Bear Fence?

Are you taking an electric bear fence this year?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure yet

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I tried out my UDAP this weekend. I thought it wasn't working and I kept fussing with it without a result. My son walked up in barefeet on the grass and grabbed it...it was working. He got a good zap. I was wearing running shoes and apparently was totally grounded. I tried it barefoot. Good shock.

AKBorn

WKR
for the guys who don't take a bear fence how do you store your meat to prevent bears from getting into it? are the trees tall enough to hang the meat?
If you're flying with 40 Mile - haul the meat back to the ridgetop where they drop you, and give them a call on the sat phone. They can typically send a plane by the next day to pick up the meat and store it in their chilled boxcar until your party returns to Tok.

If you're flying with Zach from Tok Air Service, I am not sure if he does a meat haul, you might ask him.

In typical 40 mile country, the trees are not tall enough to hang the meat where a bear could not reach it.

Good luck!

i am taking the same 45X45 UDAP fence into the 40 mile area next week. if nothing else for peace of mind as we dont deal with many bears in Tx. as for touching the fence to test it, wear some thick shoes and use the back of your hand. it wasn't bad at all when i tried it a few days ago.

We are taking the same fence for our meat/food prep area......

Hunting 40 mile herd as well....

GotDraw?

WKR
Actually, if you were wearing running shoes and got NO shock from your fence, then you were NOT grounded and that is why you did not get shocked. If you were grounded, then the better the ground, the stronger the shock would be.

Bare feet allows you to ground (unless soil is extremely dry and non-conductive, or a gravel bar that is also poorly grounded). In AK, if you are camped on a gravel bar, then you may need Ground wires AND Hot wires in alternating pattern on your fence.

JL

I tried out my UDAP this weekend. I thought it wasn't working and I kept fussing with it without a result. My son walked up in barefeet on the grass and grabbed it...it was working. He got a good zap. I was wearing running shoes and apparently was totally grounded. I tried it barefoot. Good shock.