Be honest with me, Is this a dumb idea?

I am gonna try for a unlimited ram one of the next couple years as well, from what it looks like odds of drawing a tag anywhere is slim and a outfitter up north is too pricey! I'd probably go just for sheep so only one thing to focus on.

I think I am just going to have to man up and do a sheep hunt. Or maybe I should call it a backcountry camping trip with a sheep tag.
Nothing wrong with backcountry wandering with a camera. I've 'hunted' the Missouri Breaks which as a Non Resi would be near impossible, but I was in close and personal on a couple of nice rams. Next year it will be Deserts in Arroyo Grande when we go for holidays
If the adventure is really in the trip instead of the kill, getting out there without a rifle is just as enjoyable. ymmv

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's a great idea and wanna go with you!

I brought up the unlimited hunt with a few of my buddies and they just kinda blew it off as too hard and low success. But hey there is always a chance and Alaska ain't gunna happen for me while I'm still young enough to enjoy it. Camping trip with a sheep tag sounds good to me

Your buddies are correct!!!!!!

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
I know this isn't 'smart' financial advice, but have you considered getting a loan now for a sheep hunt and then paying it off over a period of time. It would satisfy your 'sheep itch' sooner than later.

You should have just stopped after your first 7 words. If you can't pay cash for a hunt you can't afford it.

The economy is doing really good. Once the economy cools down the inflation of the hunts will slow down also.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
I am gonna try for a unlimited ram one of the next couple years as well, from what it looks like odds of drawing a tag anywhere is slim and a outfitter up north is too pricey! I'd probably go just for sheep so only one thing to focus on.

Probably wise. If you were to kill an elk in the UL units you would be done hunting sheep for at least 2-3 days while dealing with an elk. I would think your hunt would most likely be over at that point. Guys that really focus on killing a ram in the UL units have a small chance of killing one. Those that aren't super focused and "all in" have zero chance of killing a ram.