Be The Decoy - Hat and Shirt? Or Just Hat

TX_Diver

WKR
I drew an archery tag for a pretty good NM unit this year and have been toying with trying out a "Be The Decoy" hat.

For anyone who's used it, did you use the shirt as well or just the hat?

If anyone has bought one of the Blem's I'd be interested in your experience there as well.

Cheers.

Link for anyone who's not sure what I'm talking about. https://shop.bethedecoy.com/main.sc

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
I hear that's what you have your wife wear on hunt if you don't like her.

Never used one, I've decoyed antelope with cutout stuff so I'm sure 3'd type would work.
Good luck with your hunt

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I hear that's what you have your wife wear on hunt if you don't like her.

Never used one, I've decoyed antelope with cutout stuff so I'm sure 3'd type would work.
Good luck with your hunt

LOL. If I start putting in for rifle tags again then she could worry I guess. I considered making a cutout but am going to have to travel quite a bit to get there and would rather not deal with one while travelling. The hat seems easy to wear around a bit. Supposed to be a good area so hopefully I get the chance to try a few different things until I find something that works...

KHNC

WKR
I have used the hat, and the shirt at same time. Got to full draw a couple of times in CO before does busted me. Absolutely would have killed the buck had it been with a few less does on both occasions. Hard to draw with critters all around. Crossbow would have been a done deal. they are very curious and will definitely close in to view the stupid hat. Also wore it to a bar on Halloween once.

Gumbo

WKR
Maybe I'm too vain, but I can't even imagine bringing myself to put one of those things on my head and trying to hunt. And I really don't think that the shirt will add any "realism" to the hat.

On a side note, my friend sewed up a plush antelope hat to try a couple years before these hit the market. Then I saw the "Be the Decoy" truck cruising around Bozeman. I knew he had snoozed on a million dollar idea but I got a big laugh out of it, and seeing him wearing that hat.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Maybe I'm too vain, but I can't even imagine bringing myself to put one of those things on my head and trying to hunt. And I really don't think that the shirt will add any "realism" to the hat.

On a side note, my friend sewed up a plush antelope hat to try a couple years before these hit the market. Then I saw the "Be the Decoy" truck cruising around Bozeman. I knew he had snoozed on a million dollar idea but I got a big laugh out of it, and seeing him wearing that hat.

I'm not vain haha. And I'm probably hunting alone anyways.

If it's stupid and it works then I won't complain haha. I'm not sure how much the shirt would help either honestly is why I'm asking. I guess it's cheaper than most of my other hunting shirts though so maybe I'll try it one day and another day without it and report back for science haha.

Gumbo

WKR
I'm not vain haha. And I'm probably hunting alone anyways.

If it's stupid and it works then I won't complain haha. I'm not sure how much the shirt would help either honestly is why I'm asking. I guess it's cheaper than most of my other hunting shirts though so maybe I'll try it one day and another day without it and report back for science haha.

I guess it is way better to be successful than look cool. I should just remember I've never been accused of being cool anyways. I hope a big buck comes running your way...and that you aren't wearing a doe hat.

jolemons

WKR
Ive tried the full outfit with limited success. Never had them get closer than about 100 yrds before leaving. I did use before the rut was in full swing, so that may have made a difference.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’ve used them both together in limited units with awesome success. NM northwest cluster of units included.
OTC or easy draw units in other states with very marginal success.
If you use it in rut, it’s kind of unbelievable that the bucks will come in if you try to challenge and “take their bitches”.
Happy to say I’ve harvested a couple bucks and never sat in a blind

Rich M

WKR
What about those decoys that strap to your bow and you shoot thru the neck area? Ultimate Predator.

Gumbo

WKR
Gumbo's concern is the same one I have. Have you used em before? Had much luck?

Not sure if you are asking me, but no, I've never used one. I have used the Montana Decoy which is similar in design and it wants to take flight in even a moderate breeze. But I rarely use decoys of any type, I've had way better luck just spotting and stalking.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Negative. I'm more of a gun hunter.

You definitely won't catch me in that hat during gun season!!!

Think I'm going to pull the trigger and give it a try. Maybe order one of the blems to save a few $.

Flanagin

FNG
I am going to piggy back on a couple of
I drew an archery tag for a pretty good NM unit this year and have been toying with trying out a "Be The Decoy" hat.

For anyone who's used it, did you use the shirt as well or just the hat?

If anyone has bought one of the Blem's I'd be interested in your experience there as well.

Cheers.

Link for anyone who's not sure what I'm talking about. https://shop.bethedecoy.com/main.sc

A friend of mine used one last year, the hat and shirt both. He was able to get on a couple of bucks in one afternoon and got a shot off at 45 yards. It was also during the rut too, I say give it a try!

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Hat and shirt showed up last week. Looks pretty well made and should stay on alright once I figure out where I want to put the little foam blocks to size it to my head.

Will probably shoot with it on a bit over the next few weeks. If I have any thoughts then I'll update this thread, otherwise I'll report back after my August hunt with my opinion.

It also looks like a great halloween costume if anyone is into that.