BC Mule Deer - Merritt area

Hoffer

FNG
Hey all!

Just returned from a two night pack back hunt up north of Merritt, BC on crown land. Came across a white tail doe, muley doe and a buck that wasn't legal at this time. I'm relatively new to hunting and went into this area totally blind aside from some online research and mapping. Also saw a ton of sign from moose (which mostly looked old) and deer both fresh and old. The land we were hunting is also grazing land for cattle up that way. What I would like to put out to all you out there is a few questions about the area/similar hunting areas and any experience from around there your willing to share!

Will the removal of cattle from the area back to their home ranches increase the chances of deer coming in?
Cover ground over game trails or sit and glass? (we did a combination of both and our run ins with deer were while on foot through trails/beddings)
What are the chances that non-legal buck I saw will still be there 9 days from now when he is then deemed legal?

Look forwards to any info you might be willing to throw my way! Feel free to shoot a PM.
Happy hunting everybody

Jnrod

FNG
Hey, from my experience here in Merritt, the deer don't seem to care too much about the cows and usually stay in the same area. If you see em once, odds are you will see them in the area again. September is a tough time to hunt out here. The big bucks are high and deep in the back country. If you want something smaller and know where to go, you can usually get something the start of October when any buck opens. My experience is that you're best to wait till about mid to late October just before the rut when the bucks start to come out of hiding. I tagged my 4 point on Ocotber 2nd, but it was a lot of luck and at the top of a mountain...best to hunt out here the last week of October and into November the bucks get stupid.

I've been thinking of heading out to Merritt for a weekend hunt. Probably won't have the time to get out there until early November, but it's nice to know there are a few around in that area.

OP
Hoffer

Hoffer

FNG
Hey, from my experience here in Merritt, the deer don't seem to care too much about the cows and usually stay in the same area. If you see em once, odds are you will see them in the area again. September is a tough time to hunt out here. The big bucks are high and deep in the back country. If you want something smaller and know where to go, you can usually get something the start of October when any buck opens. My experience is that you're best to wait till about mid to late October just before the rut when the bucks start to come out of hiding. I tagged my 4 point on Ocotber 2nd, but it was a lot of luck and at the top of a mountain...best to hunt out here the last week of October and into November the bucks get stupid.
Appreciate the insight man!

Sako68

FNG
The weather is starting to turn from fall to winter in around the Merritt area. The spots up high where you saw deer may start to be empty. Depending on the hunting pressure and there is a lot of hunting pressure around Merritt in October the bucks you have seen will be pushed around or killed. Find out of the way areas and look for sign, and hunt small. Buck that have survived the opening two weeks of any Mule deer buck season will be hunkered down in thick unfriendly areas but can be had by being smart. November things change with the rut but it aint no cake walk. You still have to get into the right spots and and hope the deer have not gone too nocturnal with the hunting pressure. Good luck