Beam Scales

What is the best beam scale these days? I was thinking of getting a electronic.

I have a old green Redding #1 with a black bolt and no magnet.

Last edited:

desertcj

WKR
I doubt it's "The best" but all I've used for years is the RCBS 505 that came with the package deal. I think it's really accurate but man it's slow. I'm going to get an RCBS chargemaster...

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
Used a redding beam for years, it would drive me nuts that if you bumped the pan it would read a slightly different value as in the other side of a tic mark. I have a RCBS chargemaster now, I love it it's so much faster.

OP
I have a Lee Powder Measure that I use and then I trickle to a Redding #1 beam with no magnets. I have to use my fingers to calm it down for a quick reading. The scale is very accurate, it's just annoying that I need to use my two fingers to settle it down.

I just ordered a #2, we'll see if I like it...

OP
Got the Redding #2 today and it's accurate and settles down quickly. Much better than the old #1 without the magnetic dampener. :)

Kindigs

FNG
I doubt it's "The best" but all I've used for years is the RCBS 505 that came with the package deal. I think it's really accurate but man it's slow. I'm going to get an RCBS chargemaster...
Same here but I see RCBS just came out with the Matchmaster. Going to have to check that one out.

everyone wants to load fast, Fast, FAST...… I still use my original 10/10 that Scott Parker trued and it still produces very good ammo for me ….

Because reloading has to be one of the most terrible mind numbing boring tasks ever.
I absolutely hate it.
Just a necessary evil means to an end.

dguns18

FNG
Been using a RCBS 505 for a few years with excellent results.

Use a Lee powder drop and trickle into the pan, once you get a groove going it moves pretty quick.

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Lyman 5-10 made by Ohaus and tuned by Scott Parker. It’s the predecessor to the 10-10, which I also have. Both read true and never lie. I started by using a digital Hornady scale and was pulling my hair out as I lifted the pan of powder and set it back on the scale only to have it read a different number. I will never use a digital scale again.

Mr.Crumbz

FNG

I started off with the Lee scale, upgraded to the 505 and it’s been fantastic. I would recommend the 505 to anyone. Having said that I also bought a ChargeMaster Lite off of Amazon when they had a great sale on them really ups my game and by time I am charge a case, seat, crimp and inspect the next charge is thrown and ready to go.

The 505 and ChargeMaster are bang on with each other with anything I have weighed. I still use the 505 to triple check things as electronics can fail, and if it is a one off quick check it’s faster than firing up the electronic scale, allowing it to warm up and calibrating it.

deadi

Lil-Rokslider
505 and a Dillon. Just buy a packet of the weight checking pieces and use them occasionally.

I run two Ohaus scales that have treated me very well over the years. Not the fastest, but I don't shoot PRS matches either.

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Franklin Arsenal electronic scale but I check it about every 10 loads or so against my Dillon beam scale. Sometimes I‘ll check the Franklin every 5-7 loads if I’m doing load development and I need to be very accurate.

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
Best as far as I know is the Prometheus. But it’s a bit more than just a beam scale and I know very few willing to drop the coin on one. Personally when it comes to a beam scale I still use a 5-0-5 but generally just rely on a couple of chargemeasters. https://www.prometheustoolcorp.com/

Wrench

WKR
I have a 10-10, Redding and two 505's. If I'm loading for production with expectations of. 01 grs accuracy I'll go 10-10. If I'm loading production with .1 gr accuracy I'll run both 505's at the same time. I can throw one while the other is settling down. I have a few powder throws and the early rcbs that I bought in 94 is able to throw the longest kernels within .3--.5 grs every time.

When you see an electronic scale malfunction it's either because you are suspicious or its blatant. A bit of research will show that light ballasts, phone magnetics and other things can influence accuracy.

A beam scale depends on gravity. When was the last time gravity quit working?

I use a 10-10 and used a 5-0-5 for years before that. Both quality scales. I have a chargemaster that I use for prairie dog loads or other high volume loading that has really impressed me. I always worried about the accuracy of an electronic scale for some reason, that proved to be unfounded. I wouldn't set it up if loading 20 rounds or less. If loading a lot of rounds it is pretty accurate and slick.