• The forum is under construction. Thanks for your patience

Bear fence???

icb12

I personally haven't had great luck with bear fences. Specifically the UDAP fence. Seems like with a curious bear it worked, but with a bear that knows what it wants on the other side it's not much good. I have distinct memories of turning on the fence around a meatpile one morning, hiking up a ridge, glassing back at camp and watching a bear go right through it.
Friend has a different model that he pieced together from a cattle supply place. It's got some juice. He says it works.
And If I remember right Troutbum (above^^) has something different than a UDAP fence as well and he's had success with it.

Pinesol is legit. They don't like it at all. Never used it at a camp but used to put it in and around my dumpster after the area started having bear problems. Landlord thought I was some kind of bear whisperer. My mom used to use pinesol in a squirtgun; we lived in a place outside of Gustavus where the black bears were pretty thick. She'd run them off with the pinesol squirt gun. I remember being young and watching my mom squirt one through the screen door.

If you do go with a bear fence take care in how you wire it. You want to wire if possible so that said critter hits a ground and hot at the same time, don't gamble that a bear is well grounded through its feet. Also lowest wire should be ground to keep shrubbery/grass from shorting you out.

AKBorn

I think Pine Sol, bear fence, chlorine tablets are all aimed primarily at deterring nuisance or curious bears. Agree with Larry that they will not deter a bear committed to doing harm. That's what the rifles and pistols are for.

AK Troutbum

I think Pine Sol, bear fence, chlorine tablets are all aimed primarily at deterring nuisance or curious bears. Agree with Larry that they will not deter a bear committed to doing harm. That's what the rifles and pistols are for.
Yeah, I completely agree. Kind of like pepper spray IMO, although I often take a fence, but I’ve never (and probably will never), own a can of pepper spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

Does anyone have faith in the electric bear fences?
Yeah, I have faith. I've used mine on Kodiak and near Yellowstone. One spot on Kodiak we were camped near a lake that was on a travel route for those bears. One morning we had a big muddy track where a bear went right up to the fence.

Near Yellowstone last yr we were backpacked in, had a fresh snow that showed the same- bear went right up to the fence during the night.

I've got Rancher buddies that use these fences a lot for cattle and they emphasized the importance of a good ground....otherwise you won't get the full charge in these fences...or possibly nuthin. I use 2 ground rods connected by a 14ga wire and can get a good ground even in sandy soil- at least so far so good.

A crucial piece of kit is one of the testers...they weigh nothing...and they let you know if you are getting a full charge in your fence.

Kevin Dill

And it's worth keeping in mind that wilderness bears have NO experience or familiarity with the feel of electric shock in any form. It's a totally foreign and negative experience when they encounter it. That fact helps explain why it doesn't take a lot of juice to get them running. They smell man....they smell camp....they're already suspicious and on edge. A jolt of electricity confirms it's a bad place for them. Because bears are great at associating things, the next time they smell or see camp they'll remember their visit was bad for them.

BINGO on the good grounding and same on the tester. A poorly grounded fence is basically no fence. Your grounding stake/spike/rod must be long enough to reach constantly moist soil and make good contact. Aluminum is a very good conductor, and an 18" piece of conduit makes a better ground rod versus an 8" spike. I usually have a couple of the Kifaru SST tipi stakes in my gear and can use them to assure a good ground.

robie

Which brand of fence are you guys liking?

icb12 would you buy UDAP fence again?

What about Counter Assault brand?

Any others I should check out?

I'm putting bear fence in the piece of mind category not guaranteed bear deterrent.