Bear Fence

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone out there looking to sell their bear fence? Just checking around before I buy new. Thanks

nitrobro2

FNG
Not sure where you're going, but we rented one on Kodiak. Rental outfit dropped it with our transporter. Worked out really well.

cgasner1

WKR

I’ve been looking at these also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
If you go to the local Farm Fleet stores you can find D battery units way cheaper than the folks marketing for bears. If not backpacking there is some new mesh grid chicken fence that is cool.

WyoArk

FNG
That’s the thing. I agree I could build it cheaper. I’ve done so in the past. I built a fence for my coon dogs. The bear fence is supposed to be 3.1 pounds. That’s a lot lighter than the contraptions I built. Maybe there is something at TSC that runs off of AA’s???

Legend

WKR
In my opinion the commercial bear fences are sub par compared to one you can build for less cost and weight. Get a D battery unit as the AA ones are short on juice. If in country with trees buy screw in insulators. Bring as much wire as you need and a tensioner for each line. Pretty simple.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing that all fences in the mountains need is an alternating hot and ground wire setup. I run 5 wires around camp, 3 hot, 2 ground. Sometimes I only use 3 and somtimes when meat is involved I use 7 wires ( bullet proof). You are kidding yourself if you count on the earth to provide your ground (way too dry).

PM me if you need more info

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Just info....we went to the golf pro shop and got take off carbon shafts for free. He had a drum full. Ultra light and pointed end pushed in ground easily. Electrical tape to secure wire.