Bear defense rifle for AK trip

mcseal2

WKR
I’m looking at doing a fishing trip in Alaska in the future. I’m thinking of flying in on a bush plane and renting a raft to float and fish from. I have been to AK twice hunting for moose and caribou and can’t get enough of it. I think it would be fun to do a trip just fishing, camping, and enjoying Alaska without being so focused on hunting. Mainly its an excuse to get to Alaska again between hunts.

Since I will be trying to relax, I’ll sleep better having a long gun in camp in case of bear issues. I’ll have a 10mm I’ll carry but will probably also have one long gun for the group.

I’m interested in getting advice on the 2 options I’m considering. I’m maybe putting to much emphasis on something pretty short, reasonably light, and handy.

I own a Ruger scout rifle with an XS sight rail and a 1-6x regular scope. Its mounted back like most hunting rifles, not forward like the scout design. It also has irons I zeroed before mounting the scope so I could remove the scope and use it that way.

My other idea is that I have a Winchester 44 lever action that’s been in the safe for years untouched. I might sell it for a newer Marlin 1894SBL stainless 44. It would weigh about the same as the Ruger but be a little shorter overall. I kinda want one anyway as a handy gun to haul around home. A 45-70 would probably be better for Alaska, but would be heavier and not as handy around home. 44 is plenty for anything around here, 357 really is too.

Any advice if I should take one or the other, or just take the handgun?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Do you own an M4?

Load a short barrel M4 set up for fighting with 77TMKs, learn how to use it and sleep and fish easy.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think I would worry about a rifle with a 10mm pistol, as long as you trust your life with it. The rifle would just add more weight, and take up more room.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I do have an AR set up for home defense and close range coyote calling. I personally have seen to many coyotes run a bit after a hit to be comfortable with it. I have run 73gr match bullets and they don’t always exit a broadside coyote. I want more penetration than that.

The rifle is probably unnecessary and overthinking it. I practice a bunch with my 10mm’s especially before my caribou hunt. I can shoot them, but I still shoot a rifle better especially under stress.

Best idea is probably to convince my buddy that doesn’t have a big revolver or 10mm to bring a rifle. That way it comes out of his weight allowance and he has to carry it.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I have a 21” 870 with an extended tube I use predator hunting. It would fit the bill with the right choke. Its a little heavy but would be effective.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The 44 with Garrett Cartridges +P 330 gr Hammerhead hardcasts would be my choice out of what you listed.

If buying a new lever gun I would go with a 45-70 personally and load it with Garret Hammerheads. But if buying a long gun (and not restricted to lever actions) for bear defense I would go with a bolt action in 375 or larger with iron sights.

As I don't have the luxury of multiple rifles, my 30-06 bolt action is the long gun I carry. Though for just incase I leave the rifle at home and carry a 454, or if in the mountains my wife's 44 mag to save some weight.

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
I was gonna suggest a 12 gauge pump if you have one. Looks like you do.

Brenneke "green" slugs are the ones to use. Hard cast and relatively fast. Nearly all of the problem bears, black and brown, that are killed by State wildlife & fish guys are by 12 gauge Brenneke green slugs from a Remington pump (Wingmasters or my preference the Marine Magnum). The old style Foster slugs have killed a bunch too but they flatten out and don't penetrate nearly as well.

On my own time, if I carry a long gun just for protection its a Marlin in 45-70. But I feel very confident with the 12 gauge, and have shooshed a few off with it.

Jardo

WKR
forget pistols, ars, and such. if your in a fight with a bear you want a short shotgun with buckshot and/or slugs. my advice is a riot gun with 2 rounds of 00 buckshot followed by a few rounds of slugs.

for close range combat... nothing is comparable. take it from someone who has been in this situation and has a lot of training in this area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks very much everyone.

I don’t know much about slugs, I have never needed them before.

My 870 barrel is actually 20” when I measured it. It has adjustable rifle sights and I have a compact magnetic mount light for it also. When its not coyote hunting with me it’s my wife’s home defense gun. She is much more comfortable with it than any of our handguns. It sounds like it would be about perfect if I zero the sights for the slugs.

It shot really high with the 4 buck I use for coyotes with the factory 21” barrel it had (turkey gun) so I put the adjustable sight barrel on and zeroed it.

For slugs do you do anything to waterproof them? I had heard of some complaints there when researching handguns for bears?

Also what choke for the slugs? The most open I currently have is the factory improved cylinder?

Thanks everyone.

Tod osier

WKR
Thanks very much everyone.

I don’t know much about slugs, I have never needed them before.

My 870 barrel is actually 20” when I measured it. It has adjustable rifle sights and I have a compact magnetic mount light for it also. When its not coyote hunting with me it’s my wife’s home defense gun. She is much more comfortable with it than any of our handguns. It sounds like it would be about perfect if I zero the sights for the slugs.

It shot really high with the 4 buck I use for coyotes with the factory 21” barrel it had (turkey gun) so I put the adjustable sight barrel on and zeroed it.

For slugs do you do anything to waterproof them? I had heard of some complaints there when researching handguns for bears?

Also what choke for the slugs? The most open I currently have is the factory improved cylinder?

Thanks everyone.

I'd try the improved cylinder and I'd start with Brenneke black magics, those are the standard for a 3" dangerous game slug. I carry the Classic Magnums, because I can't get the sights to the point of impact on the Black Magics (they hit to surprisingly different points).

In twenty years of guiding fishing I’m up to three DLP shootings. Two with a shot gun, one was started with handgun and finished with a rifle. Also sprayed three bears last summer.
Average 100 close encounters a summer, no two have ever been the same. I always carry a gun and spray. Ive read enough of your stuff to know you’re Skookum you’ll have this squared away.
my favorites to carry in order 454 .45/70 M4 450 bushmaster, 870
Most of my guides like the 10mm and the “bushy”
Don’t recall ever carrying both rifle and handgun. 90% of the time it’s a handgun.
I run my dogs every morning and every night, about 3 miles. Rare we don’t jump at least one bear. I carry the 45/70 for that work.
I no longer care to debate the effectiveness of buckshot followed by slugs as my data set is small at 2 but arguing with people who Have never seen a bear gets old. Fact remains it’s been used a long time rather effectively.
As you are I’m very comfortable with a rifle and will always be my preferred choice.