Be honest with me, Is this a dumb idea?

I want to go sheep hunting. I will most likely never a draw a tag in the lower 48 and it will take me at least 10 years to save up for a guided hunt in AK and I don't feel like waiting that long. My only option is Montana unlimited hunt.

So, here is my idea. This year, I plan on hunting a certain General Elk/Deer HD that overlaps with an unlimited Sheep unit. My thought process is, I can get in there and see what the country is actually like, chase some elk and deer, and just get a general feel to see if I could even do an sheep hunt in the unlimiteds.

Now, you may wonder why wouldn't I just go ahead and hunt sheep instead of elk. My reasoning is this. If I get there and realize that there is no way I can do this hunt due to terrain/weather or whatever, then I can bail and go hunt another general elk unit and not really be out anything other than a little time. That way I wouldn't be eating a sheep tag without even hunting them. Also, I would not even consider carrying both a sheep and an elk tag, because there is no way I could hunt both and have any chance at success.

I am fully aware that the elk/deer numbers in these units are not that great and that sheep numbers are low and odds of success on sheep are less than 1%. If I ever did an unlimited hunt, I would be of the full understanding that I will most likely never even see a legal ram. But, dang it, I want to sheep hunt. So, should I try the elk hunt as a primer/scouting excursion. Or just man up and buy the sheep tag and go for it?

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered moving to BC, Yukon, Alaska or NWT? :D

Sorry, can't offer any advice on the Montana Unlimited.....

MtGomer

WKR
Are you taking horses?

If not, you’re kidding yourself if you think you’re going to hunt elk. It’s just too far to backpack one.
If you are taking horses, call the USFS district office and get information on trails. Not all the trails on your map have been maintained recently and could be a real train wreck with a pack string.

I wish I would have purchased one of these tags at least three or four years when I was younger. Instead I always put in for the the draw areas. There are larger rams in these draw areas of Montana, but there are still some nice rams in the unlimited areas. Let's see it's year number 42 in a row putting in for sheep and moose now and still have not drawn a single tag. Now that being said who knows, you might get lucky and draw one of the special tags your first year! You never know. I'd say go for it.

I couldn't tell if you are from Montana or not. If not I believe you can put in for a deer elk combination. If it were me and I could afford it if I lived out of state and I had this idea such as yours, I would put in for the elk - deer combo and I'd put in for the unlimited sheep tag. What the heck, you just increase your odds of getting a nice animal on your adventures. What can it hurt, nothing.

Jack Atcheson Jr. would be very worth while contacting and getting some advise from him on these areas. He has hunted and guided in the unlimited areas for years.

If I remember correctly I think there are 3 or 4 books by Duncan Gilchrist - Montana Land of Giant Rams. They each are well worth reading and I cannot recall which one has the most information, but I believe there is a section speaking about the unlimited areas and Jack Atcheson Jr. writes about these units. I had them but sold them to a person who was going sheep hunting. I had read them 2-3 times each. The books are helpful. Might be worth buying a couple of them.

David

Good point on the elk from the gentlemen previous to my post. It would be worth having someone with horses that you could contact with an In Reach or cell phone if you have reception that could come and assist in retrieving your animals if you are so fortunate. I think that would be worth the money. Maybe you could get someone to take you in on horseback and leave you (and a buddy) back there, and come pick you up at a designated date 5-10 days later or however long you wanted to be back in there hunting.

Last edited:

Mt Al

WKR
There's no crime in doing what you're describing, you've done the research on few deer and elk in overlapping areas. I'm not you, but if I were in your shoes I'd just buy a sheep permit and go on a backpacking trip and focus 100% vs looking over your shoulder for a way out. Bring a fly rod!!!! If you get up there and just hate it, you'll catch more fish in the lakes and streams than you know what to do with, take some hero pics and call it good. The whole area is awesome, spent many many weekends all around there as a kid.

However, if buying the deer and elk permits gives you some mental peace as you go after unlimited sheep, then do it and don't think twice.

Can't go wrong either way because 99% of the whole thing is simply getting out there and being in the environment. GO!

Also, I would not even consider carrying both a sheep and an elk tag, because there is no way I could hunt both and have any chance at success.
If the seasons themselves overlap, and you can afford both tags, why not? You would kick yourself if you saw some Sheep without a tag.

