Bear hindquarter / ham

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Guys,
I have 2 bear rear quarters one on the bone and just the meat off the other. I’m wanting to use the instant pot but don’t want to ruin the meat.. Any suggestions on a recipe or a way to cook it? This is a first time for bear meat.

Wrench

WKR
I've pressure cooked them with spices and liquid smoke, smoked them, smoked them then pressure cooked them.....basically anything low and slow willmake them tender.

I've never screwed one up yet.....I've cooked a lot of bears.

BAKPAKR

WKR
After removing as much fat as possible, my mom used to heavily salt and pepper a boned out ham, sear the top and bottom in a big Dutch oven, fill the Dutch the rest of the way up with slices onion and cream of mushroom soup and then bake all afternoon. People who hadn’t been “warned” that it was bear assumed it was a really good beef roast.

I still use her method.

We love bear meat in soups....like a bear barley and vegetables cooked most of the day on the stove top. For whatever reasons our slow cooker gets too hot for this but not for roasts. Enjoy!

Trial153

WKR
I have brined, then seasoned, netted then smoked boneless bear hams. As long as they are fully trimmed of fat they come out excellent.

How absolutely terrible is fall bear that have been eating on fish? I am going to Alaska this fall and am told nobody keeps the meat due to the bears being on fish.

How absolutely terrible is fall bear that have been eating on fish? I am going to Alaska this fall and am told nobody keeps the meat due to the bears being on fish.

Late summer/ early fall, there'll be plenty of bears up on the slopes eating berries....hunt those bears...
...I like Lipton onion soup mix with bear meat myself....

jhm2023

WKR
My favorite thing to do with bear hams if it's a bigger bear is cure and smoke them. I have those in place of store bought hams for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I coat them with a paste of brown sugar, cayenne pepper and pineapple juices and put pineapple rings on top. They turn out great.

OP
Wildatheart

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
Thawing the bear meat out to Cut it off the bone and clean it up. This obviously should have been done before but we didn’t have time with the OTC public land 1500 miles away from home situation we were in. So I’m planning on starting to thaw it and then cut it and then immediately start the cooking process. Are there any certain ways to thaw a bear hindquarter / meat out?