym, and onto a overgrown steep hillside, the outcome will be night/day for you when the time comes to hit the mountain.

Good luck!! BC goat hunting, is the best of the best imo.

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
I'll also be heading to BC for goat this September. Your list looks good to go! I need to add the GoPro to my list yet, need something to relive the memories down the road.

Good luck!

OP
Nickziegler
Thanks all...good lock to you Jack on your hunt also...maybe I'll bring the wife and dog for a long weekend to Yellowstone this summer for more training!!

mcseal2

WKR
I've never goat hunted, but sounds like an awesome adventure, good luck to you!

Just to throw this out there, have you had good luck with the Vortex range finder? I looked at getting one when they had been out for a short time and the reviews steered me away. If it works for you at the ranges you shoot I say go with it. I ran cheaper rangefinders for a while and when I stepped up to a Leica Geovid rangefinder/bino it was the best hunting investment I ever made. The bushnell, leupold, or Nikon 1200yd plus versions failed me to many times in crappy weather at 400yds. The Leica is lightning fast further than I will shoot in worse conditions. I have no experience with the Vortex so take this for what it's worth. I just wanted to mention it, that may be a once in a lifetime shot you take on this hunt and I want it to be successful. Vortex makes good products at a great price with a great warranty and I like the company very much, I just hadn't heard much good about that particular product of theirs.

Anyway, let us know how you do. Sounds to me like you are doing all the right things to make this hunt a success.

OP
Nickziegler
So far I have had accurate readings from the vortex ramger...however I haven't used it much during bad weather so I will have to test that out next time it gets nasty and see if there is a change. Thanks for the heads up on that though!

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
Can you say who you are hunting with, might no the area and what the terrain is like so
will no what you mighty be up against.

Stew

Lil-Rokslider
Beaverfoot outfitting...Golden BC

Ok ya I have hunted in that area before, sounds like you are doing all you can to be in shape for the hunt which is a good plus. The area is a good area for goats although pretty much all of Region 4 which is the south eastern part is seeing a decline in there goat populations. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Good luck you should have no problems getting a nice billy.

You need to be able to pack quite a bit of water with you.......100 ounces for the day unless your guide is sure there are running streams where you will be hunting. I use Gatorade bottles, many others like bladders. On that same note I use Emergen C sports/electrolyte mix to keep from getting cramps......often using 3 packets in a day.

Mid-late Sept can be warm in the day, or it can snow. Nights and early mornings in goat country are usually cold. I'd take boots with 400 gram insulation myself, but you know your own feet

I've taken to using the iPhone with a charging pack in lieu of any other electronics except a Spot and headlamp. The new ones have decent camera, get the GAIA GPS app and download the aerial photos/maps for the area you will hunt.

Have a great hunt and bring back a good one!!!