Bear defense rifle for AK trip

mtnbob

FNG
True, but with Covid noit much traveling is happening around here. Togiak is currently on total lockdown. I'm glad I'm already in the area!!

I used to live/work at a hatchery in Southeast. Had nearly daily close-quarters interactions with brown bears. Pretty cool critters, when seen from a safe distance. Pretty intimidating up close.

I once saw a teenage brownie stick it's nose on an electric fence, behind which was some very very attractive fish food and smelly stuff. The bear yowled and lit outta there like, well, it hit an electric field.

I'd suggest you pack whatever gun you feel most comfortable shooting. They are incredibly fast animals; if you need to shoot one, you may not have much time and you may be flustered. Debating the performance, penetration, and energy transfer of different calibers and loads is great, but irrelevant if you can't put the bullet where it needs to go under a lot of pressure.

Hope you don't have to use whatever gun you take. Be loud and keep a clean camp. I never encountered a bear that wouldn't leave if given advanced warning and an escape route. Seems like most problems involve bears with food or bears getting surprised.

TheGDog

WKR
Just some FYI.... the Marlin 1894 44 Mag DOES NOT handle lead-free copper loads. It can't stabilize them properly because they have this weirdo 1:38 twist rate. Remington confirmed this to be true and by their own techs and eventually saw their way to sending me a refund of my purchase price, since I explained to them that I can't use the device for the intended purpose I bought it for then, since KommieFornia demands lead-free for hunting. Since you're in AK that's *probably* not an issue for you, since you could instead use a bonded bullet, or a hardcast lead. But just wanted to make sure I shared that info so others don't have to go thru that massive waste of time.

That being said... that 1894 is nice and slim! And a FULL POUND lighter than my 336BL .30-30

For your purpose there? I'd imagine one of their "Dark Series" .45-70's would be awesome. They lop-off the barrels right at that 16.5" federal limit, and the stalks aren't wood so some weight savings there too. The "Trapper" version would also be a good choice if you wanted a stainless model. Because it also had a non-wood stock.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone, lots to think on.

To answer the earlier question I’d be on a river. I like the idea of floating one. I love exploring and fishing rivers.

mtnbob

FNG
For what it is worth, I have had one surprise grizzly bear encounter since being in Alaska, My AR-15 350 Legend stopped it at 100 yards with two well placed shots.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I carry an AR in .450 bushmaster with Underwood ammo when we are are looking for a dead elk or packing out.Before that we carried a 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a Springfield 10mm. Wanted a bit of a break from carrying the 500 big Smith. Will make portability much easier!!!

SwiftShot

WKR
You could go crazy.
Super short AR setup for CC in 450 Bushmaster. Load it up with some HSM Bear Load 450 Bushmaster 300gr JFP Rifle Ammo. Those are Jacketed Flat Points packing 2400 Foot Pounds. That should solve penetration problems. Plus you can dump a 20 round mag in a few Seconds.
If you dont have one, a cheap bushmaster upper runs 300 dollars. Or you could just use the shotgun. The Bushmaster would be more fun and after all there are Cocain Bears.

BLJ

WKR
Question for the AR guys in 450 Bushmaster.
Have you ever had any reliability issues with the heavier loads used for bear defense? Thanks.