Bear bags?

kordo

FNG
Hey guys, doing the final prep before I head out on my first MT bear hunting trip and trying to cut down on some weight. I'm wondering if it's worth packing bear bags because I'm already planning on hanging my pack. I pack hunt with my rucksack, so it spends most of the year hauling leaky MRE trash, usually I don't worry about it much, but I also usually don't hunt where there are grizzlies.
Does anyone else just hang their pack, or have a reason why this is a bad idea?

22lr

WKR
I would 100% just hang your pack, far enough away from the tent to be safe. A good pack wash can help, but hanging your pack up high is better protection from bears than anything else. Just also tie the rope off up high/hidden/protected, bears will cut your rope if they can (I've been on hunts and seen Grizzlies snag a free blacktail because they just cut the rope).

Elkhntr08

WKR
Hang everything you don’t want eaten.
Had a buddy come out from a evening sit in Minnesota only to find his atv seat eaten off. Bears, they’re not all BooBoo.

I don’t hang my whole pack but I’m also very careful to keep it clean. I do hang all food/stuff that could smell food like in a bag. I don’t use a bear bag, just a silnylon stuff sack. All of my food and garbage are kept in 1 gallon ziplock bags in the dedicated stuff sack. I’ve been considering buying a bear bag but damned if they aren’t heavy.