BC or AK goat hunt?

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I'm investigating my options for a mt goat hunt in 2013. The last few years I've applied for a goat tag in several states, but have come up empty. I've decided to look into hunting in BC or AK. I've been to several websites of different guides and gotten some information, but thought I would get some honest information from people here. Basically, I'd like to know the primary differences, advantage/disadvantages of BC vs AK goat hunts. I'm interested in a 7-10 backpack hunt, rifle.
price?
time of year?
quality of hunt?
style of hunting?
anything else, or major red flags to keep an eye out for??

thanks.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My friend has used these guys for a few bear hunts. I met Aaron at the Sportsman Show here in AK and he seems like a stand out guy.
https://fullcurlalaska.com/Home_Page.php
[email protected]

If they can't help you they can steer ya in the right direction as far as AK is concerned. Goat is not their main business, but they know and hunt Alaska and do have experience in that arena.

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
I went with Alaska Frontier guides last year and had an awesome hunt. Ben Stevenson is first rate and it is very reasonably priced compaired to BC hunts.

I did the same thing a couple of years ago, figured I was never going to draw a tag, so to BC I went. I looked at AK and BC, and to be honest the main differences I found were the travel expenses. I was close enough to Smithers BC, that I drove. I have been looking again and there are a lot of good deals right now.
The one issue I had was, having always done everything from the planning, scouting, (work) myself. I didn't feel the satisfaction of a DIY hunt. With that said, it was a great experience.
Steve

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the responses. I've been to several guide webpages, but it is hard to narrow it down to the basics of different hunts offered. More info would be great!

Haven't heard of those guys.
One recomendation for sure.
Do a 10 day hunt, you can get screwed by the weather and run out of time.

Yup. I Plan on hunting with Dustin as soon as I can at Back Country and Beyond. Will be going with my bow though. His plan is do what ever it takes to get you your animal.

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
Do you mind if I ask how much $ for Dustin? I emaild him in February requesting information, but he only sent me a quick reply and never followed up.

Sorry I didn't see the question. I will give ya a number of this is the whole she-bang. Overall about 9000. Hunt cost, tag, liscense, ect. This was a few years back, so hunt price might have gone up a bit. The only variable would travel cost. Boden and Lewis produce a lot of record book billies, but Dustin can put you on a P&Y billies. They hunt two different areas. Both outfits top notch. If you have no shot opportunity, you come back next year. Dustin is a bow hunter so he knows how to hunt them with bow hunters.

Drelk

FNG
+1 for bolen Lewis

umase8uz.jpg

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the information. I'm interested in a backpack style hunt, but it appears by late fall/winter most of the hunting methods involve day stalks from lower camps.

Maxhunter

WKR
I hunted last year with Bolen & Lewis the last part of September. The goat's hair is long that time of year. Also their hunts are all backpack hunts. I was lucky and took this billy within 20 minutes after setting up camp. We saw 7 billies on the our way up the mountain. I kind of felt like I got cheated after all the expense & hard training preparing for this hunt and have it over so quick but I'm not complaining that's for sure. You don't pass up an opportunity at this caliber of animal when it presents itself! I hope this gets you excited for your upcoming hunt where ever you go!
GoatPict1.jpg