Beam scale and actual performance

JjamesIII

WKR
I’ve got my set up for powder throwing. It’s a tuned rcbs charge master throwing the initial charge. I then check it one of two ways, electronic scale (gem pro) or rcbs beam scale. I would never trust the charge master as a stand alone unit for any accuracy loads, ar-15 mag dump ammo-sure.

That being said, the beam scale is mind numbingly slow, but the gem pro digital can often have issues, despite being capable of .02 degree of accuracy - which is one kernel of powder……when it’s not being finicky.

I might be crazy, but it seams like I can also get that degree of accuracy in the beam scale, despite its claimed accuracy of only 1/10th of a grain.

These days most “serious” reloaders seem to be all be converts to the higher end digital scales with .02 accuracy. In real world down range performance, do these scales actually increase the quality of your loads? I know they are faster obviously, but can an old school beam scale perform as well? I think they are comparable, but I would like others opinions before I start throwing money into a more reliable electronic scale that holds a zero better than the p.o.s. I’m using now.

Any type of scale will have tolerances in my opinion, been re-loading close to 40 years and weigh every charge on a beam scale. (never really trusted the electronic type stuff ) I am of the belief that building a precision load is not supposed to be a mass produced go as quick as you can type of deal. Old school methods worked for years and still continue to work at least for me.

I have used an O'haus beam scale that my father gave me 30 years ago. In the last year I picked up an electronic scale. O'haus: Magnetic damping, agate bearings, very consistent when talking gravity versus electronics. A balance scale is not terribly slow, once you develop the rhythm and system, it is very easy to load at a good rate. But I do trust a consistent balance point and gravity more so than electronics in all honesty.

Regardless of electronic or beam scale, in my experience when talking rifle cases like a .270, '06 and on up to the 300 Win Mag capacity, a tenth of a grain either way is a moot point. Seating primers consistently, consistent primer pocket depth, brass from the same lot that is similar in weight, consistent case length and consistent bullet seating depth when combined produce the best results.

However chasing a tenth, much less a few hundredth's (!) of a gr of powder either way is chasing frogs hair for me. And I doubt I can hold and shoot closer in a hunting weight rifle in the field than the half inch or three-quarter inches I get at the range. Minute of deer and minute of elk out to a very long ways.

Last edited:
OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
Great point on a couple of kernels of powder in a 300 wsm surely I can’t shoot the difference. It’s my nature to get caught up in the minutiae when reloading bullets or making arrows. I need to leave well enough alone.

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
While beam scales might have graduations that stop at .1 increments, if you're patient and look, it's pretty easy to get that down to +/- .05 or less. It's all about reading the space in between the lines, and comes with experience

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
When I shot competitively I used a tuned CM. Most guys did as well. I'd double check a few loads during the process on a tuned RCBS beam scale. Some guys would use high end scales, cut kernels in half, etc. I could never shoot tight enough to tell a difference between a few grains and the CM was good for single digit ES, so more than adequate for my ability.

EdP

WKR
I'd love to go to an electronic scale but just don't trust them, so it's a beam scale for me (RCBS). I think technique matters, especially with magnetic damping. I throw my charges slightly under weight and then trickle up to the desired charge. The difference a kernal or two makes is obvious on the scale so I am pretty confident in my charge weights.

Wrench

WKR
If you start with a quality powder throw and quality beam scale....speed can be in favor of the beam. If you cheap out on either of the above.....frustration is in your future.

My redding scale has .1 grain increments on the beam and .05 on the reference line.

Rich M

WKR
My electric scale wanders up to .1-.2 grns. The beam works good when verifying powder dispenser volumes.

Fire_9

WKR
What has made you not trust the chargemaster? I hear this all the time but have yet to hear anyone give an actual reason as to why…

And who is going to shoot the difference between a .1-.2 grain difference in loads anyways? Put your chargemaster on a stable platform, calibrate/verify it before each session, and run it. Spot check occasionally if you’re really worried about it but until your down range results say that you have a problem somewhere, I wouldn't sweat it

Last edited:
OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
What has made you not trust the chargemaster? I hear this all the time but have yet to hear anyone give an actual reason as to why…

And who is going to shoot the difference between a .1-.2 grain difference in loads anyways? Put your chargemaster on a stable platform, calibrate/verify it before each session, and run it. Spot check occasionally if you’re really worried about it but until your down range results say that you have a problem somewhere, I wouldn't sweat it
I’ve checked the chargemaster- it’s is often off. I check with both beam and another more precise (but temperamental) electric scale. Say the charge master throws 20.5 grains, it will often be 20.2, or upwards of 20.7 grains. Then the occasional over charge- when it actually acknowledges it, like over a grain beyond the desired charge.
I use it to throw light, then I will trickle to the desired weight, which is tedious and negates most of the charge masters utility.

Reactions: wyo

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
When you are testing the accuracy of the different scales are you using actual check weights, or just seeing that they weigh differently from each other?

Reactions: dla
OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
When you are testing the accuracy of the different scales are you using actual check weights, or just seeing that they weigh differently from each other?
Check weights- I use them to initially calibrate the scales, and then periodically throughout the reloading session. That’s the only way to establish a baseline.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use a Chargemaster and love it. I’ve never had the need to throw low and trickle up. That would negate the benefit of having a Chargemaster for me. It’s way faster and more consistent than the beam scales I’ve used.

OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
I use a Chargemaster and love it. I’ve never had the need to throw low and trickle up. That would negate the benefit of having a Chargemaster for me. It’s way faster and more consistent than the beam scales I’ve used.
What are your acceptable weight tolerances? My unit is probably only going to give me +\- .2 if I just let it go unchecked. Having one round charged 25.2 and the next weighing 24.8 when my desired weight is 25.0 would bother me. I’ve not gone to the range to actually measure the sd of loads with that kind of

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My chargemaster has always kept me within a 15 ES so I do not even check it anymore. Let it warm up, calibrate it every time, and I am good to go. With that being said it took me almost a year before I stopped checking it so it had to gain my trust before I got to this point. It is slow as molasses which drives me nuts when I am trying to hammer out 3-400 rounds the night before we leave for a match but that is the nature of the game!

N2TRKYS

WKR
What are your acceptable weight tolerances? My unit is probably only going to give me +\- .2 if I just let it go unchecked. Having one round charged 25.2 and the next weighing 24.8 when my desired weight is 25.0 would bother me. I’ve not gone to the range to actually measure the sd of loads with that kind of

Lol. If one or two sticks of powder makes a difference to you, then have fun with that. I’m getting moa at worst and sd in the teens to twenties at worst. Plenty good for me to hunt with.

I definitely ain’t going back to a dang beam scale.

Geewhiz

WKR
Maybe I'm just an amature but I use a chargemaster and only a chargemaster and my loads shoot sub moa to a grand. Good enough for me

OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
I get it, 1 moa is good for hunting reasonable ranges. I’m stretching these out for steel at longer ranges. Not bench rest by any means, but 1/2 moa is where my happy place is on everything but the 450 bushmaster gas gun in the safe.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I get it, 1 moa is good for hunting reasonable ranges. I’m stretching these out for steel at longer ranges. Not bench rest by any means, but 1/2 moa is where my happy place is on everything but the 450 bushmaster gas gun in the safe.

If you’re seeing that big of swings with that little of powder change, then you may be in a short node or your rifle don’t like that powder.