Be careful out there!

dtrkyman

WKR
Hey guys just a simple reminder, get a first aid kit and keep it with at all times.

Found a couple bucks and packed in for 2.5 days(plan anyway) Had to haul in 2 gallons of water (ugg)!

day in I jumped off a log landed on an unseen branch (dead fall) it snapped and whacked me in the ear and side of the head, basically like being hit with a bat, luckily it rang my bell but did not knock me out, had to dig into my pack which had zero first aid in it and use a games bag for the bleeding from my ear, quite a bit of blood was running down my face and dripping all over my gear.

Fortunately it was not major but a lesson was learned for sure, cut my last 1.5 days of hunting off as I had no way to access the damage until I hiked out 3 miles to my jeep. My ear is swollen and a large gash was taken out of it.

Good luck Elk hunters, they were getting quite vocal!!!

Just ordered a new kit, any suggestions for extras?

Thanks

BE SAFE!!!

EastMT

WKR
Quick clot single use tubes, leukotape, gauze, pain meds.

Leukotape you can use to stop bleeding, tape sprained ankle, tape blisters or hot spots, make shift strap, etc.

Rich M

WKR
Stuff happens. I've even taken to wearing cutting gloves for game processing.

Glad you were able to get it taken care of and keep hunting.

Hunting is an adventure and that’s why we go do it. Lots of things can go wrong and you can’t plan for everything that can happen. It’s annoying when people scorn others for mistakes made while hunting.
Glad you are ok!

ohoopee

WKR
I had a little mishap early this year that caused me to update
my kit. Purchased some single use medical superglue and
quarter inch suture tape from amazon. 5 mile hike out and
visit to ER and they used the above. Just clean slices on my fingers.
I could have taken care of it backcountry. I left my tape on
the table while checking out my kit before I left home:(.

On my elk hunting trip I managed to put a fishing lure into my trigger finger way past the barbs the first time I’d even thought about bringing a dumb sh@t kit with me never know what can happen out there thanks for the reminder to pack my kit before MT elk deer hunt

For the minimalist kit, I take New Skin or similar "medical superglue", a couple sachets each of burn and itch ointment, Tylenol (pick your pain med of choice), Immodium, 1" med tape, a couple 4x4s, 2-3 bandaids, tweezers, and a TQ. My full kit has a second TQ, quik-clot gauze, two chest seals, gloves, 3" tape, and similar very bad day equipment.

TheGDog

WKR
Definitely bring the imodium, and Zyrtec, and industrial strength pain meds. (Usually Tylenol #3's), and Anti-Acid! Self-cling bandage wrap. Quick Clot. Self-Apply combat application Tourniquet. And don't forget good eye drops! And an extra pair of glasses J.I.C.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pretty minimalist kit. Unlike others, I don't take a TQ or quick clot; both can cause more harm than good if used incorrectly or when not necessary (and I've seen both used correctly and incorrectly). I guess I'm not planning for gunshots or IED blasts in the backcountry. And if I need a TQ (i.e., I'll die if I don't use one), I'll use a belt, boot lace, or cut a piece of my clothing; if it's serious enough for a TQ, I'm hitting the beacon to try to save that limb.

I carry a few bandaids, butterfly bandages, a few 2x2 non stick, leukotape, liquid bandage, and the vet version of dermabond. I also carry a few meds (ibuprofen, acetaminophen, immodium, zyrtec).

I have a pretty minimalist kit. Unlike others, I don't take a TQ or quick clot; both can cause more harm than good if used incorrectly or when not necessary (and I've seen both used correctly and incorrectly). I guess I'm not planning for gunshots or IED blasts in the backcountry. And if I need a TQ (i.e., I'll die if I don't use one), I'll use a belt, boot lace, or cut a piece of my clothing; if it's serious enough for a TQ, I'm hitting the beacon to try to save that limb.

I carry a few bandaids, butterfly bandages, a few 2x2 non stick, leukotape, liquid bandage, and the vet version of dermabond. I also carry a few meds (ibuprofen, acetaminophen, immodium, zyrtec).
Depending on belts and shoelaces as hasty TQs? You may wish to do a quick search on Youtube and your favorite search engine. There's considerable documentation on that subject. Improved TQs from a stick/pole as a windlass and a 2-3" wide doubled over denim or shirt is a better bet.

Everyone has to make their own decisions. IMHO, bleed out from a puncture, gunshot, goring, or other traumatic event is a quick event and in the back country that's exactly why I'll take the weight penalty of a TQ (2.8 oz). My background, education, and training give me a comfort level with the correct application of TQ and quick clot products and familiarity with success rates of alternate methods. YMMV, best of luck and be safe!

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on belts and shoelaces as hasty TQs? You may wish to do a quick search on Youtube and your favorite search engine. There's considerable documentation on that subject. Improved TQs from a stick/pole as a windlass and a 2-3" wide doubled over denim or shirt is a better bet.

Everyone has to make their own decisions. IMHO, bleed out from a puncture, gunshot, goring, or other traumatic event is a quick event and in the back country that's exactly why I'll take the weight penalty of a TQ (2.8 oz). My background, education, and training give me a comfort level with the correct application of TQ and quick clot products and familiarity with success rates of alternate methods. YMMV, best of luck and be safe!
Fully agree that everyone has to make their own decisions! The takeaway I was trying to convey is - if a hunter chooses to take a TQ and quick clot, they need to understand exactly when to use them and the negative aspects of each. I believe most people don't have the same knowledge and training with them that you and I apparently have. I know of people who have placed TQs on superficial wounds that direct pressure would have resolved --- and lost that limb as a result.