Bear Hide Display Ideas

I killed my first bear in AZ last year and for now i'm just getting it soft tanned rather than getting a rug. I need the $ for other things right now. I'm just looking for some inspiration on how to display it where the kids won't get to it.

EastMT

WKR
I killed my first bear in AZ last year and for now i'm just getting it soft tanned rather than getting a rug. I need the $ for other things right now. I'm just looking for some inspiration on how to display it where the kids won't get to it.

I hung my small ones that don’t warrant a rug or mount on a fur board. My wife asked how many more, I said well when I get enough to wallpaper the living room haha.

I’ve also hung them on a nail in a living room corner of the decor and wife are good with it

46586bcff78923bd10b223a4489dcabb.jpg
f19e4cbebd4e759b213c4aa008282aa9.jpg

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

Would be cool to just tack up a soft tanned hide stretched out like it would be during tanning, mountain man style.

1579208729434.png

1579208843336.png

That said I was pretty broke when I shot my first bear, scrounged up a few hundred bucks for a deposit and saved my ass off over the next 9 months or so...rugs aren't a quick process, some people wait 18+ months to get one back. After all was said and done it definitely wasn't cheap but I've never regretted it, you can always get a soft tanned hide rugged in the future just make sure the tannery knows that may be in the cards.

3tqOiXx.jpg

as.ks.ak

WKR
I don’t have a picture on hand. But I just had mine soft tanned and then threw it up on the wall. Pinned it out just like a rug would be. I’m plenty happy with it.

The other one I have rolled up and strapped to an old trapper Nelson pack.

The few others I’m having soft tanned currently, I’m going to dabble in sewing a soft fleece blanket to the back and my wife can use it as a throw blanket on the couch.

I’ll post some pics later.

Okay, it’s later....here’s one.

d31c1bc4dfa462bbc82d9767a5af8d4e.jpg

And that actually is just the back half of this bear, so not even a whole bear.

724428907a87cd25837ed788c4e1ab7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don’t have a picture on hand. But I just had mine soft tanned and then threw it up on the wall. Pinned it out just like a rug would be. I’m plenty happy with it.

The few others I’m having soft tanned currently, I’m going to dabble in sewing a soft fleece blanket to the back and my wife can use it as a throw blanket on the couch.

Love those pack frame mounts, part of me can never help but wonder what percentage actually came out of the woods on a trapper nelson but they sure look awesome!

OP
Hatchet Jack
those are some cool ideas, thanks guys. My hope is that i'll get a good color phase bear one day and i'll rug that one but i like the versatility of just leaving this one tanned for now. aasmith i love that goat in the pack

I really like this idea and am going to have to remember it when I get a bear

VernAK

WKR
I did a Trapper Nelson with a Dall Sheep. Love it and didn't break the bank. I also like the hanging hides that coop posted.

Early on, I had a couple heads mounted and quickly determined there were less expensive ways to enjoy the trophy without spending money that could be used for future hunts.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I did a Trapper Nelson with a Dall Sheep. Love it and didn't break the bank. I also like the hanging hides that coop posted.

Early on, I had a couple heads mounted and quickly determined there were less expensive ways to enjoy the trophy without spending money that could be used for future hunts.

That’s exactly where I’m at now. Learned the hard way. But it’s fun to have those conversation pieces. If you’re fortunate enough, I found a local business owner that wants to display my latest goat in his brewery-full body style. Cool way to get someone else to foot the bill and to still get to appreciate your animal. Of course I’m getting replica horns made for the mount and keeping the euro for my damn self!

It’ll be cool to walk in there and see him whenever I want though. And for the community to be able to see and appreciate the local animals. Not to mention the 1,000,000,000 tourists/year that will get to see him.