Bear Baiting Lawsuit

cmahoney

WKR
Once you guys get enough liberals in Idaho, wild granola or whatever organization will put it on the ballot just like they have done in CA and CO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted bears in WI over bait and considering the thick forest terrain and large amounts of private land in bear country, I don't know how they could manage them without bait. They run dogs in areas with large blocks of public forest, but that won't be tolerated in farm areas ( plus they start with bait). That said, the lawsuit is really just attack on hunting rights, so I doubt the plaintiff cares about bear management anyway.

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
This is a never ending argument. Just like the radical gay movement and environmentalists, they will not stop until rational and "normal" people bow to their wishes. The most sensible answer to tis given the number of grizzlies shot is to regulate the baiting in that specific area. Of course, this takes common sense. I'm afraid our entire culture has been permeated with nonsensical, reprobate thinking that is gradually making its way into outdoor recreation.

I just finished reading an article in the Boise Statesman that gave info on a lawsuit. The suit is being brought by WildEarth Guardians and the Western Watershed Project to challenge the legality of bear baiting in Idaho and Wyoming in relationship to the Endangered Species Act, more specifically.....Grizzly bears. They allege a lot of things in the letter of intent to sue, mainly that baiting black bears is unethical and is adversely affecting "endangered" Grizzlies. As an avid bear hunter, and occasional bear baiter, I'd really hate to see baiting banned. I prefer spot and stalk, however baiting is an effective management tool that these 2 states rely on to knock back growing bear populations. Interactions with grizzlies at bait sites have been minimal thus far, and certain portions of Idaho are not allowed to be baited due to high grizzly populations. What are everyone's thoughts on this? Let's keep it civil please, I truly understand that lots of us have different views on baiting ethics and I will stay neutral for the purpose of the discussion.

any news on this?

OP
B
I haven't checked in a few weeks. I have spoken with IDF&G several times, they feel that if the grizzlies get de-listed that it'll be a non-issue. They are going to try to keep it out of liberal courts as well, hopefully federal court in Pocatello, ID or Cheyenne,Wy. I'm not sure how much the defendant can control that though.