Bear defense......

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
Going to be going on my very first elk hunt this year around the Helena, MT area. I have a friend that lives in Helena and hunts out there. Going up into the mountains for 10 days, and into bear country. Since I dont own a sidearm, i was just thinking about picking up a can of bear spray with a holster, and will have my .300 win mag with me. Think that would cover my bases? Thanks for the help!

Cfree76

FNG
If you have a rifle and bear spray I would see no reason to carry a pistol.
But I'm Canadian so I don't care for pistols if I was going to carry extra weight to defend against bears it would be a rifle or shotgun. That being said I have little experience with Brown bears. I have spent a lot of time in areas frequented by Blacks and Whites though. And before the gun rights nuts go crazy I'm not saying not to carry a pistol if you want. But a rifle is a much better tool to bring down a bear and bear spray is a much better tool to chase off a curious bear. If you have those 2 tools a pistol is a little redundant.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
I don't usually carry a pistol or spray during rifle season. If you are going to be hunting together, then I would say you would probably be fine with two rifles and spray. Just look after each other!
Ok, im totally new to this so bare with me. I didnt know if I needed a sidearm as well as a rifle, for quicker target acquisition. Guys who carry a sidearm are mostly bow hunters then?

Ok, im totally new to this so bare with me. I didnt know if I needed a sidearm as well as a rifle, for quicker target acquisition. Guys who carry a sidearm are mostly bow hunters then?

Not necessarily, some guys carry a pistol even when they have a rifle. The thought is if something were to happen and you drop your rifle, you still have a pistol. In my opinion, if I have a rifle that is a better weapon than a pistol and I don't want to carry the extra weight of another gun. A bow is rather slow vs grabbing a pistol if your were to need it. There really isn't a right or wrong answer. It really comes down to If you would be comfortable with a rifle and spray, or would that pistol give you some more peace of mind?....

AKBorn

WKR
Walk yourself through your 10 day hunt...

Where will your rifle be, when you are relaxing in camp? When you're cooking food? When you're taking a crap?

How about if you harvest an animal - where will your rifle be, when you're field dressing the animal?

I've hunted remote Alaska about 12-13 times since 2002...this will be the first year taking a .44 magnum revolver in addition to my .338 Winchester Magnum. Lots of bears the last 5-6 hunts, and I feel that I have gotten a little too comfy around camp cooking, moving around the tents, etc. with my rifle NOT within arm's reach. I'll be wearing the .44 in a chest holster, for all the times I don't have my rifle in hand, and for when we're field dressing an animal if we get lucky. Maybe not necessary, but i want to get out of the too comfy environment I was evolving into...

Been several cases even rifle hunting where a sidearm had to be used ... You can have a .44 or a 10mm on your chest when you are up to your elbows inside an elk when your rifle is leaning against a tree.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

my bear spray popped out of my holster with me not knowing in an area we saw a handful of black bear and a sow grizz with cubs, im glad I still had the 10mm, which in all honesty if something happened would be the first thing I reach for anyways.

S.Clancy

WKR
Going to be going on my very first elk hunt this year around the Helena, MT area. I have a friend that lives in Helena and hunts out there. Going up into the mountains for 10 days, and into bear country. Since I dont own a sidearm, i was just thinking about picking up a can of bear spray with a holster, and will have my .300 win mag with me. Think that would cover my bases? Thanks for the help!

Yes

Wrench

WKR
Given the number one people who live and recreate around bears, I'd just be a hunter and be very aware when you're in a compromising position. Think like a bear when your cleaning your animal....Where's my scent going? That's where I face if possible.

Coming from a guy who took a bear at 10 feet with a pistol....but I walked in on him knowing he was close. I took another with a 375H&H at similar distance and circumstances.

Look ahead, think ahead and don't be ruled by fear....but always be aware, and if you see cubs.....safety off!

hobbes

WKR
How close to Helena are you hunting? We aren't overrun by grizzly here. In fact, it's pretty unlikely that you'll see a grizzly near Helena. With that said, there is potential almost anywhere in MT. I'd carry the spray and call it good.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
How close to Helena are you hunting? We aren't overrun by grizzly here. In fact, it's pretty unlikely that you'll see a grizzly near Helena. With that said, there is potential almost anywhere in MT. I'd carry the spray and call it good.
NW of Helena, dang near on the southern tip of the Bob Marshall

AKDoc

WKR
We all have our personal preferences and mental comfort factors...to each his own on that.

For me, living up here and spending extensive time in the field each and every year in bear country, I always have a gun with me. If I am out on point hunting with my rifle, then my pistol is in the tent. However, around camp and during butchering and hauling meat, my pistol is ALWAYS on me (shoulder holster). Also, the last thing I do as I'm falling asleep at night is do a practice reach for my pistol in the dark and remind myself of the direction of my buddy's tent relative to the inside of my tent.

P.S. Just last year I had to get out of the tent at first light and face off a grizzly at 15 yards...who charged at me and stopped at 8 yards.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the help everyone, i might just have to pony up and buy a pistol, and also carry some spray!
Would make me feel alittle safer knowing i have a pistol on my person the whole time.

Saw a giant blackie by Helena last year as well as talking to people that ran into cats. Sidearm and spray is a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
Why hunt animals when you can buy food and meat when you have the money. Risking your life hunting animals when there are large predators like Bears, wolves etc.. does not make sense.

Once in a year if you hunt so that you do not get rusty, looks OK.
Um, because i grew up hunting with my dad and brothers. Its a passion of ours and a hobby. Why do you not hunt?

jhim

FNG
I carry a revolver in a holster attached to my bino harness even though I have a rifle. My thoughts being that when hiking the revolver will be faster to deploy as I carry my rifle in a MR quick draw sling which isn't exactly quick. Also I don't take off the harness, so while processing an animal or refilling water or any other two handed task I don't worry that I might have laid my rifle too far away.