Pro953

WKR
My only thought is, the few times I have gone on a hunt with a different agenda I generally do a bad job on both goals. I have tried to do hunts as “scouting” trips into areas. I either end up not putting the effort into the hunt so I can explore or I focus on my hunt and leave feeling I did not really scout much of the unit as I was hunting.

I say set a goal and focus on that. If you want to hunt. Elk hunt elk and do not worry about sheep. If you want to hunt sheep, hunt sheep. You may see some of the unit but you it’s possible you leave with a crappy elk hunt and not a lot of great intel on the sheep areas of the unit.

If you want to experience a sheep hunt buy the tag and attack it. Seems like you have a good attitude going in and know success are low. Put 100% in and have a great hunt. If you love it you can go back again and you will have done your real scouting trip on your last sheep hunt. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
If you have a reason to stop the sheep hunt. You will leave and hunt something else.

My understanding of the Unlimited Area is that anyone who is successful spends years in there, each year building on the previous years experience.

I've had extra tags in my pocket, and it often leads to do nothing well. When I think about my successful trips, they are often successful in the last day or two.

A single tag leads to a singular focus.

All good points and from a broad perspective it makes sense to focus on one species at a time, particularly when it comes to limited or hard to draw hunts. To me, this scenario makes good sense to have both tags, under the right circumstances of course.

If the Elk Hunt was a rut hunt, then no, I don't think I would also carry that Sheep tag because the tactics are totally different. If we are talking post rut Elk then I definitely would because it's a glassing game at that point, and one would likely be glassing steep rugged terrain that could likely also harbor Sheep.

With the success rate as low as it is for that Sheep hunt I would personally not be caught in there without the tag while "scouting" for next year. Stack as many odds in your favor as possible.

Can you take a spring scouting trip? If you really want to sheep hunt focus on that and don't leave yourself a way out. Both tags are expensive, to just burn.

Jimbob

WKR
If you want to hunt sheep then go all in and from what I gather that's what it takes to succeed in the unlimited areas. Don't give yourself an out. Why do you think you might not be able to do it?

My first hunting season here in BC I drove north by myself in August, hiked in 25 km (15.5 miles) and killed the ram in my pic on opening day. It was a mix of total luck, an absolute willingness to do whatever it takes, and a lifetime of preparation.

If you want to hunt sheep then do it, the worst that can happen is you go on an awesome hiking trip.

OP
T
I think I am just going to have to man up and do a sheep hunt. Or maybe I should call it a backcountry camping trip with a sheep tag.

Sykes

WKR
I think it's a great idea and wanna go with you!

I brought up the unlimited hunt with a few of my buddies and they just kinda blew it off as too hard and low success. But hey there is always a chance and Alaska ain't gunna happen for me while I'm still young enough to enjoy it. Camping trip with a sheep tag sounds good to me

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
I like it! But here is how I see that going if I did it. I would hike in with an elk tag and see the most beautiful Ram ever and no Elk. The next year, I would hike in with a sheep tag and be surrounded by 300”+ Bulls. But that’s just how things seem to go for me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
I know this isn't 'smart' financial advice, but have you considered getting a loan now for a sheep hunt and then paying it off over a period of time. It would satisfy your 'sheep itch' sooner than later.

Trial153

WKR
I know this isn't 'smart' financial advice, but have you considered getting a loan now for a sheep hunt and then paying it off over a period of time. It would satisfy your 'sheep itch' sooner than later.
Considering the amount of inflation that has hit sheep hunts and low cost of borrowing i think this is more viable then many people think...

Poser

WKR
I would just do a scouting trip. You can go in as deep as you wish without having to worry about a pack out and cover a tremendous amount of ground as a result of that and not having the weight of hunting gear.

How you answer this answers whether or not it is a bad idea. I don’t know how many people responding to you are familiar with this area, but I am. It is a horseback elk hunt. Period.

I ignorantly went elk “hunting” from my pickup from lake abundance some years back. Wouldn’t recommend 😂

MtGomer

WKR
I ignorantly went elk “hunting” from my pickup from lake abundance some years back. Wouldn’t recommend 😂
I think a guy could probably dig one up and kill it from there. Getting it out on his back before his legs fell off, the meat spoiled or the g bear got it, well, that’s another story.