BC packraft hunt

bard

Lil-Rokslider
SO i been reading a ton on the Alpacka rafts the last little bit. They look like the bees knees and i think i need to pull the trigger. Anyone know of some good BC sheep country this would help a guy get into? i have only done fly in's to lakes and don't know much about the rivers never mind which ones would be a good idea to float. maybe float into the spatsizi park?

Decker9

WKR
I’m not sure about floating into, but flying in and floating out, has always been an idea Iv wanted to do. Sounds like this is a start of a fine adventure!!

There are some big rivers over in the northern region 7, being a smaller pack raft, it would be cool to hit places that most big jet boats can’t go, opens up some new ground I bet!! Urs from northern Rockies might be worth bs’n with?

MattBC

FNG
I've done a few float hunts. One for mixed species and one for sheep. We were successful on both. I would say both trips were significantly more work than just backpacking but the raft can get you into country you otherwise may not be able to hunt. The fly in and float out option is definitely the way to go unless you have a good pickup location part way out that saves you some days of drifting. Lots of rivers in the north to try but i'd definitely focus on the ones with falls that limit boat from coming up the rivers.

Silver

FNG
I picked up a pack raft to access an area that requires a short river crossing about 4km in. Not sure I'd take the alpacka for a float hunt, but that is definitely a dream of mine... So much so I picked this up for a moose LEH last fall. Hopefully one day soon I can pick a river with less jetboat traffic and float hunt out. IMG_20200930_152421.jpg