Bead blast or cerakote identification

I just picked up my rifle from the smith for a rebarrel job. I had him bead blast the barrel so it would match my Tikka action.

After getting home and looking at it in better light, I'm wondering if it's actually cerakoted. I think it was rubbing on something on my way home too, because now there is a mark where it appears to be rubbed off. I can also see very light turn marks.

A. It doesn't look bead blasted
B. Bead blasting rubbing off??
C. Seeing turn marks under the bead blasting?
D. It's nowhere close to matching color of my action

Thoughts? Is there any kind of bead blasting that would allow these things?

Attachments

• IMG_20210513_183452994.jpg
    IMG_20210513_183452994.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 72

smith406

FNG
A: That looks like a bead blast finish to me.

B: Bead blasting creates little pores that give the matte finish. They’re pretty easy to polish out.

C: 🤷‍♂️Whose barrel?
D: 🤷‍♂️ Different steel/different media
I assume from this post your not happy with the results and that sucks! But it asks a lot of questions of what was promised and what was delivered.

OP
H
A: That looks like a bead blast finish to me.

B: Bead blasting creates little pores that give the matte finish. They’re pretty easy to polish out.

C: 🤷‍♂️Whose barrel?
D: 🤷‍♂️ Different steel/different media
I assume from this post your not happy with the results and that sucks! But it asks a lot of questions of what was promised and what was delivered.

Yea. I know there's different bb finishes, but I thought they were all very durable and that the color wouldn't vary so much.

I'm upset about a bit I guess. He blueprinted the whole action too, even though I didn't ask for it. He turned the bolt, even though I didn't ask for it, which causes it to bind more than before with lateral pressure when cycling, and I just don't like the look of it. The cartridge name is printed on rather than stamped, which bled a bit when I cleaned it with hopped. He opened the barrel channel in the stock to match the contour, which I told him to do, but the bit of my awesome bedding job that had to be cut out where it was under the first inch or so of the old barrel looks like a blind person removed it, and the front of my recoil lug which is perfectly bedded into my stock, by me, is now marred up.

And now my stock is cracked behind both action bolts, just barely, but still. I'm sure he didn't do that. That was probably because I had it torqued to 65, but I bedded metal pillars into the bedding and it's a laminate stock, so that shouldn't have happened. It was only a .30-06 recoiling. So that is just the icing on the cake.

So now I have to see if Boyd's will send a new stock and if not then just use my ole factory plastic.

Hope it shoots good!!

Oh yea... It's a mullerworks barrel 😃

Wrench

WKR
You have a stainless barrel that was blasted with 320ish sized glass. The color is 100% dependent on the base material, the texture is based on the media size.

The shiny spot is 100% from rubbing on something....if it wasn't there when you took possession, then at some point you let it rub on something at least as hard or abrasive as the barrel steel.

I'm not sure what you mean on the barrel marking. If you mean a black "shadow" etching vs a deep etch or new Hermes type marking, I imagine the smith tried to Chemical etch and didn't get it to take. I JUST went through this with a proof and it was a PITA. The etching just left a shadow, but when I apply the same exact setup on a piece of brux tube... it works well. I ended up going new Hermes on that tube because I was afraid to cook on it anymore.

The action work is not something that should happen with the exception of possible facing it if it pulled a burr when the tube was pulled, or if he had to part the old tube off....both are not super common, but very possible. There's no reason to cut the bolt.... unless he touched the face and wanted to keep your headspace/ tenon at the factory length.....it could come off the lugs just as easy, or just let you know that a prefit won't index on your action.

The bedding, if it was pillar bedded.....he didn't bust it. He might have unleashed the beavers on the channel, but cracking a stock from compression through pillars simply isn't gonna happen.

I bet if you gave him the $100 more to bed it back in to the new contour that it would look awesome.....but I bet it still shoots well.