BDL actions for 300 prc

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
I need to be schooled up on bdl custom actions for 300 prc/sm/wm.

i want to start building a 30 for the elk woods hopefully by next year. Still haven’t decided on which exact 30 I want to do but I know that I want it to be running out of a bdl system.

That being said I’ve never owned a rifle with bdl. This is all relatively new to me. I have figured out that I want to run a Wyatt’s mbe2/3, I just need to figure out which action would be best to start with. I want to keep it around $1k for the action itself. Stiller predator/defiance tenacity or anti/gunwerks grb all have Wyatt’s extended box cuts and are all hovering around that 1,000 mark. What about bighorn origin or atlas tactical? Can they work with a mbe2/3 box without smithing?

I found a mausingfield LA mag boltface for around that same price too. I’ve heard some things about their headspacing not being consistent enough for prefits which is a little concerning. And they just seem…complicated.

Any other actions I should be considering?

I put a 30 Nosler together last winter with the anTi action and couldn't be happier, its incredibly light, smooth, and I'm getting awesome accuracy.
Its custom throated for 230 Bergers and I'm running a wyatts box with Obendorf BDL bottom metal.
If a 28 oz action is acceptable to you then have a look at the Lone Peak Razor, its also top of the line and precise enough for prefits.

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the razor too. Those two configs are top end of the budget for sure. I wanted to see if I could sneak by with an origin or atlas but from everything I’ve seen it doesn’t look like the Wyatt’s boxes are a bolt on application. I will reach out to them both tomorrow.

Still torn on the mausingfield too.

I have an M7 Mausingfield and I really like it. Some time during the maturity of the Mausingfield actions they were standardized to accept prefits. The ARC website shows the serial # ranges of models that will and wont accept a prefit.

Lots of great choices today, I like ARC, Lone Peak and Defiance but 99% of the custom actions available today are a good foundation.

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Is $1150 a good deal for an unfired m7? I know the msrp is higher I just need to know if it’s something I should jump on or not.

Is $1150 a good deal for an unfired m7? I know the msrp is higher I just need to know if it’s something I should jump on or not.
If its in the configuration you want, I'd jump on it. Especially if its local and you can cut down on shipping cost ect. Make sure it'll accept the mag box you want, there's several different configurations of the Mausingfield and some accept BDL bottom metal and others are magazine fed only.

Also make sure that your gunsmith of choice/prefit maker is familiar with machining Mausingfield barrels, there's a few different things to account for that don't apply to push feed actions and some gunsmiths are ignorant to the potential pitfalls and could unknowingly produce you a unacceptable finished product. I use LRI.

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a long action magnum boltface with the open top. So that’s the bdl compatible action. I’m very torn on whether or not it’s worth it with the complexity of the action. Have you had any issues with it?

It’s a long action magnum boltface with the open top. So that’s the bdl compatible action. I’m very torn on whether or not it’s worth it with the complexity of the action. Have you had any issues with it?
Zero issues with mine. Mausingfields sound complicated until you get your hands on one, they're very simple in reality. It's your money, make sure you get exactly what you want. There's no reason to jump on an M7 if its not what you want. A good deal on the wrong item isn't a good deal.

Wapiti1

WKR
Mausingfields were an attempt to uncomplicate a rifle action and correct some issues many see with Sako and M16 style extractors. He did a fair job, too, IMO. As has been stated above, the current actions are well machined and held to tight tolerances. Early on, prefits weren't a consideration, so he didn't hold them to that tight a tolerance.

I would buy one at $1150 to get the claw extractor, but my needs aren't in line with most on here.

My only gripe about the action is the god awful ugly bolt knob. But I have a lathe......

That said, I have used them. If I had never seen one, I would get my hands on it and see/feel it. Then decide.

Jeremy

The Mausingfield bolt knob is no doubt the one of the worst thing to happen to the firearms industry in modern history. Luckily its easy to swap it out!

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Hahah yeah that was the first thing I checked. Looks like they have some reasonable options to replace. I do like the crf to be honest. I know that dead horse has been beaten multiple times over.

Does anyone use a kelbly Atlas action? I guess it is cut to fit wyatts 3.825 box. I wonder how feeding rounds through the port would work? Especially with a long 30

My prc is on a tenacity. I like it and it was very affordable.

Fwiw I have never too loaded it(aside from singles) as it’s a wyatts center feed and you’re not supposed to. I load all my BDLs through the bottom.

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Shows how much I know about bdl. I went ahead and called up kelbly. Looks like the Atlas tactical comes in an extended box cut! Went ahead and placed an order for one. Seems like those actions have a pretty big following. Pretty excited for my first full custom!

Shows how much I know about bdl. I went ahead and called up kelbly. Looks like the Atlas tactical comes in an extended box cut! Went ahead and placed an order for one. Seems like those actions have a pretty big following. Pretty excited for my first full custom!
What did they quote you for a timeframe?

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Quoting people 16 weeks, said most are done in 6 weeks. 10 long actions at the nitride facility for “in stock” actions that should be back in less than 2 weeks. I’m going to snag one of those.

Okay. If the wait was outrageous I was going to say contact Ryan Pierce at Piercision Rifles as I am pretty sure he has kelbly tacticals in stock.

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
I had considered that, but they are all Remington style extractors. I wanted to try out the mechanical ejection

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Not a clue!

triggertech special
Wyatts box
Maybe bartlein barrel? #3? No carbon. Carbon barrels don’t do it for me for some reason.
Stock? I have an allterra on a semi custom tikka. I like it a lot but I might go with a manner or McMillan this time around. Honestly I’m open to any and all suggestions on that end.
Glass? Maybe another nx8, maybe a mk5 this time around.

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know if I need a M5 oberndorf LA bdl for a wyatts PRC box? Or can I use a standard oberndorf LA bottom metal with that box?