Be Safe when Eating Bear Meat!!!!!!!!

aggieland

WKR
I did a CAT Scan on a fella the other day infested with trichinosis from eating pork that was under cooked. Guy was eat up with the larva and had huge holes in his brain where the larva were eating away. Not to mention the other parts of his body.. I hear almost all bears carry the Parasite and If you eat the meat under cooked you can easily get the parasite.. Very bad stuff, be safe out there.

Edit.. 98% of Trichinosis cases are from people eating Black bear meat.. Thats crazy considering how very few people have auctually tried bear meat..

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
I think if you research how to cook the meat etc it would be safe. But just wanted to help keep people informed and safe, would hate to see someone feed it to their kids undercooked or themselves.

shanevg

WKR
Trichinosis is no reason to not eat black bear. I eat bear meat more than any other kind of meat and my wife and I both love it! All you need to do is be sure you cook the meat to at lead 165 degrees farenheit. Never, ever, ever eat undercooked bear meat! I tend to make all of mine into sausage or hamburger, and the burger is easy to make sure it is cooked all the way through. One difference between pork and bear is that in pork if you freeze the meat for more than 3 months it will kill the trichinosis. On bears, that is not enough to kill the trichinosis (not sure why) so you simply need to be sure you cook to 165 degrees minimum.

Don't go wasting your bear meat just because you are afraid of trichinosis. Just be sure when you cook it to cook it all the way through and you are good to go. Go buy a meat thermometer and eat some great meat!

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Very good info Shanevg, I have read where pork in the U.S "Store Bought" is pretty much safe from Trichinosis but not sure about wild hogs.. The people that we usually see with this problem here in TX is Hispanic people that migrated over here from Mexico.

Ralph

FNG
GOOD INFORMATION!!!! COOK ALL WILD GAME THOROUGHLY!! Make sure that camp stoves, if eating fresh kill, get the meat up to appropriate temperatures. I know this can be a problem. The only rare meat I eat is my home raised beef.

shanevg

WKR
Very good info Shanevg, I have read where pork in the U.S "Store Bought" is pretty much safe from Trichinosis but not sure about wild hogs.. The people that we usually see with this problem here in TX is Hispanic people that migrated over here from Mexico.

The reason store bought pork is safe to eat is because it has all been frozen for at least 3 months before it gets to the store which kills the trichinosis in pork.

When I killed my bear on Prince of Whales last June I did not have to haul any meat out. After June 1 Alaska does not require the meat to be packed out. While skinning it it actually had a fishy smell to it. That doesnt surprise me because they are coastal bears.
Great info on the proper cooking temps for bear for future references.

shanevg

WKR
It always runs me the wrong way when Fish and Game agencies don't require people to take meat from an animal. I've never tried salmon or seafood fed bear so I can't speak to how they taste but it still seems wasteful to not take the meat. I feel that as responsible and ethical hunters it is important to utilize the game we kill including their meat. I certainly don't hunt just for the trophy if a nice hide or a great set of antlers.

I understand that hunting is used as a management tool, especially on predators and I certainly dot judge anyone for hunting within the law, but the law still just rubs me the wrong way. Especially on an animal like a bear where the meat is so good.

Has anyone ever shot a "seafood" bear and kept the meat? Were you able to mask the seafood taste by turning it into sausage or anything?

GOOD INFORMATION!!!! COOK ALL WILD GAME THOROUGHLY!! Make sure that camp stoves, if eating fresh kill, get the meat up to appropriate temperatures. I know this can be a problem. The only rare meat I eat is my home raised beef.

does what the OP posted apply to members of the deer family as well? i routinely eat my venison medium rare to medium well. somewhere in between. whether elk or deer.

shanevg

WKR
Herbivores like deer do not carry trichinosis like bears do. Although it is always a good idea to cook your meat all the way through, it is not as vital with deer as with bear as trichinosis is a particularly nasty problem that you will not get from deer.

I have to agree with shanevg completely!!! If I am going to kill an animal I am going to put the entire animal to use (that I can). That's why I hunt and I believe that we owe that much to each animal we harvest. Regardless if its not required by Game and Fish, DNR, Parks and Wildlife ( whatever your state agency prefers to call themselves ) its the ethical and proper thing to do. If you aren't going to utilize the meat donate it to a local soup kitchen, food bank, anything to help some less fortunate. That's why I pick up my spare doe tags in KS when I go. So that I can sign them over to a buddy and his family so that they can save money on meat for the year while I help control herd populations in my area.

And thanks for the info on proper cooking temps for bear meat guys!!! I have never hunted bear but was looking at picking up a tag this year because I saw so many good ones this year deer hunting in the high country.

Antler

FNG
Trichinosis is no reason to not eat black bear. I eat bear meat more than any other kind of meat and my wife and I both love it! All you need to do is be sure you cook the meat to at lead 165 degrees farenheit. Never, ever, ever eat undercooked bear meat! I tend to make all of mine into sausage or hamburger, and the burger is easy to make sure it is cooked all the way through. One difference between pork and bear is that in pork if you freeze the meat for more than 3 months it will kill the trichinosis. On bears, that is not enough to kill the trichinosis (not sure why) so you simply need to be sure you cook to 165 degrees minimum.

Don't go wasting your bear meat just because you are afraid of trichinosis. Just be sure when you cook it to cook it all the way through and you are good to go. Go buy a meat thermometer and eat some great meat!

True statement, I have been eating bear meat for years. I do roasts, sausages, burger, I can some of it.
If you don't eat it, bring it to me....I will.

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
Extremely good info! I’m glad I read this. This should be a sticky (one of those posts that stay at the top of the list)

JSonn

FNG
I agree with shanevg, bear meat is mighty tastey and it was a dietery staple for me and my dog. Buy a digital food thermometer and be certain it's cooked to proper doneness. I hate to think hunters leaving bear meat behind out of fear of the Trichina worm.