Bear diet/food sources in the fall around Tahoe

OP
K

kon

FNG
I was doing some searching on Google Earth last night... unless we're talking about exploring the eastern slope (close to Nevada or Nevada) not too far south of Tahoe, then it looks like I'll be driving west/southwest and looking for areas at lower altitude, probably along highway 88.

Weather forecast looks nasty this weekend. Still going to go? My (very limited) experience has been during storms I don't see bears, but the day after I've seen them. Could just be it's harder to glass during the storm, both because of snow obscuring the view, and it being so damn cold.

MattB

WKR
100%. Really appreciate you taking the time to write that, I’ll look into areas at lower elevations 👍

I would go lower for sure, not sure I buy into the notion of going east as most of the food (mast crops) are west.

I would go lower for sure, not sure I buy into the notion of going east as most of the food (mast crops) are west.
I don't think the direction will matter. But when in the southern portion of the easter slope this time of year, I generally find several bears within a very few square miles. I assumed that the OP is very close to the easter slope. However, I am sure that bears can be found at lower elevations in both directions. The OP simply needs to concentrate of finding fresh sign first; i.e., cover lots of ground until fresh sign is located.

OP
K

kon

FNG
So I've gone out a couple times this week, once I chose a spot at around 6800' feet to the west along highway 88. Didn't see any bear sign or life. Yesterday I tried going south/east past Markleeville down to 6k, saw some does and old bear sign but no bears. We're supposed to get some snow here this weekend so I was thinking about driving to my usual hunting area (around 7k ft) and looking for tracks, although I've never done that and I'm not sure how viable that approach is.

Moserkr

WKR
After a storm like the one coming through now, I find tracks in snow dropping out of the high country into the 5-6k range which is around snowline. Also manzanita country... its time to look lower. Cold weather in the single digits and snow will kill the food up high and burn too many calories the bears need for winter. Find the biggest manzanita patch you can and sneak in from a distance. They could be feeding all day but will bail if disturbed and head to thick timber or another more secluded patch nearby. South facing slopes with lots of sun will be the ticket if its cold n wet too. Just be weary of sneaking into a berry patch, you’re in for some up close action. Hopefully you can find one that you can shoot into from a vantage point.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
They eat the evergreen berries this time of year and tear into the logs for bugs and larva. They also tear into the bases of trees for roots. I’ve also seen them fishing the shores small alpine lakes along the shallow shores or on stream crossings.

The non trash bears in the greater Tahoe area can be found hugging the edge of the tree line just before it turns into open granite and manzanita. They frequent the deer trails as travel ways between water and feeding areas.