Bear baiting question

gsimmons2

FNG
Heading back to Idaho this spring. It’ll be my second spring bear hunt, had some close calls on spot and stalk last year but thought about trying my hand at throwing some bait out. I know where I’m going there are bears, and also people baiting bears. My question is how long does it normally take for them to hit the bait during the daytime. I live quite a ways away so not an option to set it beforehand but I will be there for 14 days.

If there are bears around and you understand that wind and thermals are what carries your bear baits scent around, and how to use them, 14 days is plenty IMO. Good Luck!

Do a honey burn, can of sterno, empty # 10 can and a quart of honey, put the honey in the #10 can set the can over a lit can of sterno and let it go.

N.ID7803

WKR
Try to be consistent when you bait. Dont bait just before dark, try morning or mid-morning. Either way just try to be consistent. Also try not putting a ton of bait out, you want them to come when you bait, not whenever they want (large bait pile).

14 days, there is nothing to be consistent about. I’m thinking on average if his bait gets hit, he’ll have a few days to hunt it. Used to bait in AK on a bear infested island and on a 10 day hunt we’d normally get 3 sits in. I started going for two weeks and even then it can get skinny.

Throw a bait out, go glass and see what happens.

Forks

FNG
I put out a 5g bucket of Barnyard Buffett and have them come in within 24hrs. To be clear....I put this out for dear/elk but the Oprah's seem to come in for some reason.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veron16