BC Stone Sheep Outfitters

Is any history or insight available on the better BC Stone sheep outfitters? Scoop Lake and Big 9 were a couple of recommendations, but I’m sure there are other good options. Looking for good genetics, darker coloration and areas with high trophy class density allowing better hunter success.

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
I researched them all and in the end chose Stone Mountain Safaris. My hunt starts August 1. There are pluses and minuses to all of them and there are several good ones. In the end, I just had my best “feel” with Leif at Stone Mountain. I’ve had friends hunt with Dustin Roe, Tushodi, Prophet Muskwa and Big Nine. They all had great hunts and killed Stones. I had a not so good Stone hunt in the Yukon. There are tons of good ones, weed through them and go with what feels right.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
It's a large investment for a Stone. I'd go to Sheep Show next year and visit with multiple outfitters. You'll get some nice leads on here and have a list of guys to meet but don't make a $45,000 decision off of an online forum.

I too am looking at a Stone for my next sheep. Unfortunately, I'm seeing a gal that has me thinking about finally cashing-in my chips at age 35. I might have to get this done before someone else has a say on the hunt!

Go to the BC Guide and Outfitters Association website. They list all members with contact info. You can see the quality and coloration of rams on the each outfitter’s website drilling deeper in.

My personal opinion is our Stone sheep really vary in color. A single herd of rams may have sheep nearly Dall white to Bighorn brown to a few that run very dark. My favorites are the salt and pepper variety but they are all nice! Horns are darker where the rams spend more time in the timber versus above treeline. But that can be in the same sheep area.

Stone sheep get hunted fairly hard by resident hunters and the outfitters alike, especially in relatively accessible spots to fly in lakes, proximate to spots you can hike into off the highway, etc. Look into that when making your decision.

Good luck!

Oh and I’d say there is a better chance for sheep with larger bases in the NE, region7 vs region 6 in the NW. Lots of variation however.

idig4au

WKR
I took my stone with Heidi Gutfrucht of NW Ranching and Outfitting. Highly recommend assuming she is still guiding. She keeps a low profile.

I agree with others though, best to go the sheep show or other industry show and talk to the outfitters in person. Best to see if your personalities jive and etc

Heidi’s outfit had a booth at the sheep show. Her daughter and son in law were there when I stopped by for a minute.

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a good one with Tuchodi River Outfitters. They are a great outfit. Mine has big horns and the perfect cape. I did a life-size mount.

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
Call Bryan Martin or one of the other BC sheep gurus. The areas are always changing a bit and it depends on what you are looking for on many fronts. Also, lots of territories are being sold or up for sale (including one of the ones mentioned above). That can be great or not so great, always relevant if you are planning to book several years ahead.

I've never heard a bad thing about Terminus, dark caped sheep. Drinkall sold it a year or two ago. A hunter I guided on a goat hunt went there after it was sold and had an awesome hunt.

Last edited:

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I Have dealt with Darwin and Wendy (owners) and their air transport personally. They catered to my needs even though I wasn't "their guided hunter". We needed extra flights for meat and went out of their way to do that for us, they run a very professional operation in great country. They have been in business a long time and know how to get animals.

Last edited:
This thread was very helpful! I am curious to find out who he went with as well. Anyone doing any 2020/21 stone sheep hunts and what outfitters did you choose?

tkjwonta

FNG
It's a large investment for a Stone. I'd go to Sheep Show next year and visit with multiple outfitters. You'll get some nice leads on here and have a list of guys to meet but don't make a $45,000 decision off of an online forum.

I too am looking at a Stone for my next sheep. Unfortunately, I'm seeing a gal that has me thinking about finally cashing-in my chips at age 35. I might have to get this done before someone else has a say on the hunt!
[/QUOTEo

buzzy

WKR
Choose wisely. I have heard stories of outfitters with great reputations not come close to being fair during the cancellations of hunts due to COVID. No direct info to share on Stone hunts but a few in the NWT and Yukon on Dall. I’d suggest talking to hunters who booked in 2020 to see how they were treated. Some outfitters are going above and beyond as well so there are many good ones out there.

Trial153

WKR
I agree this situation will shed lots of light on outfitters reputations both positive and negative

Mac-Diddy

FNG
Choose wisely. I have heard stories of outfitters with great reputations not come close to being fair during the cancellations of hunts due to COVID. No direct info to share on Stone hunts but a few in the NWT and Yukon on Dall. I’d suggest talking to hunters who booked in 2020 to see how they were treated. Some outfitters are going above and beyond as well so there are many good ones out there.

Hey buzz4me2,

Can you provide us any more specifics? I am interested in booking a NWT dall hunt, and the information would be much appreciated! Happy if you want to PM the information as well, though it would be helpful for the community to hear.

Thanks!

Gana River in NWT pushed all hunts from 2020 to 2021 and 2021 hunts to 2022. They have been more than fair with communication and honoring booked hunts. Harold said if new dates didn’t work then we’d figure something out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk