Bear bags in sheep country

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted in bear country a lot during elk hunts but not during sheep hunts. Where we are going there is a good chunk of Grizz in the area. I have never sheep hunted before, so looking for some advice.

We plan on staying up high, above tree line to camp (weather dependent) How much bear activity would you expect that high up and what do you do for your food bags if there isn't tons of trees around? drop down to the trees to hang it up?

Our sheep hunt is in Alberta.

Thanks for the advice

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
My situation is a bit different living in SE AK. Right now the bears are down low eating salmon, but if it wasn't for the fish runs it would not be unusuall to run into them up high. We use bear canisters.(yes they are heavy) Just be sure to put them someplace within a hole or under a rock etc or they will be playing plinko with it all the way down the mountain.

madcalfe

WKR
i just got back from a 11 day sheep hunt in the spatsizi and saw grizz tracks and droppings on one of the ridges at 6000ft so there up there. i usually keep all my food in a dry bag and clip it to a tree branch maybe 10 yards from the tent or keep it under the vestibule. without your food your hunts over.... game meat on the other hand always gets hung as far from the tent in sight or stached in contractor bags in a creek.

It was a funny feeling going from MT where food storage laws are pretty specific and I never eat near my tent to AK where I kept my sheep horns and meat near my tent intentionally. :LOL:

Stid2677

WKR
My experience is that sheep country is bear country, we have killed bears or could have on almost every sheep hunt I have been on. I have had bears all around my camps and never had a bear fool with backpack food. Now game meat is another matter, have had to kill one bear that would not leave my meat alone, "tag in hand" urine seems to be very effective at keeping them off meat cache. When I leave meat I piss in a bottle and leave that near the cache. Ground squirrels, Porkies and other critters, now have chewed up my food more times than I can count.

wZ5yDYEh.jpg

Definitely keep everything away from camp and strung up or in a bear safe food cache. Just got back from a bighorn hunt and ran into 4 grizz where we have never seen them before. They came up to 7000 ft.

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the tips and advice guys. Appreciate it.